Rome hotel room/suite for 4 adults

Old May 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome hotel room/suite for 4 adults

Hello,
We are a group of 4 adults all family (3 of us in our late twenties and my mother) and will be spending 4 nights in Rome in mid-October. I was hoping to find recommendations for quadruple rooms/suites. It seems to be the most economical to book a quadruple but if anyone has experience with this all advice is welcomed (realistically 4 adults in one room?). Looking to stay under $350/night. It will be everyone's first trip to Rome so I am also open to recommendations on location. Initially I was considering Trastevere but since it is our first trip I am now considering a more central location. But would anyone recommend the Monti district?
Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
saccok, you may have better luck with an apartment, which you can often rent for periods of 3 nights and upwards. you will probably find that you can get a 2 bedded apartment for the same price as a quad room [which you probably would find very cramped].

There is a recent thread about Monti v Trastevere for a first stay in Rome; either would require some use of public transport to get to the major sights of Rome but then even if you stay in the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo dei Fiori areas [about as central as you can get] you will probably find yourselves using buses at one time or another.

There are lots of threads about apartment rentals in Rome here, or you could google agencies like Sleep in Italy which gets good reviews.
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:30 PM

If you are asking "would anyone recommend the Monti district?" I am sure that the answer is yes, surely someone would.

I'm a fairly frequent visitor to Rome and I would not recommend Monti to first time visitors, but rest assured that someone will say I'm way off base.

A problem with Trastevere will be finding quad rooms.

Are you sure you want quad rooms? That's four adults in a tiny Rome bathroom, and probably a small room, too. I don't think it would work for me.

How about apartments?

I just did a random search for 4 nights, 4 people in mid October, on venere.com, and some good possibilities turned up in your price range.
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:48 PM

If you are asking "would anyone recommend the Monti district?" I am sure that the answer is yes, surely someone would.>>

tuscan - we did stay in Monti for our first trip to Rome, and i got thoroughly told off by someone for saying that in retrospect I didn't think that it was a good idea. Of course it's reasonably close to the Colosseum and Forum, and Termini, and several other well known sights, but it's quite a long trek to most other places that first timers want to be.

Certainly, the second time we went we stayed near the Piazza Navona and as a location, that was far better for exploring the centre. I've now stayed near the Vatican too, and again, I wouldn't recommend that for a first stay, unless there were very good reasons for doing so.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:11 PM

We have reservations at Hotel Adriano for our group of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) this summer. It's near Piazza Navona/Pantheon and gets good reviews. We booked a junior suite which has a pullout sofa and a king bed on a loft. We like that there are 1 1/2 baths. $300/night. They also have deluxe suites and apartments with more room which may still be within your budget.

http://www.hoteladriano.com/en/camere-hotel.html
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:23 PM

We just stayed at Domus Liberius in Rome. It is a bed and breakfast that offers double rooms, but the rate is very reasonable! We rented two rooms for our family, and they took wonderful care of us! The location is quite near the coliseum and across the street from the Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica. I can't recommend it enough!

Sincerely,
www.grieftrip.com
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would try to find two inexpensive double rooms. Or get an apartment. A quad room = 4 adults and 1 bathroom... no thanks.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:47 PM

I rented this apartment last year. It is a 2-bedroom, 2-bath. Each of the two bedrooms has twin beds and there are also 2 twin fold-out chairs/beds in the living room.

The kitchen was very useful and there is even a washing machine. It has a lovely terrace where you can dine or just have an afternoon drink. It is on the fifth floor, with a lift.

The neighborhood was great, and the public transportation can't be beat. The apartment is right in front of a tram stop, several bus stops and a 1-minute walk to the regional train station. We loved it.

It is also very affordable. (There will be people here who comment about the cost of then having to take public transit, as this is deep in Trastavere. However, for about $35 pp, you get unlimited use of tram, buses, regional trains and the Metro system...for a week.)

http://www.rentalinrome.com/trasteve...lconyapartment

Good luck! You'll absolutely love Italy!
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:10 PM

In the summer of 2012 I travelled with my family to Rome and had a tough time finding suitable accommodations.From my copious notes, I can tell you the following (not updated since summer 2012 so please double check to make sure this info is still relevant):

Quad room at the Albergo Santa Chiara near the Pantheon

Quad room at Albergo del Senato outside the pantheon (where we ended up - excellent)

Other less expensive options with family rooms are:

Hotel Due Torri, Piazza Navona

De Cesari, around Pantheon

Hotel Modigliani, around Spanish Steps

Hotel Mozart, around Spanish Steps

Your other option as mentioned is to rent an apartment and there are many threads dealing with this, and suggestions on rental companies to use. www.sleepinitaly.com is a good starting point for sure.

Also, another apartment is located at Palazzo Olivia near Piazza Navona - solid 2 bedroom places in a good location with a/c.

Good luck with this and please post back to let us know what you find!
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:44 PM

I stayed at the Atlante Garden hotel, near the Vatican and it was a comfortable quad room.

We stayed June 2013,and had a fantastic time, walking distance to the Vatican.
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:52 PM

I haven´t stayed there yet, but Hotel Azzurra has quad rooms. It is near Barberini metro station.

I have stayed in quads before when traveling with friends. It works best if everyone is considerate - if not except trouble. For example, I have had to tell someone that they can´t do their 45 minute make-up/hair ritual in the only bathroom when there are three other people waiting to use it.
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:51 AM

An apartment is sometimes a good solution, but it's another thing that I hesitate to recommend to first-time visitors, for the following reasons:

1. You have to do a lot more research to find an apartment than to find a hotel. Almost every hotel has copious reviews, whereas most apartments have very few or none. It's not enough to get reviews of the listing agent, because many of the problems that can arise are the fault of the owner, not the agency. You need to find reviews of the specific apartment.

2. You usually have to pay the considerable balance due in cash on arrival. This means either getting euros at home and traveling with a lot of cash on your person, or making multiple withdrawals at an ATM as soon as you arrive. (ATMs usually have a limit, often €250, on the amount that can be withdrawn).

3. You usually have to call the keyholder or agent from the airport as soon as you arrive so that they can meet you at the apartment for the key/cash transfer. If you don't have a phone that will work in Italy, this can be a problem.

4. In a hotel, the front desk can be a considerable resource for calling taxis, giving advice about transportation, holding your luggage before check-in time and after check-out time, and helping in an emergency. In an apartment, you're totally on your own.

5. In my case, when I stay in an apartment, usually because I'm traveling with a family group, I seem to be the one stuck with the housekeeping chores, such as shopping for basic necessities for the apartment, and tidying up. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by hair in the shower drain, but let's just say, I much prefer to come back in the evening and find the beds made up and the bathroom cleaned.

Anyway, if you have a tight budget, you're not likely to find an apartment that sleeps four and has two bathrooms.
Old May 11th, 2014, 02:00 AM

If money is an issue you'll be better off with two twins than one quadruple. Another advantage is you'd have two bathrooms.
Old May 11th, 2014, 05:18 AM

I'm part of a group of six adults (three couples) going to Rome and we decided to go for an apartment- in our case it was much more economical as each couple wanted their own room. With four it sounds like you have some decent hotel options as well. However, if you're willing to do the legwork, I still think an apartment could be a good option given your budget. It's not for everyone of course, and bvlenci's synopsis above on things to consider is great.

Take a look at VRBO, AirBnB, the Bed and Bath Association of Rome, Cross-Pollinate, and Roman Reference. The search can be overwhelming, honestly, but you can easily narrow it down by your must haves (e.g., 2 BR/2BA, particular neighborhood, price range, etc.). For peace of mind, we ended up only seriously considering properties that had a lot of reviews and responsive owners.
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:17 AM

bvl, i agree with all that, but when travelling with teens, [perhaps that should read MY teens!] even in a new place, I'd prefer to be in an apartment. We had a go in Garda at staying in a hotel in 2 adjoining rooms and after that we decided that an apartment where we could all relax together on proper chairs rather than all squashing together in one room on the bed or on the floor would be preferable.

Yes we had to carry around quite a lot of cash to pay for the apartment on arrival [ DH and i had 1/2 each] yes, we needed to phone to say they we had arrived, and yes, we had to manage without a hotel front desk, but we had lots more space, the atmosphere was far more convivial, and I love food shopping in Italy! I appreciate that may be not be such a novelty for you.

Friends thought that we were mad, but it worked out fine for us every time.
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:36 AM

Also, some places will take Paypal or credit card payment, so it's not a given that you will have to make the payment in cash.