please help me with my trip to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just started planning a 6 day trip to Italy from feb 1-7. SO far, we have booked a suite in the Danieli in Venice for the last two days of the trip (also happens to be our anniversary). We have 4 days before that and we are undecided whether we should spend them in Rome or Florence. How is tuscany in winter? Can we still rent a car and see the scenic landscapes?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM
ira

Hi B,

I would spend the 4 days in Florence, with a daytrip to Siena (1 hr on the SITA bus).

Tuscany isn't quite as green in Feb as it is in June.

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Whether it's green or brown, the Tuscan landscape is worth seeing and driving around in.
I'd suggest renting a car for a couple of days and visit the Chianti areas and other small towns.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM
DRJ

Two days at the Danieli! I'd spend your other four days at the Russie in Rome. A marvelous hotel with a beautiful private garden, a quartet playing at dinner and Rome's glitterati.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Hard choice - while Florence is beautiful, Rome is awesome. My husband did both in April and really adored Rome for its beautiful scenery and rich history.

We did Florence in a day and a half - didn't think we needed to spend much more time there. The city is small and we walked most of it on foot in one day, seeing both the Uffizi Gallery and the David.

There is so much in Rome that you could really spend 4 days taking it all in. Hotel suggestion in Rome would be Hotel San Carlo http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/index.htm
Ask for a newly renovated room (I think we stayed in room #71) It has a few flights of stairs to get there, but the rooms are very modern in amenities and a large bathroom by Italy standards!

good luck with your decision
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Everyone thank you so much for your comments. Deciding between Rome and Florence has been a very difficult choice. There is so much I want to do in both cities. I think I will go to Florence this time and hopfully in the future I can do Rome and then go and relax either in the amalfi coast or lake como.
From florence I definitely want to take day trips to see the leaning tower of pizza and the piazza del campo. Is assisi also worth a visit? As for the driving that I want to do to see the tuscany landscape where shall I go?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM

With only four days, and especially in winter, and given that you say you plan another trip to Italy - I would not bother renting a car. I would do 3 or 4 nights in Florence. You could easily spend all four days there but if you want you could do a day trip to Siena (on the bus) which would give you a feel for a slightly smaller Tuscan city. And you can see some of the countryside from the bus.

You could also go to Pisa (on the train) but with such limited time I don't think I'd bother, unless you have a huge urge to see it. I went there last summer but I had spent a total of about a month in Italy in the past two years and it was way near the bottom of my list. "Worth it" - sure, but not one of the things I'd choose for my first few days in Italy. Siena would be a much better choice (IMO) for a day trip than Pisa. If you do choose Pisa though, since it really only takes a half day, stop in Lucca on the way back. A very enjoyable city and easy to combine with Pisa as a Florence day trip.

Why only two days in Venice? Most people (myself included) seem to feel three days is a good amount for Venice. If it were me I'd do 3 night Florence (with day trip to Siena) and 3 Venice.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
mjs

Agree with Isabel.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Well, we choose 2 days only in Venice because we have been there before (honeymoon 6 years ago). Meanwhile this will be our first time to Florence.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM

In that case I'd spend all 4 nights in Florence. The person who said they didn't need more than a day and a half in Florence probably only did the two big museums and the duomo. There are soooo many churches all over Florence, all with wonderful art in them. Not to mention just wandering around the city. Not to mention the shopping. Not to mention the view from Piazza Michelangelo. Maybe you can tell, I really like Florence. But with four days I'd definitly go to Siena for one of them. Have a great time.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:07 AM
ira

Good advice from Isabel.

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Hi, I agree with Isabel. Florence should be enjoyed longer than 1 1/2 days. But to give you the taste of Tuscany and ensure you return, I would take at least one day of touring perhaps to San Gimignano and Siena.
Have you decided where to stay in Florence? I know of a great place, similar in style to the Danieli in Venice.
www.travelworlddiscovery.com
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:32 AM

hi b

going to tuscany and not seeing the countryside is like going to Rome and not seeing the vatican
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I'm one who is not a fan of Florence. It is my least favorite major tourist destination in Europe.

It doesn't help that I don't particularly care for Renaissance art.

The combination of crowds, traffic, noise, air pollution, and Renaissance art makes Florence a 1-1/2 day stop in my mind--1-1/2 days including a day trip to Pisa or some other destination of interest. It doesn't help the city's case that it's the only place in over 40 years of travel where someone in our party has been a crime victim.

That does not mean that I consider people who like Florence to be ignorant, stupid, or otherwise inferior. It only means that Florence is not for me. We all have different backgrounds, likes/dislikes, and expectations from our travel experiences. Heck, I have a German friend who loves visiting Detroit of all places.

Unfortunately, for reasons largely beyond my control, I've had to endure 4 miserable trips to Florence over the past 44 years.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:14 AM

Just my 2 cents, but I'd save Tuscany for a "nicer" time of year. Rome gives you many great options. If the weather gets ugly, there's many indoor places to see.
The only reason I would choose Florence (for your trip)is that it's closer to Venice.
If, however, I did choose Florence I would plan on renting a car and hitting much of the countryside.
I love Assissi, but it's a long day trip from Florence. Since your "sold" on Pisa (IMHO worth a very short stop), plan on Lucca the same day.
Weather is the key. Last year part of our trip (May) was cold and rainy, not the best time to be in Tuscany. Don't be surprised to see some snow. Personally,I'd prefer it to a driving rain.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:30 AM

The good thing about Florence in February is that you won't have to fight the truly horrific (imho) summer crowds. The bad thing is what jabez said. To me, "scenic landscapes" and "dreary rainy winter bare" just aren't the same. A dusting of snow, however, would cheer me up. Perhaps not if I was driving, though. Depends on what appeals to you. I'd either limit myself to Florence proper + a bus (quickest) daytrip to Siena, or I'd go to Rome this time.