Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me schedule the Scavi tour and Nero's Golden House.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a reservation for Scavi Tour for noon on Sat Oct. 18. I would like to see Nero's Golden House. Is it poosible to schedule both of those the sam day, or should we do Nero's House on Friday afternoon.

What time should we leave the Spanish Steps on Sat to get to the Scavi Tour by noon? What is in the area of the tour (we've done the Vatican) in case we decide to do Nero's House on another day?

As always

Thanks

Diane
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Hi
I'm afraid I don't understand your last question "what is in the area of the tour" but I'll give this a shot anyway.

The Scavi Tour is in the crypt underneath St Peter's Basilica. From the Spanish Steps, if you are walking, I'd allow an hour. It probably won't take you that long, but that's how long I'd allow because I hate being late and the Scavi tours have lots of rules.
Alternatively, you can take the metro from the Spanish Steps to a stop near the Vatican (forget the name) but you'll still have to walk a ways.

The Domus Aurea (Golden House) is up on a hill across the street from and overlooking the Colosseum. In fact, the Colosseum was built on the site of Nero's palace's lake. You need a timed entrance ticket. Your hotel can reserve for you a day or two in advance, or you can just take your chances and go. If you have to wait for a tour, the gardens are pleasant and there are benches if the weather is good. The tour itself takes less than an hour, maybe as little as 30 minutes, don't recall precisely.
Let me warn you that not all tours of the DA offered to English speakers are actually offered in comprehensible English. My guide was very difficult to understand. I believe there is an audio taped guide as an alternative.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

It seems that we would be able to do the Scavi at noon and have plenty of time to do a tour of Nero's Golden House later that afternoon. I understand the Scavi takes about an hour. What is the best way to get to DA from Scavi? It sounds like a taxi will be necessary. Are they hard to get at St Peter"s. How long will it take to get to Nero's from st. Peters?

Thanks

Diane
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:01 PM
pam

Diane,

You could take a bus from St Peters to the Colosseum/Domus Aurea area, the subway to Colosseum stop, or take a taxi.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting a taxi at Pza S Pietro. A taxi ride would take maybe 15 minutes.

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:38 PM

I think it would be easy. We did them on separate days, but I did visit Nero's Golden House and the Vatican dome on the same day. Rome's subway system is limited, but this is one case when it works for you. You can take the subway from the Colosseum to one of the Vatican area stops or vice versa.