Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Please help me plan a trip to London and Paris!

Please help me plan a trip to London and Paris!

Oct 29th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Please help me plan a trip to London and Paris!

Hi everyone-
I am thinking about visiting my family in England over the Xmas/New Year's holiday. My departure date would be Dec.27 and return by Jan.3 or 4. They live in Torquay, Devon. What I"m thinking is I could spend a few days with them and then a few days at their flat in London. I would also like to go to Paris but realize I might not have enough time. I live in New York City.

Some questions:
1. How long is the train from Torquay to London? Where can I find a schedule and how much does it cost?

2. What is the name of the train that goes from London to Paris? How long does it take? How can I find out the schedule and cost?

3. I see Air France has some specials from NYC to London and Paris for around $300, but when I type in the info it comes out to over $600. Any other options? I checked Travelocity and Expedia and they are more in the $400 range. The other day I saw one for $350. I know that is not the most popular time of the year to visit Europe so I'd like to find a good deal.

I may just end up going to England to relax and shop but I wanted to see about Paris. Sorry to sound so clueless-I travel mostly to the South Pacific and although I've been to Europe it's a bit intimidating for me. Possibly because of the language barrier, who knows?? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:07 AM
ira

Hi abby,

The train from london to paris the eurostar. www.eurostar.com
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:47 AM

For trains in Britain please see www.qjump.co.uk/. For Eurostar to Paris please see www.eurostar.com/ You are travelling at peak dates, so need to book your seats on all express trains a month ahead of travel. Torquay to London Paddington with a change at Newton Abbot takes three hours. You can save travel time if you take an evening bus or train in an hour from Torquay to Plymouth, board a women only standard class two berth sleeper at 2300, arrive at London Paddington at 0510, and transfer to London Waterloo for the Eurostar train at 0629 or 0634 to Paris at 1023 (but on Sundays 90 minutes later from London to Paris).

[email protected]
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I can't help you on the train, but that is actually a very popular time of year to visit London or Paris so many cheap winter airfare specials will have blackout dates around the major holidays. A lot of people like to travel over holidays. If you have really found airfares in the $350-400 range RT for the dates you want, I'd grab it. I don't think you can ever get those routes much cheaper than that, maybe $300 rarely. Generally, you might find some lower fares traveling right on Christmas or New Years, and the later return after Jan 1st, the more likely. YOur departure on 12/27 is better than just before Christmas. Jan 1st is Thursday, so trying to get a return flight that Sunday is probably not going to yield many bargains.
Oct 30th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help. Please keep it coming if there is more I should know. What are some good airlines to fly to London aside from American, United, BA, Lufthansa? Maybe I can get a good deal elsewhere?

Search this Thread