PLEASE help me pack?

Apr 18th, 1998, 11:22 AM
CJ

PLEASE help me pack?

Going to Europe does anyone know how many pieces of luggage are allowed on the plane. Also, how many carry on's are allowed and by any chance can anyone tell me the approximate size. I know the US is getting very strict about this. This is my first trip overseas and am not familar with rules. Thanks in advance.

Apr 18th, 1998, 05:42 PM
Peg

No matter how many pieces of luggage you are allowed, just take ONE, any more than that travel stops being fun!!!

Apr 18th, 1998, 07:25 PM
Arizona

Here's a helping hand, CJ. Check out Rick Steves' web site -- www.ricksteves.com -- and see what he advises regarding what you take with you. More to the point, it's what you DO NOT take that will make or break your vacation trip. Take half the clothes and twice the funds -- an old (but true) adage. You will thank Rick three times a day if you take his advice: go light.

Apr 20th, 1998, 09:22 AM
Christina

There is a simple way to get the answer to this --
simply call up the airline you have a ticket on and
ask them. It would be more accurate than posting a
question on a public BB. Anyway, I believe it
varies by carrier and also may vary within Europe
(i.e., transatlantic flights usu. allow more than
within Europe flights). A safe assumption is two
checked pieces and one carryon. However, you can
always check more, if you pay an extra fee -- I've
done this, and it doesn't cost that much, so is
fine in a pinch. Tourists usu shouldn't have to
do this unless transporting some unusual item there
or back.

Apr 22nd, 1998, 02:53 PM
Joann

I would suggest that you take as much as you would be comfortable carrying by yourself in the rain through busy streets with a lot of traffic at night in a city where you don't speak the language and don't know where you are going.

Apr 24th, 1998, 02:54 AM
peg

Joann, What you have said is so right, I have never heard a truer description of us arriving in Vienna last year, the hotel we eventually found, let us leave one suitcase there until we arrived back 4 weeks later to pick it up on our way back to Oz

Apr 26th, 1998, 03:33 PM
Donna

Yes, stay with one carry on and a checked bag. I haven't been able to get down to a duffel bag but I can pack in one of those small wheeled bags. We Americans have a problem with being caught wearing the same thing twice--let alone two days in a row. Unless you are on business, stick to one or two pairs of jeans and tops to wear two days each. You are not going to be a fashion plate but you will enjoy the fact that you are not lugging tons of clothes with you.

Apr 26th, 1998, 05:57 PM
Marty

Just be sure to pack in your carry on bag anything that you would need should everything else be lost for some or all of your trip!

Apr 26th, 1998, 09:51 PM
Jan M

There's a great web site with all sorts of information on things about travel, including packing at www.artoftravel.com
I agree about one bag (with wheels for preference) and one carry on. Be careful about carry ons because many airlines only allow fairly small ones, much smaller than you may be used to on doomestic flights. If your bag is too full at the end, post your used clothing home.

Apr 29th, 1998, 12:16 AM
Kathie

I am now living in Germany and realize what I do and did not need in terms of clothes. If this is your first time in Europe, I would definitely buy a good pair of walking shoes, a raincoat, jeans, shorts, and anything that you can layer. I would advise against bringing more than one suitcase, because regardless of whether or not you have a hotel reservation in each city, you will most likely be carrying it around. For most cities, it is always cheaper to take a bus or metro to your hotel, so you want something easily manageable. Pack light and decide ahead of time what you'll need. Try to avoid bringing appliances since it just weighs you down. Have a backpack as well. Regardless you can buy what you need in any city, so don't carry alot of toiletries and the like. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.