Please help me navigate the Prague Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never flown alone internationally but have the opportunity to meet up for a long weekend with hubby, who will be working in Prague later this month. Basically, I need tips on my arrival at the airport, customs, finding an ATM to get some Korunas, and getting a taxi to the hotel.

Any suggestions to make it a little easier for a Texas hick chick?
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:12 AM

I think you should
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:17 AM

We travelled to Prague back in 2006> It is pretty easy to catch the bus into town..just check the busstops outside the airport and ask which bus to catch to wherever youre going.
There are ATMs..lol OH managed to mistake a parking ticket machine for an ATM!
If youre getting a taxi do watch out...there are uninsured vehicles that will charge you the earth...we know cos we were conned to get one from our hotel...the guy said it was his uncle and we thought nothing of it until we were charged about 3x the amount that we had paid earlier to go a similar distance.
Look for the AA taxis I think they are known as...someone here will correct me, if Im wrong or you can ask at the airport.
Customs werent a problem - we got through quickly.
Most people speak English and we found them to be friendly.
Do be careful round the touristy areas - pickpockets around and I was approached by a guy trying to sell me weed round the Square. Count your change and know how to work out the money beforehand. We were shortchanged a couple of times..only minor amounts but still makes you feel foolish..

Stoleti(sp?) ... Means a hundred years or century i think) ..is a good authentic Czech restaurant that has really good ambience and nice food...in the artists quarters from memory..i just asked a passerby who recommended it...suggested not to go to the ones the hotels push...
All the best!
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ATM, check on the outside to confirm you will get Koruna, at least one offers euros but in BIG letters. You hotel should tell the bus and tram changes you need to get there (probably you will nee both) if you need to use a taxi take an official one. the airport is tiny so you just follow the flow. Note that you are not an EU citizen (had some US in our queue last night and you could see they were struggling with the concept)
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick replies. So is AA the official taxi? How can I tell?

Thanks for restaurant suggestion, lanejohann. I will make a quick note of that.

About how much money should I withdraw for taking a taxi?
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:43 AM

> Look for the AA taxis

That's AAA taxis.
http://www.cedaz.cz/img/foto/AAATAXIlimousinecar.jpg

Another good name I remember is City Taxi, I think. On the arrival hall, there are information desks. If in doubt, ask one of them for a "reliable" taxi. I have also seen on the floor of the arrival hall sticker signs in form of arrows or foot prints that you can follow to get to the correct taxi stand. Just avoid some driver coming up to you without your asking.

For op's case, taxi would be better and easier so this is just general info but one of the information desks sell bus ticket/pass. It's better to buy your correct ticket there. They speak English. Drivers very little. There are ticket machines at the bus stop but it may take time to figure it out.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:46 AM

Taxi for the city center might cost around CZK 600.00.

Read this.
http://www.pragueairport.co.uk/taxi.htm
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 06:29 AM

yes AAA is the main contractor for the airport.
you could arrange a private shuttle for 600kc.
http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/
this is the company I use,run by an American ex-pat.
Can't help with custom but Prague for me has been a very easy airport to get through but I am coming from another EU country so it is different arrival procedure.
Several ATms in the airport but avoid the Travlex ones in the actual arrival hall and use the ones in the main terminal,I Think you will come through T2 ,not sure what ATM's are there but certainly loads in T1 just a short walk along the corridor,if it is any help Prague -Airport -Shuttle will take US dollars as payment
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 07:34 AM

Just returned yesterday from Prague and the airport is a breeze. Depends on airline but I think I arrived in Terminal 2 after changing planes in Amsterdam but flew out of Terminal 1 on KLM/Delta into JFK. Warning: JFK is a nightmare. Haven't used this airport in years and was shocked at how horrible it was, especially compared to other international airports all over the world.

I used Prague Airport Shuttle based on recos here and company was very easy and reliable.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 07:41 AM

I also would recommend using a shuttle or car service instead of taxis. That way, ou know up front how much it will cost and there's a lot less chance of the taxi driver trying to cheat you.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your very helpful advice. I think a shuttle/car service is a good option for me. That way I could even skip looking for an ATM and use my credit card...I assume I would have the option to add a tip on the card. I need to go back and look at those links and see if I have to prepay.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 09:52 AM

Prague airport is very small and simple. Once you get off the plane your only choice is to head for Immigration and then baggage pick up and then customs. Just follow along with everyone else from your plane.

Sorry - can;t help with ATM as last time we arrived we had cash left from a previous visits - but if you google the airport you shuold get info.

We use cabs all the time and only one had problem - not from airport but at old town square. Ask your hotel what the cab fee should be and then agree on that with the driver before you get in. (I won't tell the whole story of what happened with the driver who tried to scam us - but at the end we paid what was fair and he was not happy. It is simply necessary to know the fair price and stick to it.)
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:04 AM

you don't have to pre pay on the link I gave you just pay the driver and as i said they will take US dollars.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:42 AM

The shuttle charges ($32.00 or 24 Euros or $600Kc). You can can pay in US$. Taxi is about the same but may not take US$. Some do, but most prefer Euros these days.

You did not say where you are staying. If you are staying outside the city center, taxi could be less (or more) expensive. I would NOT prepay for the transportation.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 02:02 PM

First thing to do when preparing to enter any new airport is to look at its website. Here is a link to the public transport page for Prague's airport. http://www.prg.aero/en/parking-trans...nsport/by-car/
Click around the site and you may find other useful info. Doing it yourself makes you smarter when you step off the plane.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM

jayne1973- If you live in a big city, then I would order korunas prior to your trip. I know this is not popular advice but I always order a starter package of cash for each destination. We have been too many places in the middle of strikes or riots to be not prepared. Next year we are doing a week each in Prague, Budapest, and Munich. I will get some cash for each destination. One more thing, I NEVER put my credit card in any ATM which does not have an open bank inside. What will you do if the ATM eats your card? It is difficult to explain problems when one does not speak the language. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Great information. I need to do some studying. I have to change planes in Frankfort. Will I go through customs there? It will be my first stop on the flight from the U.S. I only have an hour before the plane to Prague leaves.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 07:06 PM

Great to see so many replies to your post jayne...yes AAA taxis are well known ( thanks to those who picked up my error-my travel diary from that era wasnt accessible at the time I posted)...ask the driver how much the fare is before you get in..if hes vague choose another cab...the official ones should be accurate in their estimation..if youre not sure what to look for...ask someone at the airport..all the locals know the difference and whenever you ask for a taxi to be called insist on these legitimate ones..
as far as getting the local currency ordered at home...sometimes i do this...but in recent times ive not bothered...it seems that it is easy to get some when you land but if youre in a rush or theres a chance that there is a queue (unlikely) then certainly take just enough to get you through that first day
i use cashpassport here in OZ...just go into a travel agency and they sell you one ...some small percentage of what youre banking into it...this card has no name or any form of ID so it is useless if stolen..you can top it up online and use up the balance in any ATM at home upon return
otherwise i just take my normal debit card and a credit card and keep them separately
never had a problem with a machine swallowing up my card but yes it could happen-just like at home
I worry more about the double whammy charges - one from home bank and the other at the O/s machine
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:33 PM

Lynne clark,s advice about taking a small amount of czech Crowns with you is a very good one,it does not need to be a lot, but enough to get you to your hotel ,biy a coffee and a light meal just incase you have problems.
I would not use my credit or debit card for small purchases as lanejohan says you might get the double whammy of charges , this did happen to me buying a round of drinks in a hotel bar in Estonia, the charges were almost as much as the drinks.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:34 PM

when are you catually travelling, I am back in Prague on the 31st of october for a week or so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -