Search

Please help me make final decision on HOTEL in PROVENCE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me make final decision on HOTEL in PROVENCE

All you Provence experts, please help!

We have decided to add one night on our drive from Beaune to French Riviera (St. Paul). We have narrowed it down to St. Remy, Les Baux, and I'sle sur la Sorgue. I have researched all the hotel threads, emailed all the highly recommended places we can afford, and have gotten many "sorry we're full" responses. I have narrowed down to 3 places that can take us and need some advice, please!

In St. Remy:
Le Chateau de Roussan -- large room for 4 of us with park view for 130Eur (cheapest)

Chateau de Le Bournissac -- "La Blanche" suite (2 bedrooms) for 255 Eur (most expensive--Is it worth it?)

In Isle sur la Sorgue:
La Prevote -- a suite for all 4 of us for 190 Eur

Keep the following in mind...

We are arriving in the late afternoon on a Friday in June, and on Saturday morning hope to see St. Remy and Les Baux, and then drive to St. Paul for a few days. ( So we won't be staying at the hotel very much.)

The plus of staying in La Sorge is the Sun market and that we can see one more town, that is supposedly charming.

We like charming, clean, quiet, comfortable hotels with good beds. (I guess we all do!)

What do you think?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:16 AM

A recent post from another fan of the Château de Roussan indicates that the place has slipped from shabby chic to just shabby; so I'm sorry to say that I couldn't recommend it at this point.
But if you could get the ground-floor room, which was new a few years ago, that might work for you.

Have you tried the Domaine de Valmouriane? It's between St-Rémy and Les Baux and is quite nice.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:19 AM

I don't understand something. How can you leave on a Saturday for St Paul, and also visit the Sunday market in l'Isle sur la Sorgue??

I know little about the hotels you mentioned, but if you plan on visiting St Remy & Les Baux on Saturday morning, I would stay at either of those locations - not l'Isle sur la Sorgue. Its a 45 or so drive from St Remy to l'Isle sur la Sorgue through a not-that-scenic area I think St Remy is a more enjoyable town than l'Isle sur la Sorgue.

How much time do you plan to spend at the hotel?? For my dollar, if I'm only spending a quick night anywhere, I go for cheap & spend the money on dinner.

Stu Dudley

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Chateau de Le Bournissac? Or do you mean the La Maison, Domaine de Bournissac in Paluds-de-Noves? Which is lovely and has great food.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping to hear from you three.
Thanks.
And sorry for the mistakes.. I rushed through the posting this morning before rushing out of the house. (Boy, I need a vacation!)

Mimi, I messed up the name.... Yes, it's La Maison, Domaine de Bournissac. Is it not IN St. Remy?
It seems really nice. I do love a nice hotel. Wondering if you think it's worth the splurge.

Stu-- I messed up the days too. We are arriving in Provence on Saturday afternoon, and heading to St. Paul on Sunday afternoon. Good pt on not saving $$ for food.

Underhill-- Do you think I should actually ask if the room is on the 1st floor? They gave me a few choices.
I did check with Domaine de Valmouraine and it was too expensive. They did not have a room for 4, so we would have to spend 520 Eur for 2 double rooms. (not an option)

Oh boy, I'm still confused. Why can't I just make a decision?!

Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Underhill-
It IS the ground floor room that they are offering us. Now I'm tempted....
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM

If the food is important as well as ambiance, like being in a person's home, you'll like the Bournissac.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Go for it! IThe room is quite large and has a modern bathroom. The château's grounds are very pleasant, complete with a tiny canal that meanders around and about. When we were there two black swans floated along, in addition to a pair of white geese. One of the geese chased my husband, who tumbled end over end in his rush to get away from the beak and the hissing!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:03 PM

The atmosphere of the Château de Roussan is of an elegant house of by-gone days. There's some beautiful old furniture, and it's all nice and quiet, set well back from the road behind park-like trees. It felt homey.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:41 PM

We stayed in Terre Bleue at la Maison, Domaine de Bournissac in May 2003. The hotel and restaurant are excellent - just what you'd imagine when you imagine a small inn in Provence. The hotel is located just outside St. Remy in Palud de Noves. We really enjoyed our week's stay and would recommend it without hesitation.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Elsie, did you see the Rudy Maxa tv show when he visited there?
I have one of those creme pitchers with the cigale.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Underhill-
Very funny about your husband. The place really does look so charming.
But speaking of animals, several tripadvisor reviewers complain about the cats and dogs having a run of the place, and that it smells like cats and dogs. Does that seem like an exaggeration or is it sort of true?
(I love dogs, but not sure I can handle staying in a hotel that smells like one.)
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:17 AM

Our favorite place to stay near I'lsle sur la Sorgue is in a "Mas" a country home which is a beautiful Bed and Breakfast. You will not be disappointed in a stay here, including joining in the dinner which most guests enjoy. The home is Les trois figuiers, www.lestroisfiguiers.fr. We have stayed here 3 times and it is delightful.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:11 AM

If you are "arriving in Provence on Saturday afternoon, and heading to St. Paul on Sunday afternoon," and definitely plan to go to the Sunday market in Isle Sur la Sorgue, I HIGHLY recommend spending the night in Isle Sur la Sorgue (but again, only if you want to be at the Sunday market). There is nothing like having a croissant and coffee beside a canal as the vendors set up their displays, and then strolling over to peruse the market before the hordes of people begin arriving around 10:00 a.m. My husband and I were checked out of our hotel and on the road just as the crowds became oppressive.

Our hotel was an unconventional choice I hear little about on Web pages -- Hotel Lou Soloy, right smack in the middle of a canal in the heart of town. It's in a little historic building with small, cheery rooms overlooking the canal and a bar downstairs. Reasonably priced with a helpful staff!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Abbydog,
I just found your trip report when I was googling Hotel Lou Saloy.
What you described is exactly what I had envisioned. I love the idea of staying on the canal, seeing the market before the crowds, and taking off to see other sights.
(We plan to do Stu's drive, too, towards St. Paul)

But.. I can't find the website to figure out how to contact them. I will keep looking, but if you have any other info, please let me know.
Thanks.

UNDERHILL - BTW, at Le Rouusan, the room is on the "first floor" , but really the American "second floor". Is that what you meant?
I'm still worried about the pet odor...

Hi Images-
Your place looks great, too. Thanks. But I think I"d like to be IN town if we stay in La Sorgue.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:40 AM

Hooray! I'm so glad you like the idea. I can't remember how I first learned of Lou Soloy or initially contacted Claude, the manager, but here's a web address with pretty good information:
http://www.luberonweb.com/provence/i...soloy.php#null

Claude speaks English and was very responsive by email. Good luck!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:41 AM

http://www.luberon-news.com/lou-soloy/index-uk.php
here's the site
It's spelled Soloy, that's why you didn't find it.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, girls!
I have emailed Claude, and am looking forward to hearing from him!

Dina
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:03 PM

The room I recommend is on the GROUND floor, not the first floor. The one on the first floor is a large one, beautifully decorated with antiques, but the bathroom facilities are not very good at all. So unless you can get that modern ground-floor room, go elsewhere.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:41 PM

If they are all booked up, or you can't find a satisfactory room, we loved the Chateau des Alpilles in St. Remy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -