Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me find a place to get married in Scotland!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the United States and my fiance and I would like to get married in Scotland in May of 2008.
I need suggestions on places to have the ceremony based on the specifics below:
- we would prefer an outdoor ceremony near or in view of the ocean
- we are planning to stay in a hotel in Edinburgh so the ceremony needs to be reasonably close to there (no more than 1 hour away hopefully)
- we think we would like a civil ceremony, and I know those can only take place in approved locations, but sorting through that list isn't getting me anywhere since I can't look them up by whether you can have the ceremony outdoors at each site
- we have no need for a reception, just the ceremony with 2 close friends as witnesses

I have only talked to people at Dunnottar Castle so far since that was my first choice, but they said that you can only have the ceremony inside the castle, not outdoors, so that eliminated it from my list. Short of contacting every location on the approved sites list, I don't know how to determine whether the ceremony can take place outdoors or not. I have considered the weather and our minds are pretty set on outdoors unless it's a torrential downpour. Should I consider a religious ceremony instead of a civil one? How do they differ? Any help will be much appreciated. Also prices would help if you happen to know them.

We'd like to keep the cost of the venue down to 300 pounds or less if possible. I'm open to any input. I know there are some beautiful places on the west and northern sides of Scotland but we're also pretty set in staying in Edinburgh and don't want to travel too far to the ceremony site. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Hi,

My sister got married on an island in the Forth river - fairly near Edingburgh - this was back in 1999 - so cann't remember exact details - but it was in a ruined abbey - I'll try & dig out more info & come to you.

Mark
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM

There is a great new boutique hotel in Edinburgh called the Glasshouse that might be able to accomodate you in their rooftop garden. Looking further afield you could try the Wallace Monument in Stirling (an hour's drive away) or for a truly whimsical location the Falkirk Wheel. Final idea, for a shopaholic bride: the Harvey Nichols in Edinburgh just put in for a wedding license that would offer great city views from the terrace area of their "Forth Floor" restaurant.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally would NOT plan an outdoors wedding. Just too iffy - it might be lovely, but even on a fine day near the North Sea it will be cool/cold/breezy/windy. Someplace like Dunnottar would seem perfect (though more it is more than an hour from Edinburgh). The ceremony inside and then if the weather is lovely you can then have the run of this extrordinary site.

The Abbey isplumm is thinking of is most likely Incholm island/abbey . . ..
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
schuba

congratulations lildrummer.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/CEC/Regi...istration.html has a lot of information about getting married in Edinburgh including places where you can get married

I'm not certain if anywhere offers an outdoor ceremony but I'm certain that in May you run a high risk of rain on the day
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM

I have, sad person that I am, gone through the lists of places registered to take civil ceremonies in Fife, Edinburgh, East Lothiana nd Borders- the only geographic locations which fit your bill. Very very few have outdoor locations and even fewer are within sight of the sea. I fear you may have to opt for one or the other.

Not to be daft about this, but why don't you move your hotel to one beside the sea, which is registered?

As you will probably know, a minister can marry you anywhere. Some of them are (rightly) picky about the location, if they think it's just a gimmick and the religious stuff is not meaningful to you at all, but if you weren't died in the wool opposed to a religious ceremony AND you could find a sympathetic chap or chapess, your options open up a huge amount.

Dunottar is MILES from Edinburgh- at least 2 hours drive. But believe me, you would feel like you were on an island even if you were inside one of the buildings.

The ceremonies can be pretty much as you like in either form, subject to you actually pledging your troth before God as a sacrament in the religious one.

From a fairly close look at the list, you're going to have to compromise a bit here. How about the Botanics in Edinburgh? Or Orocco Pier in South Queensferry? Or Aberdour castle in Fife? The Marine in North Berwick? Dalgety Bay Sailing Club? The Rusacks Marine or the Scores in St Andrews? The Craw's Nest in Anstruther?

That's about it in hitting 2 out of three of your criteria. And you do need to be concerned about the weather. Even if it's sunny.

But I hope you get your dream.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Congratulations on your engagement

Don't want to be negative, but I do agree with the other posters - I wouldn't plan on having an outdoor-only wedding unless you are happy to take the chance of getting rained or even snowed on (it happens!).

On my wedding day in May 2005 (just outside Edinburgh, at Lennoxlove, which is beautiful but probably too big for your needs) we had sun, rain, and hail within the space of a few hours. And that's not atypical!

I thoroughly recommend trying to get hold of a copy of the Scottish Wedding Directory. It's a quarterly bridal magazine that has loads of listings for venues in Scotland - I found it way more informative than endlessly Googling! If you can't get hold of the magazine, the website is quite useful too:
http://www.scottishweddingdirectory.co.uk/

One other point - I have a feeling that your budget might be a bit low. Weddings in Scotland are BIG business and any venue that's approved for civil weddings in or around Edinburgh is likely to be popular. If you were willing to get married on a weekday it might be cheaper.

One location that does come to mind is the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh. Certainly a beautiful venue and they are definitely approved for civil ceremonies (though I'm not sure about price). I'm pretty sure you could have an outdoor ceremony there.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Oh have just seen Sheila's reply. Agree with everything she said!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:17 AM

Someone I know got married outdoors at Dirleton Castle but they had a minister - you'd need to check whether a registrar would go there. It had a backup indoor spot in case of rain.

If you love the sea, Inchcolm Island (in the middle of the Firth of Forth) would be wonderful - but I don't know what is available there. I considered it for my own wedding but rejected it as it wouldn't be very nice if the weather was bad. (I got married at Dalhousie Castle, in their chapel.)

Not near the sea but in Edinburgh - I've heard of people getting married outdoors in the Botanic Gardens.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:39 AM

I would suggest that you may wish to look at the website http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/...enues-weddings.
I know of two couples who I am sure got married at Blackness Castle on the shores of the Firth of Forth. The had the opportunity for a good selection of sea, historic buildings as well as some looking out towards the Forth Road and Rail Bridges. Information and some photographs of Blackness Castle can be found on http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...lacknesscastle
I cannot find that Castle listed on the historic Scotland weddings site and I do not know if both weddings were allowed in the Hall with special permission. I would suggest that you email them to ascertain if it can still be made available. One of the weddings then went onto the Orocco Pier in South Queensferry for the wedding reception etc whilst the other, mainly because the vast majority of their guests were staying in Edinburgh accommodations arranged transport back Castlehill / Lawnmarket in Edinburgh for their reception in the Hub. This then allowed further photographs to be taken nearby at Edinburgh Castle. As the Castle is floodlit in the evening it gave a good back drop for later photographs.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Hi lildrummer,

Just to let you know that I believe there are quite strict rules about approval of venues for civil wedding ceremonies. I think that to be licensed for civil ceremonies, the venue needs to have a roof, or be a structure of some kind. This is seems to be the case in England where I am getting married later this year - it could be different for Scotland - I am not sure. But obviously this limits your options for an outdoor wedding.

Another option for an outside ceremony is to marry legally beforehand and then have another ceremony outside. For example we have chosen a hotel by the sea (not in Scotland) for our wedding, and we were offered the opportunity to have an outdoor blessing overlooking the sea after the civil ceremony (although we have actually decided not to do this)

I think janisj has a great idea. Have the ceremony inside at Dunnottar, but afterwards for drinks and photographs at a beautiful setting. Or sheilas idea of staying by the sea rather than Edinburgh.

I would also agree with others and say you do need to be concerned with the weather in Scotland in May for an outdoor ceremony.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I visited Dryburgh Abbey recently and happened to see a wedding going on in - a fanyc Scots affair with men in kilts, etc.

Supposed they rent it out for that.

The abbey is in the countryside along the Tweed River in the so-called Borders Abbeys area - a sylvan setting and there is a fancy hotel-restaurant abutting the largely ruined abbey.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Celtic Park in Glasgow
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I studied at Glasgow University, living with a Scottish family. One Saturday, we had planned to go out to Paisley for a picnic. When I woke up on the morning, it was raining anvils. Much to my surprise, when I went downstairs, my host mother and sister were packing sandwiches and thermos bottles in baskets.

"What on earth are you doing? It's raining like The Flood out there!"

The matriarch's response was simple and direct:

"Ach, laddie. If we did nothin' in Scotland when it rained, we'd do nothin' at all!"
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM

'cept swill Whisky!' the eau de vie of Ecosse
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:22 PM

There's some useful official information here regarding fees, the need for a visa, etc: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/regsc...-about-it.html
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM

There is a great old manor house / castle with sweeping views of the Firth of Forth right in Edinburgh - it's called Lauriston Castle, and it is 3 or 4 miles from the city center, to the north. It is actually owned by the City of Edinburgh, and is open as an attraction. Perhaps they may allow wedding parties.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 03:01 AM

ttt for kraines
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 06:18 AM

I visited Jedburgh Abbey near Melrose two years ago on a Sunday and there was a wedding going on in the abbey grounds - in the chapel amongst these romantic ruins

It was a Scottish thing with many men in full kilts, etc.

There is an upscale hotel adjoining the ruined abbey, one of the most famed in the Borders Abbey district, for guests and banquets

So i assume you can rent out Jedburgh for weddings - it's in a great natural setting of pastures and along the Tweed river, where people were fly-fishing in the swift currents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -