Please help me choose apartment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm travelling to Paris in October and thinking of staying in the Marais area. I've narrowed down my choices to 2 apartments. Has anyone dealt with these agencies too?

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_69.htm

http://studio.provaction.com/paris/CARROUSSELuk2.html

The first one is $125 per night and is an American based company so prices are in dollars. Deposits can be made with credit cards.

The 2nd is $126 per night (converted) and is based in France. THey only take bank wire transfers and is more of a hassle, but there seems to be more amenities.

TIA for your help!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Neopolitan

Wow, I'd be willing to pay double for the second one compared to that first one. The "bed mezzanine" thing without a picture tells me that there is probably a stepladder to an area that is not a room, but a mattress on a floor wedged between three walls. That place at 300 square feet is TINY.

The second one actually seems to be in the UK since they specify payment in pounds. It is not the first place that I've seen discontinue their use of Paypal. I'd check to see if you can send them Travelers Checks in pounds for the deposit. While they will cost you something (buying them at a bank or AAA) it will probably be cheaper than a bank draft.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Neopolitan

You did realize the second one is on what we'd call the fourth floor and there is no elevator, though, right?

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Neopolitan! I had no idea 300 sq feet is tiny. I'll inquire about using Travelers Checks in pounds. Hopefully they're available at my bank. The site did warn that a bank transfer will cost about 10 euros.

Yes, our apartment in Barcelona is also going to be on the 4th fl (European) without an elevator!! I've told my friends to pack lightly =)
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Neopolitan

While checking with your bank, find out what they will charge for a bank draft. Apparently some banks really don't charge much -- others a lot. That 10 euros is presumably what the agency's bank will charge in addition to your banks fees. There SHOULD be no charge from the agency to accept TCs in pounds as they can deposit them directly with no charge.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Hello jademya77,

I totally agree with Neopolitan's comment about seeing pictures. We made the mistake this summer of accepting a place with only limited pictures, and OMG what a bad mistake that was. If possible, even try to find out when the place was refurbished last. Once we were home, looking at how we could have been so naive, the pictures showed the bed, couch, and bathroom; however, what it did not show was the terrible state it was in.

Regarding your second link, when looking at the bed, just how are you to get out of bed? From the bottom? It looks right up next to the 3 walls.

Good luck!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I would go with the second choice. I rented from vacationinparis a few years ago and while they were a pleasure to work with, the unit we rented was part of a building undergoing construction, which they did not tell us about, so we were not happy campers.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:29 AM

When I clicked on the second like I got a page with photos and prices in Euros, and at 85 Euros that is not as much as US $125 (more like $108). Be sure to confirm which currency you are to pay in. (You can also get travelers checks in Euros from Amex and others of course.) Also, ask the agency for references of guests who have stayed in the apartment recently. With email it should be easy to communicate with one or two. No reputable agency should refuse to provide references. (And you will learn more helpful information about the neighborhood.)
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM

whoops, "like" should be "link" (I am no "valley girl&quot.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. The 2nd apartment is 500 euros for 5 nights. The person at the agency spoke to the owner and it's supposed to be 85 euros for 6 nights. But since we're only there for 5 nights, the owner wouldn't give it to us for 85 per night.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The second one looks nice -- BUT it is only<b>292 sq feet!</b> It is tiny - that would be small for me traveling alone let alone what sounds like three of you.

To give you an ides this flat is 516 sq feet and costs much less.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oops left off the url http://www.homelidays.com/EN-Holiday...ROMSEARCH=TRUE

Now this one only rents by the week but even if you paid for 7 nights it would still be cheaper than the above for 5 nights.

And the Homelidaye has LOTS of even better/cheaper flats.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Neopolitan

janis, good eyes. I looked and looked and couldn't find the square feet for that second one. Now I see it.
So both are about the same size-- both tiny. But I could live with the arrangement of the second better than the first. Point of having to climb over the foot of the bed is well taken, but at least it's on the ground -- not up in the air while doing so.

Did you mean to post a link to another apartment, janis?