Please help - directions to our hotels in Scandinavia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for our trip to Scandinavia in 2 weeks (yehey!) and need directions to the following hotels, if anyone has stayed there before or is familiar with these places:

Marriott Copenhagen (Kalvebod Brygge 5) - we plan to take the Air Rail train from the airport to the main train station (Hovedbanegarden). We need directions from the main train station to Marriott.

Clarion Hotel Stockholm (Ringvaegen 98) - we plan to take the shuttle bus (Flybussarna) from the airport to Cityterminalen. We need directions from the bus station to Clarion Hotel.

Holiday Inn Helsinki City Center (Elielinaukio 5) - we're arriving in Helsinki on Silja - can we walk to the Holiday Inn from the ferry terminal?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM

The Marriott in Copenhagen is about a 10-15 minute walk from the main railroad station.

Unfortunately, all I remember is that you come out of the main entrance (the one across the street from Tivoli) and turn right.

Keep going until you hit the water (wide canal) and turn left. The hotel is located directly on this inlet/canal.

I'm sure others will be more helpful. You could, of course, take a taxi but I guess you already know that.

Good luck.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Why don't you just e-mail your hotels and ask them for directions - if they don't alreaady have them on their Web sites, as many do.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Dukey - thanks, your comments are helpful in giving me the orientation I'll need when we arrive at the Copenhagen main train station.

Eloise - yes, I've already checked the hotel websites. Marriott and Holiday Inn only have driving directions. The Clarion Hotel website states that the nearest underground station is Skanstull. I will email the hotels as well, but am hoping that Fodorites who are familiar with these hotels will give me tips (based on personal travel experience) on how to get to these hotels (like Dukey did).

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:07 AM

Holiday Inn says on their pages that it is 1,5 kilometres from the main market place. So it is about 2 kilometres from where the Sweden-ferries land. If you donīt want to walk, tram 3T takes you all the way from ferry terminal to railway station. Holiday Inn is right next to it. You can see from your window me hopping from the train ;o)
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Elina, thank you! It's great to know that we can take the tram to the hotel (and thanks for specifying what tram number it is). This is exactly what I needed .
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM

jmoy...being realistic, the Marriott Copenhagen is a healthy walk from the train station. With luggage of any sort I would strongly suggest you take a taxi from the lineup in front of the station. I took a cab to Ibsen's Hotel last spring which is a bit further and on the opposite side of the city, and it cost the equivalent of $6.

For Stockholm, the Clarion is in Sodermalm, beyond Old Town (Gamla Stan)...a hefty walk from the train station, indeed. Again, for pete's sake take a cab..probably no more than 6 or 7 dollar equivalent.
Same for Helsinki, a goodly trek from the Silja port. Cab should not be any more than the other two trips mentioned.

Your vacation is costing you several thousand dollars....why skimp on the comfort a taxi offers instead of dragging luggage through the cities in the heat of summer.
As I've said in answer to similar threads....a month after you return to USA, these few dollars spent won't make any difference in your life style! Do the math.
Just one man's experienced opinion, but be practical and comfortable at the same time!

Stu T.
Enjoy your marvelous trip...Be sure to take in the lovely boat ride to Drottningholm Castle, and the folklore shows in Skansen Park. Changing of the guard is one of the more colorful ones in all of Europe, at the Palace in Old Town.

Stu T.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM

I refer to Stockholm in the last paragraph of the above post.
Stu T.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Stu, when I asked for directions, I did not mean "walking" directions . I'm sorry if that was a little bit unclear in my question. I was looking for instructions like Elina's (e.g. take tram 3T) and yours (take the cab). So thanks for giving me an idea of how much it will cost to take the cab from the train/bus station to our hotels (and for the Stockholm tips as well)!