Search

please help

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help

Hi,
I know that many of you do not like these general questions, but for those of you that might have some thoughts, I will ask anyway:
(and yes, I know that it is getting late for some locations).

I am trying to think of an interesting place to take my 16 year old daughter this summer.
We both like to travel. She will go to museums and historical places, but much prefers to shop.

She LOVES London, but we have been there several times.
We have also been to Japan, Germany, Paris (which she did not like, but I loved).
In the US we have been to CA, AZ, FL, NYC, DC, Grand Canyon, LV. We live outside of Boston, so we have also spent time in ME, NH,etc.

I am thinking that Italy or Spain might be good next trip. She had mentioned Egypt.
In the past, we have oftened traveled with her older brother (now on his own) or in the US, she has brought a friend. This would be just the 2 of us, so I am trying to think of something that would keep her interested, without other kids along.
I would be thinking of about 10 days, including travel.
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM

There's lots of shopping in Rome and Florence!
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Well, from what I have heard, Egypt is amazing and deserves a nice visit. So, if she wants to go there and you are not opposed, I would say do it.

I think that Spain is an amazing country and would keep anyone busy who likes shopping, historical sites and great food.

Another place, though, that would be amazing for you both is Morocco. I went there this past summer and had a really amazing time. If you arrive in Rabat or Casablanca, you can then take the train to Marrakech and Fez, and definitely do not miss going on a trip to the Sahara. It was my most memorable time there and I can't imagine missing it.

Old May 27th, 2006, 09:33 AM

My daughter who's now 18, fell in love with everything about Florence when we visited two years ago. There's amazing shopping,(esp. during July/August- think SUMMER SALES!) but enough culture/history and great food to keep you happy as well. You could easily combine a trip there with day trips to the lovely Chianti countryside and ancient hill towns like San Gimignano, Volterra, as well as Siena and Pisa.

Near the Duomo in Florence, we found several tiny streets full of shops owned by young designers selling everything from beautiful one-of-a-kind handbags and clothes to jewelry. We had a fantastic time!

Also, Florence is pretty close to Rome- an hour and a half on the train- so you could combine these two cities as well.

Our daughter also loved Barcelona and Sitges, which we visited last summer. We enjoyed the sometimes strange but always amusing outdoor entertainment along Las Ramblas, as well as The Picasso Museum and the terrific food. In Sitges, which is only 30 min by train from Barcelona, there is a long strip of beautiful beach, and shopping which rivaled Florence for style and price. The town itself is an artists' colony that is quite beautiful and busy in the summer, so if you're interested, you should get on it ASAP!
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks so much for the thoughts/opinions.
I will look into some of the suggested places. It is overwhelming, as there are just so many possibilities.
I think that travel is such an education!
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

One more thing, we have always traveled independently, and then have taken some tours on things that have interested us once there. Is there any reason (thinking safety) not to do the same in Egypt? Or is a group tour necessary?
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:16 PM

I have only been to Italy and loved it! You said '10 days including travel' so that gives you 8 nights. I would spend 4 each in Florence and Rome. With a day trip to Siena from Florence.

Tom
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Assuming that we might not get to Italy again- would you try to squeeze Venice in, too?
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM

I'd be more inclined to include Venice and skip Florence. Unless one of you is especially fond of Renaissance art. Venice is sinking, go there while you can. Oh, yes, and it's marvelously beautiful.

There's plenty of shopping in Rome, no need to go to Florence for more shopping.

And I'd look into to buying a open jaws flight, into Venice, out of Rome. I find Venice wonderful for getting over jet lag. Unlike Rome, there are relatively few tourist must-sees. You can just wander around getting lost, nip back to the hotel for a nap.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Just a suggestion - Costa del Sol, Spain. There are great trips from there and busy tourist resorts which may appeal to your daughter. I would choose a fairly large hotel with a pool where your daughter is likely to meet fellow teenagers. There are great shops etc. but also Granada is an easy day trip and is certainly worth seeing.

Carolena
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:11 AM

I would be very wary of including Egypt in your summer plans. Although the Cairo Museum is air conditioned, and the Red Sea diving resorts are OK, touring the Giza or Luxor monuments in summer can be truly horrible - and there's really no point in holidaying in Egypt if you don't visit Giza and/or Luxor.

If your daughter prefers to shop, and you're indulging her in this, Egypt's teen-oriented shopping consists of a handful of franchises of second-division western chains (no Zara or Topshop: but a fair few Mothercares) and some decidely iffy local designers. Do you really believe she's going to enjoy the country's more traditional shopping?

There are actually very few places in the European area that meet your brief. If your daughter hated Paris, I can't imagine her being keen on Florence - or, to be honest, any civilised city except London.

Touring Southern Spain's inland cities (like Jerez) might be a partial solution. It's astonishing just how many different names Spain's Inditex and Punto Fa groups manage to trade under. So many of these smallish towns have an extraordinary range of Mangos, Zaras, Pull and Bears and all the rest - and their strategy of never selling the same garment two weeks in a row means she'll be seeing different clothes by day 10 from those the same chain was selling on day 1.

You might also find Barcelona and its hinterland offer a similar range of Zara-driven fashion variations, plus interesting things for you to do.

Alternatively, drive round England outside London. You can see the countryside and the medieval churches, while she's trawling Topshop, Oasis, H+M and Primark in the aggressively teenfriendly towns.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM

How about Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and Berlin? All have shopping in abundance. Amsterdam and Copenhagen are very comfortable, easy places to be and just simply enjoyable. I really like Berlin, but it's a bit more effort, as fewer people speak English and the city is huge and perhaps people are a bit less friendly, but a 16-year-old should be able to manage these slight difficulties. IMO, Berlin is the most exciting of the three. If you want museums and history, these are readily available in all three.

Amsterdam and Copenhagen *probably* will not get terribly hot, a virtual certainty with Egypt. Berlin might get muggy.

Take a look at some shopping-oriented guidebooks. Even though I'm not a shopper, there were a couple I really enjoyed reading. I don't have the titles handy, but go to a major bookstore and you'll see some.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:44 AM

If it helps, my daughter really loved London and Amsterdam, but didn't like Madrid. I expect she will love Edinburgh and Berlin, where we are going this summer (she's 15).
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the suggestions.
And no, we are NOT traveling to Eurpoe to just shop!