Reload this Page >

PLEASE H ELP ME DECIDE!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 11:13 AM
Sherry

Ever since i went to london, I've been addicted to travel. I really want to go someplace new this December, that is fairly inexpensive. I'm a college student, so of course I'll be slightly poor (that's when student loans and credit cards come in handy). Right now, its a toss between Germany, Italy, Spain, and France - I've been told that all those places are pretty inexpensive in the winter time. Which one do u recommend? What's a major attraction there? Should I know some of each of the languages before i go? <BR>(December 11-19, age 19, loves anything new, has multiple interests)

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 11:36 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Spain/Portugal will be less <BR>expensive than the others. (If you do a search for those countries, you'll find my posts about our recent trip which may help you decide.) And <BR>probably warmer. Though you'll find so many English speaking people no matter which country you choose, do learn some phrases and words. <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 11:38 AM
nickie

Bavaria (Germany) is wonderful during the winter time. Lots of Christmas markets, and fun snow type things to do like sleigh rides around the castles, etc. There are so many bed and breakfast places, that you can find reasonable places to stay, but some places do close for the winter, so you might want to check before you go. Don't know what type of things you're interested in though.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 11:51 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Barcelona - beautiful, lively, cheap, friendly and engrossing. The food and the drink and the people are great! <BR> <BR>I can't imagine a college student not loving Barcelona.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 12:08 PM
elvira

As much as I'd love to recommend Paris, it IS expensive for a college student's budget. I vote for Spain; the further south you go, the less expensive it gets. Portugal is very inexpensive compared to the rest of Europe. <BR>One caveat...the Millenium is wreaking havoc with hotels, restaurants and airlines - not as in 'computer crash' but as in 'everybody and his brother wants to be someplace very cool for the 12/31/99 hoo-ha'. If I were you, I'd shoot for smaller cities for a hotel, then do day trips to the big city. Or skip Metropolis altogether and stay at the beach or in the countryside. <BR>Have you thought about Greece, Turkey or Morocco? They give you a mixture of Western Europe and the Middle East...

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 12:13 PM
Dawn

Carnevale in Venice, sometime in early February, spectacular!!

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 12:15 PM
Sheila

For cost (and weather) Spain

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 12:40 AM
Vincent

Italy, Germany and France are expensive countries. Of course, early December being off-season, you could find some good deals in smaller towns. But, what 19 year-old would like to spend December in a small town in Europe ? Unless you want to ski : prices are low in France, but so might be the snow layer (you never know). My recommendation would be Portugal : small country, great people, beautiful capital (to use a word loved by Americans, Lisbon is for me the # 1 "romantic" city in the world), and very reasonable prices. But Elvira's recommendation is tempting : Morocco is fantastic and really cheap. But the air connections and fares might not be as nice as going to Europe.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 08:55 AM
Sherry

Spain it is!! I'm thinking of Madrid or Seville. I guess I can leave Germany, France and Italy to when I get a full time job over the summer break next year.... <BR> <BR>thanks for all your help.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 12:26 PM
turnip

If you really want CHEAP go to the Prague in the CZech Republic. Lodging and food their is less than half of a lot of other European countries.

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 03:01 PM
HOWARD

SEVILLE IS A GREAT CITY. MY WIFE AND BOTH THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT <BR>LIKED IT BETTER THEN MADID <BR>WE WERE THERE IN APRIL 1998 <BR> <BR>GOOD LUCK

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 10:59 AM
b ward

It really depends on what you prefer. <BR>I love France and I'am currently <BR>learning to speak French. As a student <BR>there is so much opportunity for you <BR>to travel inexpensively. On this forum <BR>you should find a lot of information <BR>on how to see whichever country you <BR>prefer on a low budget. I really <BR>prefer small hotels, towns, and markets <BR>to buy food for picnic's, not because <BR>it is cheaper but a real way to see the <BR>real country. Also check out the <BR>web site askjeeves.com. You can ask <BR>any question abou t anything and get <BR>great information. Happy travels!