Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How good is early October at French Riviera ??

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 11:12 PM
Alex

Planning on going to French Riviera in early October when it's not that crowded. Any idea if there is still a chance of having a warm dry weather there ?

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 06:16 PM
Louis

Yes, your chances are very good. However if a mistral is blowing it can be very chilly. This is a wind that comes down from the Alps. It is said that if it then rains a day it will then be beautiful. I have had the wind then rain and the wind again with the most beautiful blue sky. The best bet then is to go to Paris. The weather is apt to be great there.

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 08:18 PM
Dayle

Alex, weather is changable. Last Oct I never saw the sun during the first week of Oct in the Loire Valley and Paris. I rained 4 out of 5 days in Paris and we wore coats. Riviera was warm and sunny -- thank goodness.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 09:32 AM
elvira

It's windbreaker weather, with a little rain thrown in. The mistral is an experience (if you've ever been in Chicago or Boston or New York, you'll know that kind of wind); be sure to have a warm sweater and a light jacket. When it's sunny, it's glorious. When it's raining....go visit the Cousteau Museum or St Paul de Vence or Nice.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 01:33 PM
mwg

I was an exchange student in Nice and spent the winter there. there were rarely any days that could be called blustery. The Cannes, Nice, Menton area does not, in my opinion, get the full brunt of the mistral, which more effects the hill country in the arriere pays. Even in mid-winter, the sun would come out on some days and the weather would be warm and gorgeous. People would bask in the sun. If the only time you have to to the Riviera is winter, do it! There's plenty to see and the weather is far better than it is in most other parts of Europe.