Search

Please Guide Us

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Guide Us

Hi

Me, my husband and my 1.5yrs. old son, want to visit Rome, Vatican and Venice in Dec. 2008.
We live in Zurich, Switzerland.

We can start on 24th Dec night and can be back by 30th or 31st Dec.

I have surfed the net but I am confused.

1. Cheap accommodation in Rome and Venice.
2. Travel within Rome.
3. We are not that Art lover, so we just want to see the most famous places in Rome, Vatican and Venice.
4. In general any specific advice.

Please guide me for all these points.

Thanx in advance

Sreetama Mookherjee
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Try this website for Rome:

http://www.b-b.rm.it/

To see Rome, it is best to walk. Buses are not easy.

Any good guidebook and map will show you the most famous places in both Rome and Venice.

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Sounds like you can do 4 nights in each spot - which is a very nice amout of time.

In Rome, I'd suggest staying around Largo Argentina, Piazza Navona, Campo de'Fiori area, then you may walk everywhere.

If you save a few euros staying by train station you will spend a lot of time on 42 and 64 buses going to and from centro storico.

Christmas Eve is a mad house. A wonderful party in the streets - no taxis or cabs anywhere so where comfortable shoes and plan to walk to St. Peter's Square for music about 11P. Or go to Pantheon for the same.

To see Vatica Museum, book tickets online for 4 eruo fee - this way you have reserved time. Go to museum tour first, then go into St Peter's Basilica after tour so you only wait on one line - for the museum. At end of museum is Sistine Chapel, where you may exit through door that says "tour groups only" down huge stairs to side of Basilica -and you are in.

Piazza Navona Christmas fair is on, which is fun. Lots of restaurants just to west of Piazza Navona you will enjoy. Try Da Francesco for reasonable good food. You may eat around there Christmas Eve so you have easy walk to Vatican.

Buon Viaggio!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this site for good accommodation ideas, it shows the general price so you can just look at any in your price range:

www.tripadvisor.com

There is also very good information on www.frommers.com If you key in Rome into the search area on the homepage, it will come up with an area where you can find the major sights to see, visitor info, maps, events, accommodation, etc etc.

For travel within Rome, I would either walk or catch the tram or bus. We have been there twice and only caught public transport a few times, mainly walking. There is a hotel shuttle bus from the airport to all hotels (just give them the hotel name and pay your money) or if you are catching the train from Zurich, you can catch a taxi from Roma Termini to your hotel.

Best wishes,
Kay
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM

You say "We can start on 24th Dec night and can be back by 30th or 31st Dec."

That could be a problem - lots and lots of people get off work on the 24th at closing of businesses and want to travel that night to be somewhere for Xmas festivities either the same night or on Xmas day.

You could see if there is still a sleeper cabin available on the night train EN 313 EuroNight LUNA, it leaves from Z. central station (Hauptbahnhof) at 21:23 and gets into Roma Termini the following morning at 09:12.

There is a video on YouTube about this train (it says departing from Basel but that can't be right or is a few years old, 313 leaves from Z. and passengers from Basel take the IC 993 and switch to the 313 in Bern).

Or wait til the morning of the 25th and take a train or fly then.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanx Motorino and all, I will surely follow ur advices.
Let me do some more research and then i will be back with more questions if any

By the way do you guys think 3000CHF is enough for 3 of us for this tour?

Thanx once again

Sree
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi

I just did a research and my query is how much to Tip in Italy?
Is it mandatory?
What about general grocery or departmental stores in Rome?
Can anyone provide some idea?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:33 AM

No, you do not tip in Italy. (I live here). The "tip" in included in the bill as a service charge. If you very much like the service you have been given for an expensive meal, it is OK to show that appreciation by leaving a few euros, but it is never mandatory or expected. The restaurant will be happy to have you as their guest. You don't have to flash your money around.

It can be inexpensive to buy food from small stores and from supermarkets. It can also be fun to shop at the outdoor food markets. (Your hotel can tell you where to find the closest one.) Just be aware that almost all small stores will close before lunchtime, and will not open again until 4pm. Also, if you want sausage or salami or cheese or bread, it is better to go to the store that sells only sausage, or only cheese, or only bread, or only fruit and vegetables.

When you shop at a small Italian food store or at the outdoor market, you will be served. You do not serve yourself or touch things. But if you go to a big indoor supermarket, you serve yourself. Very often in the supermarket you will also find someone to serve you salami, cheese, fresh bread. If you want fruit or vegetables at the supermarket, you weigh them yourself. You will see a number by the fruit or vegetable you like. You put your things on the scale and punch in the number. The machine will give you a receipt to take to the cash register to pay.

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:34 AM

Sree,

What is 3000CHF in euros?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:40 AM

Some reenforcement on the prior tipping response.

In restaurants, tips are not required. Most people round up to the nearest euro, though many don't even do that. Some people will add more for exceptional service.

Although waiters in popular tourist areas might be used to some nationalities giving big tips, it's not expected or necessary.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

3000CHF is around 2000 Euros.

Thanx for the tips on tipping
It will be useful.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM

I think your budget will work for 6 days if you stay in B&Bs and eat some meals as pizza or simple foods. That will be hardest in Venice, where it is harder to find markets and cheap places, but ask your hotel for help.

If you are taking the train to Venice, you will need to buy that train ticket as soon as you arrive in Italy, or even go to a travel agent in Switzerland before you leave. Be sure to book a train with reserved seats, even if it is more expensive, because trains during Christmas week are very, very, very crowded, and with a baby, you don't want to find yourself standing for seven hours!

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM

For train reservations, please go to your nearest train station in Switzerland. They are the experts on train journeys (not travel agents.)
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes i will book the train tckt from Zurich to Rome.
I hope i find a cheaper tckt.

I have narrowed down a hotel near Termini station hope to book it tonight.
But I am not able to find cheap hotel in Venice.
all are expensive.

Also the train from Rome to Venice takes 4.5 hrs , right?
can i book it from termini station?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:01 AM

If you can, see if you can also book your Rome-Venice ticket from Switzerland. I forget how long it takes. But do get a reserved seat.

Have you tried B&Bs in Venice? You might try putting up a separate post just asking for help in finding a budget room, but tell people how much you want to spend.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:03 AM

If you put up a separate post, put the words "Venice and budget" in the title!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM

About Rome shall you visit the most important square like Piazza del Popolo, Piazza Navona, Piazza di Spagna. Than the Colosseum near the Roman's forum. you can travel in Rome with underground and many busses especially in the centre of Rome.
you can stay here it's at only 9 km from St Peter's square
http://www.italy-farmholidays.com/ag...o_tutus:-pid=1
In Venice yuo can visit Murano and Burano, two very beautiful and characteristic city. you can stay here http://www.italy-farmholidays.com/ag...treponti?pid=1 it's not expensive.
enjoy your holyday!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM

sorry the first link is wrong
http://www.italy-farmholidays.com/ag...do_tutus?pid=1
sorry again!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM

I wouldn't recommend staying 9 km from St Peter's or on the islands in December. And I don't think Piazza del Popolo is necessary for a short visit, although I imagine its churches will be beautifully decorated for Christmas.

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Try these sites for cheaper accommodation:

bbitalia.it
(B&Bs - have not used this myself but it was in an article recently in a national newspaper)

http://www.venere.com/
If you can afford it, stay in Venice itself, not on the Lido and not in Mestre. The first hotel I came to actually in Venice (sorted by price) was 70 euro for a double. Not sure what your price range is. Good luck!

Kay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -