Search

Please give suggestions for timing for a trip from Nice to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please give suggestions for timing for a trip from Nice to Rome

With eleven days to spend between the time we fly into Nice and fly out of Rome, how long would you recommend spending in the Nice-to-Menton area (the French side of our visit)? We have been to Provence but not to the immediate area around Nice. We have done northern Italy and Rome, but we have not been to the Cinque Terre or Tuscany. I am sure we could spend the whole time in Tuscany, but I am thinking we will choose two or three cities in Tuscany this time and then go back on another trip to do the area more thoroughly. PJK
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:13 PM

OK, I'll play.
I'd stay four nights in Nice and use the trains to visit Monte Carlo, some of the other villages, Cannes, Menton. Then I'd pick up a car in San Remo (get there by train from Nice) and drive to the Cinque Terre for two nights staying in Vernazza or Manarola.
Then I'd head to Tuscany, probably Montepulciano or Pienza for four nights. Rather than move around a lot, concentrate on one area and save other areas for later visits. Then I'd drive to Orvieto, spend the night and go on to Rome airport and drop off the car to fly home.
This last part of course really depends on the time of your departure, and you'll have to determine where to spend the last night. As much as I love Rome, I wouldn't go there to spend just one night before flying home. I'd spend the night somewhere closer in a smaller village.
My next choice would be to spend a full week in an apartment in Tuscany and cut out the CT. Again, really concentrate on daily trips to towns in one general area of Tuscany. You won't get bored.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Thanks, Patrick. I clipped and pasted your suggestions to my trip file. We have seen Rome, so I will probably take your advice and stay in a small town the night before we leave.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:40 PM

Four nights in and around Nice would be about right, giving you time for a few of the hill villages (such as St-Paul-de-Vence) and the coast.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi PJK,

Good advice from Patrick.

You might also consider leaving the car in Orvieto and training to FCO for your flight home - depending on when your flight leaves.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:11 AM

I think Patrick nailed--I had a similar itineray in mind before reading his. The only question in my mind is where to stay on the CT--that depends on your style. The other option is to not get your car until you leave the CT--at La Spezia.