First time in Italy/1st time in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much debate (Italy or Ireland) my husband and I will be in Italy late May/early June. We will be in Rome 4 days, then 4 days in the Tuscany region. Which one first? Should we rent a car for all the days or just for Tuscany? Maybe a train to Tuscany then get a car? I apologize if this message was sent twice.
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Hello Deb, I trust you mean 2003. You are already late for reservations for a popular time. I would get a car as you land, and drive north to Tuscany for your days there. Then, return your car before you train back to Rome for your last 4 days. Do not even think about driving in Rome. Good luck !
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:56 PM

I'll offer a different suggestion. Personally, I wouldn't want to tackle renting a car and driving after getting off of a long trans-atlantic flight. Do Rome first, get oriented, then take a train to Tuscany and rent the car there. Be sure to allow time on your last day to return the car and get back to the Rome airport. Or. alternativly, split up your time in Rome with the days in Tuscany sandwiched in the middle.

In either case - have a great trip!
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:05 PM

We usually spend our first and last night in Rome. I agree with SCgirl. If you do two nights in Rome, train to Tuscany, rent the car, stay 4 nights, train back to Rome for two nights, you're there for your flight home.
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:10 PM

One more thing....if this is your first trip to Europe, you will be very overwhelmed, excited and tired. You may not sleep well on the plane. The first two nights in Rome will help you get your barings. Also you don't want to leave Tuscany on the day you have to leave Italy. You could easily run into delays.
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:16 PM

I'd say Rome first, then Tuscany for no other reason than you probably want to spend your first day in Europe seeing sights, not spending more time traveling.

If you plan on getting a car in Tuscany and touring around, you are probably better of taking the train from Rome. (Lucca is a really neat little town to get a flavor of that region.) Honestly, you will not need a car in Rome and frankly, it might be an impediment. Parking isn't the easiet thing in most European cities and the Italians believe that traffic rules are just rough guidelines. Besides, The Vespa drivers (scooters) are ruthless.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Stay in ROme first or last thing as you please, but do rent your car in ROme and go by car towards Tuscany, stopping in the Monte Amiata area or in Pitigliano for one night.