Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please give me your info. for the cheapest B&B's or hostiles in Dubin for a soldier on leave from Iraq

Search

Please give me your info. for the cheapest B&B's or hostiles in Dubin for a soldier on leave from Iraq

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dh's cousin, a lovely young man serving his 2nd tour in Iraq has a 2 week leave and is going to spend a few days in Edinbough and a few in Dublin. Then, he's on a 7 day tour of Ireland (Vagabond tours)and then back to Dublin for a few days.
I have only stayed at B&B's that were probably out of his price range...was wondering about any ideas for the most economical places? Thanks for any help for a very nice, young man and soldier!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Not a B&B but we stayed at Jury's Inn and found it to be clean and afordable.

http://dublinhotels.jurysinns.com/ju..._parnellstreet
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Hi,

I have not stayed here but this is the highest rated B & B on Tripadvisor and I have found there reviews to be very reliable.
Azalea Lodge.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ty_Dublin.html

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Both Dublin and Edinburgh have Travelodges. You can look at www.travelodge.co.uk and search with a map or by city. Depending on the dates and how far in advance you book, you can find rooms for as little as 15 pounds, although the normal rate is probably around 30-50 pounds instead. We've stayed in a Travelodge in both locations. The one in Edinburgh is right on the main strip just near the castle. I think there are 3 within the main highway loop around Dublin. We stayed on one slightly out of the center, but on the bus route so it worked out fine.

Breakfast is not usually included with the rate.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM

I really hope there are no "hostiles" in in Dublin. Your husband's cousin probably saw all too many of those in Iraq.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, thats what I get for not checking my spelling!! Hostels! Hostels!! I am sure he has seen enough of hostiles!!

For the record, we have stayed at the Premier Travel Inn by the Dublin Airport and really like it for a night before flying out. Its clean, clean, clean!!! Its also only 89 euros. We usually go to Swords which is close for dinner and then back to the room for an early night before flying back to CA. But, the hotel does have a restaurant (we have not tried it) on site. But, don't think this is what would be good for dh cousin..either price or location for a young man in desperate need of some fun!

Thanks for the replies so far..will check them all out..will still welcome any other ideas!!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM

A great website for hostels and other modest lodging is www.hostels.com. You can book online, they have reviews and summaries of features. If he is willing to share a dorm like room that is the best value. A quick check showed shared hostel rooms in Dublin for about $20 a night and private for about $40.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM

We have just made reservations with Leeson Bridge guesthouse www.leesonbridgehouse.ie they are doing a special, Single room 49EU with breakfast , I have seen good reviews & its near to center of Dublin,, Thak your dhs cousin for all he has done to keep us safe.
Jean

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM

This last post sounds great. We did have good luck at the Fitzwilliam Guest House (Not Fitzwilliam Hotel--more pricey). Good value and pleasant staff. Also Trinity College has rooms when not in session.