Please Give Feedback on a Netherlands/Switzerland/Austria Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a tentative trip for Summer 2004. Want the trip to be fairly relaxing, but still see some great sights and do activities. We're intersted in art, nature and feeling comfortable in cities/towns.

Day 1 - Fly to Amsterdam
Day 2 - Haarlem (is it better to stay in Haarlem and day trip out? We aren't sure if we want to stay right in Amsterdam. Any ideas? What about other small centers nearby?

Day 3 - Haarlem (day trip to Amsterdam?)

Day 4 - Haarlem (day trip to small villages or countryside?)

Day 5 - Haarlem (day trip out)

Day 6 - Overnight from Amsterdam to Interlaken

Day 7 - Murren

Day 8 - Murren

Day 9 - Murren

Day 10 - Murren - Salzburg

Day 11 - Salzburg

Day 12 - Salzburg (maybe a day trip into Munich?)

Day 13 - Salzburg

Day 14 - Salzburg - Hallstatt

Day 15 - Hallstatt

Day 16 - Hallstatt - Vienna

Day 17 - Vienna

Day 18 - Vienna

Day 19 - Vienna

Day 20 - Fly home.

Any suggestions for b and b's or nice budget hotels? We want to home base and day trip out of most places.

Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Hello Amanda.

A few questions:

It seems like you're taking the train from Amsterdam to Interlaken, are you also traveling by train the rest of the trip?

If so, remember that you need to get a gondola down from Murren, a bus to Interlaken, and then the train. Could you steal a night from Salzburg and put it in oh, Zurich or Chur? (I'm trying to think of how you could break up that rather long stretch between Murren and Salzburg.)

Also, I assume your heart is really set on Amsterdam, since as you have obviously determined, it's a long stretch from Amsterdam to Interlaken. Or is it?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Staying right in Amsterdam isn't bad if you are traveling by train. Day trips will be easier from Amsterdam by train.

I think you have one night too many in Murren. It's a small place, and kinda hard to go anywhere else while you are there, so day trips don't make a lot of sense unless you are taking gondolas right out of Murren.

Other than that, I would say it's a good itinerary. If you remove a day from Murren, you could rob a day from Salzburg and stay somewhere between Salzburg and Vienna for a couple of nights. Good luck.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Intrepid

I think ti might be helpful if you elaborated on why you aren't sure about staying in Amsterdam. If you do stay in Haarlem which by train, as you probably know, is close to Amsterdam...the problem may be that to do any sort of significant day trip by train unless it is over to the coast you'll end up going back to, and probably changing in, Amsterdam anyway.
Haarlem is much smaller and quieter (not necessarily in a good way) than A-Dam and I suppose you already know about St Bovo's and the art museum there.

I assume you are going by rail and that your route out of Switzerland is over the Arlberg to Salzburg(in other words, not through Bavaria)...otherwise you could easily go to Munich first (via St. Margrethen and Lindau), spend a day/night there and then go on to Salzburg.
These thoughts are not meant in any way to be judgemental but not knowing the rationale for your itinerary they do come to mind.
There isn't any question that the thing is "doable" and easily so, particularly by train and some of the scenery you'll see is pretty spectacular in my opinion.

In Salzburg I would definitely recommend staying in the older part of the city near the cathedral if you can do so.
I'm not sure what your budget is like or what you feel are priorities but in terms of the overnight A-Dam to Interlaken I would consider taking the direct service on CityNightLine from A-Dam to Basel which means you'll only need to change ONCE...you can also do the trip during the day but that is usually a minimum of 9-10 hours and may require anywhere from 0-6 changes!
Hope this helps and have a great trip.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:25 AM

In Salzburg, we stayed at the Trumer Stube Hotel (http://smarterliving.tripadvisor.com...rian_Alps.html). Nice hotel for a good price. Also, check out this Salzburg website for lots of good info: http://www.salzburginfo.at/.

In Hallstatt, we always stay at the Seehotel Gruner Baum. We have stayed in a room overlooking the market square and one overlooking the lake (more expensive). You might also want to explore St. Gilgen on Wolfgansee.

I suggest that you also think about spending the night in Durnstein which is on the Danube River near Vienna. Lovely little town to wander thru. Also on the Danube are Melk (site of Melk Abby) and Krems. These websites might be of help:

http://www.wachau.at/wachau/default.asp?id=4548
http://www.richardloewenherz.at/index-e.htm