Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please evaluate my plans for 6 days in London

Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I posted before, when fodorites were kind enough to comment on my transportation plans, I am visiting London for six days in November with my daughter to celebrate her Sweet 16. Both of us have been in London before (me over 20 years ago, DD about three years ago with a student group.) There are some major sites that neither of us saw on prior visits; a couple of things that one of us did, but the other didn't; and the Tower of London, which both of us have seen but my daughter desperately wants to revisit because two hours did not allow her to properly commune with history. So, here are my tentative plans. Please let me know if there seem to be any glaring mistakes in choice of day or in allocation of time. All of this could get blown out of the water at any time once we get there, but I like to have plans in place so we don't waste time with "what to do today."

SATURDAY: Land at Heathrow following transatlantic flight at 11 A.M. Take tube to Earls' Court station, buy travelcard, check into hotel (base2stay.) Investigate neighborhood, buy some things to keep in the room for breakfast and snacks from Simply Food or Waitrose as room as a mini-kitchen. Attend Mass at Brompton Oratory at 6P.M, dinner and to bed early.

SUNDAY: Up early to take train to Hampton Court in time for 10 A.M. Matins. Spend day exploring palace, grounds and ice rink. Return to London, dinner, and attend Ceremony of the Keys (already have ticket.)

MONDAY: Morning at the British Museum, afternoon at Kensington Palace and Gardens, tea at the Orangerie, evening at the Winter Wonderland, at Hyde Park.

TUESDAY: Morning at The Tower, afternoon at Westminster Abbey, early dinner, evening at the British Library (open until 8.)

WEDNESDAY: Spend day at Windsor Castle, start evening at the National Gallery (open until 8), jazz dinner at St. Martin's in the Field Cafe in the Crypt. I'll probably reserve tickets for this in advance. Maybe stop and see the Tiffany tree and ice rink at Somerset House if not too tired.

THURSDAY: Today is DD's birthday. Morning at St. Paul's, afternoon at the Globe for tour and exhibit, dinner at the Reubens and then to theatre to see Billy Elliott (reservations made and tickets in hand.)

FRIDAY: Take Gatwick Express to airport and depart for home.

DD and I are both foodies, but we are not doing anything special for meals this trip.

So, what do you think? Sound doable?
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM

I was in London for only two very packed days this summer, so take any suggestions from me with a grain of salt.

Definitely hit the Tower first thing when they open, and go straight to the Crown Jewels exhibit. You can really see things and spend the time you want in there if you go there first. I walked past quite a few things and then really lingered over others. That's really hard to do once the day gets started and there's a huge line. Do try to join one of the Yeoman Warder tours. I didn't and wish I had had the time. You don't pay for the tour and at the very end most people do give the Warder a few coins so be prepared for that if you wish to tip. I'm glad you're going to the Ceremony of the Keys, it's really neat. Do wear comfy shoes and a warm jacket because you'll be on your feet the entire time and unprotected from the elements.

At Westminster, take the Verger tour. The same goes for the tour offered at St Pauls that lets you see the geometric staircase. The tour guides can show you into places you're otherwise not allowed into and those are the fun parts. Also, the guide books or the audio tours can be okay but the tour guide is usually really interesting. Leave yourself plenty of time at St Pauls to climb all the way to the top, and that may be included with the tour price but I can't remember for sure.

I think you've left pretty decent windows of time... morning here, afternoon there, etc. If you have time, the London Eye at sunset is fun. I was lucky enough to get some neat pictures of Parliament from there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your plans are very doable

I think your Tues may be a bit ambitious w/ three major sites on the same day - but not too bad.

BTW - the National Gallery is open until 9PM on Wed. Late night opening doesn't mean the whole gallery is open. So if there are specific halls/galleries you want to visit, you may be disappointed.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM

samsmom, I stayed at base2stay on my last visit to London, and enjoyed it very much. There is a new Sainsbury's nearby, which is huge, and will have everything you need. Their mini-kitchen will make for easy breakfasts.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM
yk

Hi samsmom - looks pretty good to me. I personally prefer going to museums in the morning, because I find myself the sharpest at that time of day, but that's just me. Not sure what you're expecting to see at the National Gallery (after a day out in Windsor). You won't be able to see all the galleries if you're tired, so it there's something that you REALLY want to see (eg Impressionists or Italian Renaissance), I suggest you just go to those particular galleries first, and walk-thru the rest of the museum if you still have energy.

You may consider eating at North Sea the day you're at British Library. It's famous for fish and chips and just a few minutes' walk from BL. Check their website for opening hours. They have a take-out part (cheaper) and a sit-down restaurant. The portions are HUGE, just so you're aware.

On your Thursday itin, you may want to pop in to Tate Modern just for a quick look. Perhaps you're not into Modern art at all, but I personally love that place. It's on your way between St Paul and Globe anyway. There's a Mark Rothko special exhibition at the Tate Modern right now (thru Feb 09) - so if you're a Rothko fan, DO NOT miss it.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
yk

Also, the Borough Market is open on Thursdays, and it's not too far from Tate Modern. Since you mentioned you're foodies, you may want to go check it out.

If you type in Borough Market in the search box above, you'll be able to pull up lots of threads on it. It has a website too, check it for the exact opening hours on Thursday.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM

When are you travelling? Hampton Court ice rink doesn't open till November 29.

Given your unusual interest in attending church services (2 in 12 hours is remarkable enthusiasm by our pagan British standards), if your Sunday is any November Sunday other than Nov 30, I wouldn't waste it going out to Hampton Court, since the Central London rinks at Somerset House, the Tower, the Natural History museum and opposite Westminster Cathedral all open a week or two earlier. (http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/...ature-335.html)

Central London isn't just outstanding for church music: it's also - bizarrely, and partly thanks to Agatha Christie - probably the best place in the world for sung Latin masses. If the Oratory's handy, why put up with their boring English Saturday evening mass, when you can listen to their choir sing a nice Mozart or Haydn during the mass on the Sunday morning? Go to High Mass at the Cathedral and ice skate before or after. Or join in the glorious plainsong at St Ethelreda's (the oldest Catholic church in the English-speaking world) on the way to the Tower rink.

Then do some of the City sights, and hear evensong at St Paul's in the afternoon. Give yourself less time later in the week at Hampton Court, and have your second skate at one of the other venues.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful comments!

Iowa_Readhead: Thanks for your insights on the Yeoman and vergers' tours. If I can fit in an evening visit to the London Eye, I certainly will.

Merseyheart: I'm so glad to hear that you liked base2stay, and thanks for the heads' up about Sainsbury's.

janisj and yk: Thanks, once again, for your comments. You were both really helpful in setting me on the right path in my transportation thread. I'll keep in mind that not everything is open at the National Gallery on Wednesday evening, but it seemed like a good time to get at least a peek at the collection before the jazz dinner at St. Martin in the Fields, which is my main target for the evening. yk, thanks for the tip about North Sea, as I am sort of "winging it" regarding meals. I will definitely try to at least slip into the Tate Modern while I'm in the neighborhood. My dd is a great fan of modern art, but also a Shakespeare fan. I'm afraid we will run out of time before needing to freshen up for dinner and the theatre, but I hope to squeeze it in.

flanneruk: We will arrive in London on 22 November and depart on 28 November. Reviewing my remarks, I can see where you might get the idea that I am a very religious ice skating freak! Actually, while we do like to attend Mass in each different country we visit, we really enjoy beautiful church art and music. Our main interest in visiting Hampton Court is to see the palace, the Matins service is an interesting extra. I planned to do this on a Sunday because Sunday seems to be a bad day to visit many of the other things on my list. I would prefer to hear the Mass sung in Latin at the Oratory, but hoped to get an early start to Hampton Court. At least attending Mass on Saturday will give me a chance to see the Oratory. Even though Mass is said in English, is there good music at the Saturday evening Mass? As for the skating rinks, we don't plan to actually do any skating, just visit, drink some hot chocolate, and enjoy the atmosphere. Maybe walk around and see the lights, just an easy, pleasant way to spend some evening hours after busy sightseeing days.

Again, many thanks to you all.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Samsmom - however you work out your afternoon or evening hours around Trafalgar Square, I'd include a bit of time for the National Portrait Gallery, right behind the National Gallery and just over the road from St. Martin in the Fields. English history unfolds in the portraits in those galleries.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

sandra, I really hope I can squeeze the National Portrait Gallery in too. I wanted to see it on my last trip and didn't, and I'm afraid I won't be able to find the time this trip, either. Oh, well, just one more reason to return...and not wait 20 years this time!
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM

samsmom,

We are going to be in London at the end of the month and I just checked the St. Martin in the Fields website for the Jazz in the Crypt concert, as we, too, were interested in this.

Their website says:

" Jazz in the Crypt
Please note: There will be no Jazz Nights in the Crypt throughout December 2008. Sizzling Jazz will return to its weekly Wednesday spot in January 2009. "

http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.or...erts/index.jsp

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Oops! Sorry, I see you are going to be there the end of November, not December.

Hope you guys have a great trip - and enjoy the Jazz dinner at the Crypt!

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

awayami2, as a matter of fact, I just made reservations for the jazz concert this afternoon! Since you will be in London before me, please post back about your trip, and in particular about the jazz dinner if you attend. Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Hi samsmom,

We will be continuing on to Europe after a week in London and are returning to the US on a transatlantic cruise, so we won't be back until the end of November.
I most likely won't be posting while we are gone, but will try to post when we get back.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

awayami2, that sounds like an amazing trip! A whole month! I will look forward to reading about your adventures when you get back.