Reload this Page >

PLEASE don't use your Flash

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Art

There have been several posts regarding what camera to buy on the forum, but no one has written about the flash portion of your camera. <BR>In my limited travels, I've been many places that they strictly enforce no flash, but others don't seem to. Yet camera flashes can damage art work. So please insure that you turn off your flashes when your taking pictures inside where art work is located. That is the reason that I carry two cameras, one with 100/200 and the other with 500. <BR>

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Andrea

I have never understood why people take photos of artwork in museums-almost an insult .What do they intend to do w/it?Show it as proof that they saw the painting?I I can't imagine that their photos come close to doing justice.If I really like the work I buy a great souvenir at the museum shop......

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:39 PM
s.fowler

To answer the last poster. <BR> <BR>When I started teaching philosophy of art in the mid-eighties museums weren't selling as many slides as they are now. [Also some museums have switched to CD-Roms] So the slides I took in museums during my travels became part of my teaching resources. I still use some slides in my class that I took in the predecessor museum of the Musee D'Orsay, the Jeu de Paume. I also think it shows students that traveling is something that is very possible.

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:56 PM
alan

Hi I take pictures indoors and instead of using a flash, I'll use the Kodak Max film which goes up to 800 and down to 200 for outdoors. It's the only film I use especially on vacation so that I don't need two cameras. <BR>alan

Old May 19th, 2001, 03:16 AM
s.fowler

Just to clarify -- I don't use flash in museums. I use 200 ASA film -- and I've gotten pretty good and steadying myself for the slow speeds that film entails inside. <BR> <BR>What my students see is the contrast between the "perfect" slides that I purchase, where the artwork is out of context and a slide where the picture frame shows and may not be perfectly centered. This way they see that a PERSON took the picture -- and by extension that person could be themWe travelers are subversive in many ways!

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Howard

Very simply, I take pictures of artwork (without flash, of course) because it's part of MY experience.

Old May 19th, 2001, 12:28 PM
peter

do not forget the average range of the standard flash is about 15 feet. uainf it over this distance if ineffective and wastes the battery

Old May 19th, 2001, 02:20 PM
kam

I'm just not that good a photographer to take good pictures of the art we see. I would rather buy a book or postcards or slides. I do love to take photos of everyday life, people, animals, gardens etc. I've tried leaving my camera at home on some trips but have really missed it. My photos aren't great, but as Howard says, they are my experience and a great reminder of a lovely trip. One of the best gifts I've ever gotten was a photo album done by a good photographer/art major friend of a trip to Italy with us. She had the artistic talent that I sadly lack. (but I'm a good driver on the autostrada!) Life is a trade off!

Old May 20th, 2001, 09:43 AM
lisa

Alan, Can you explain what you mean here? I don't understand how this film works. It sounds like a great solution for taking photos of people indoors with no "red eye". <BR>"Kodak Max film which goes up to 800 and down to 200 for outdoors" <BR>