Please define "packing light"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep seeing cautions to "pack light" if traveling by rail. Since I have only traveled by car previously, I'm not sure exactly what this means. One suitcase-but what size? 26" ok? Hiking boots, rain gear, travel guides, etc. take up a bit of space.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:51 PM

I can fit everything for a two week vacation in a 22 inch rollerboard.

Hiking boots are extra bulky. Maybe you should wear those on the plane. Is the airplane really a fashion runway these days?

I have incredibly comfortable loafers that I can walk 5+ city miles in each day. They look good enough to wear to dinner too.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:54 PM

Packing light for me means 22" case with a rucksack. 26" is fairly large and if packed fully, will be heavy.
Whatever size you chose, you will have to be able to lift it up and down the train stairs (narrow) and place it on the luggage racks. 26" (and sometimes even 22&quot will not fit above the seats. There may be space in between seats if they are facing opposite ways back to back. A 24" would fit, not sure about a 26".
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM

I agree with indy. I take 3 week trips with a 22 inch Swiss Army brand roll-on. The trick is to have straps on your roll-on to which you can tuck your coat. I also bring a 6 oz bottle of liquid clothing detergent to wash articles of clothes along the way. It takes a while for me to pack to figure out what I can leve behind but I have never wished I took a bigger bag.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:57 PM

"Packing light" to me means going on a good trip and never once cursing yourself for bringing along too many *&*$^ suitcases. Or too big suitcases.

Everyone has their own threshold of what that means!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM

I don't particularly travel light, I rarely get by with just a carry-on bag, which is how I think of packing light. I can tell you from experience that a 26" bag will be too wide to wheel down most train car aisles, and too large and heavy to lift onto an overhead luggage rack. There are larger racks at the end of train cars, but that means your bag may be at some distance from where you are sitting, and sometimes those large racks are full anyway.

You may not get by with just a carry on (some airlines have weight restrictions on carry-ons, not just size restrictions) but a 22" bag plus a tote bag or camera bag or purse is as much as I'd suggest.

I wouldn't want to wear hiking boots on a long flight (are you really going hiking?) so I'd stow a pair of ligher shoes or even slippers into my tote bag to change to for most of the flight.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:01 PM

&quot;<font color="red"> Packing light <font color="blue">is not in my vocabulary, but I like to read about other people being able to do it </font></font>
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:05 PM

Scarlett, take a big bag and leave it half empty, think of everything you will want to BUY in Paris!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:13 PM

Impossible! I would have to go through therapy before I did that. lol
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM

I've been practicing packing light. I got a new 22&quot; rollaboard for Christmas and have made two weekend trips with it just fine. This last weekend though, I did shop so I had to check the bag because it was really heavy with all that was crammed into it and had a shopping bag as carryon. So, I'm debating about my next europe trip. After lugging my HUGE suitcase aboard the Eurostar last trip, what a pain..literally!!!..I know I am going with a smaller bag but I love to shop, and I don't go that often and save and save, so I'm either going to take a bigger bag or pack a duffle bag for the trip home. I don't have much time to shop at home so I think it's kind of pent up energy when I get away. I'm really taking note of what people pack etc because my next trip I'm thinking London, Paris, Venice, and I have to take that suitcase with me on train or plane....so we'll see how it goes. I don't try to take travel guides, they are just too heavy. I have a journal that has a lot of notes, addresses, and phone numbers, and some good maps that I can put in my purse or carry-on..wear one pair of shoes and pack one other pair. I'm with Scarlett, it's really really hard for me to pack light.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM

Packing light means making certain you can haul, lift and fit your bag of choice into whatever mode of transport you might encounter. Suggestion. Load up your 26&quot; bag and run it up &amp; down the block a couple of times. Do a dozen trips up and down the stairs and then place it on the uppermost closet shelf. Good to go? If not, scale down to a 22 or 21 inch bag. Repeat.

Fodors Packing Light is claiming you can travel in Europe for six weeks living out of a zip lock bag.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM

My first trip to Europe was a nightmare, packing-wise. Like an idiot, I packed 3 suitcases. I didn't use or really need 3/4 of the junk I brought. Boy, did I learn my lesson.

Now my bag is 22x16 inches and I can either wear it as a backpack or over my shoulder. It's great being hands-free and not dragging anything behind me.

Including what I wear on the plane, I bring 4 pair socks/underwear, 4 shirts, 1 pair of shorts, and 2 pairs of pants. 1 pair of shoes. I do a load of laundry every 4 days or so. Too many clothes and extra shoes add a lot of bulk and weight.

I layer for warmth rather than bring a jacket or a sweater (unless I'm traveling in winter). I'm doing Switzerland this year, so I'll add some longjohns, a fleece pullover, and a lightweight jacket. I never bring an umbrella -- I just assume I'll have great weather (which I usually do). If it rains a lot, I'll just buy one there.

Minimal toiletries: travel-size toothpaste, mini deodorant, electric razon, etc. Hair dryers are not needed since many hotel rooms (even 2-stars) have them. And it's not great tragedy to let my hair air-dry anyway. Small aspirin bottle with multivitamins, pain relievers and upset stomach stuff all in same bottle.

Other miscellaneous stuff includes a camera (digital allows you to do away with numerous film canisters), bits of several guidebooks (I cut up the books to eliminate sections I don't need), a small day bag, a moneybelt, miscellaneous papers, a travel diary, and a good book to read during my downtime.

That's it. All that plus the backpack weighs about 17 pounds and there is still room/weight for an MP3 if I want. When I go to Paris or Italy I usually pack even less clothes and buy some there!

It is an absolutely magnificent feeling: my bag on my back, rail pass in one hand, and staring at a departure board in Paris or Zurich knowing I can go anywhere, anytime, and easily change my mind at a moment's notice. That is utterly impossible to do while loaded down with luggage.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM

The 21 incher is my BIG bag. I normally use a 19 inch rollaboard and it is plenty large enough for most trips. I do take the &quot;big&quot; case if I know I am going to be buying something bulky along the way.

I don't take day packs or duffles or totes. Just a 19 in. (or sometimes 21&quot; ) and a medium to large-ish handbag.

When you coordinate outfits and pick colors that go together you can easily get 20 or 30 outfits out of a very small suitcase. Something like 3 pr slacks, one skirt, 5 or 6 tops, a cardigan, a blazer and 2 or 3 pr of shoes. Remember you are wearing one full outfit/shoes on the flight so there is that much less in the suitcase.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM

A light pack for me means a 22 inch bag and my &quot;purse like&quot; bag. I've decided that this won't work for me as a total carry on load because I need to take a cork screw and knife for all of those lovely picnic lunches and dinners. Wear the bulky stuff.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM

meant to add - I pack this way whether I intend to check the bag or carry it on. The flight is the least of my worries - schlepping a big suitcase around Europe or finding space for it in a small hotel room isn't something I care to do . . . . .
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM

Hi Stillhouse,

Rockhopper gives the test advice. Remember, some of those train stations have multiple flights of stairs just to get to the train. And, no, I can say from personal experience a 26&quot; will not roll down the asile.

21 or 22&quot; plus a small overnighter. That's it for 3 weeks.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM

Packing light for me is not packing excess clothing I won't be wearing and taking unnecessary toiletries I might need &quot;just in case.&quot; I am <i>not</i> a minimalist traveler. I take a 26&quot; expandable roller suitcase and a small carry-on that straps to my big suitcase when walking.

I like to have what I need when I travel without having to mess with rinsing out socks and underwear every night or looking for laundramats or laundry services.

But when we travel, we tend to stay in one place for a week at a time. If we were doing a lot of train travel or moving to different hotels every day or so, I probably would reconsider.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM

I thought I'd add that on my 2 week trip I go to the laundromat once. I do not do laundry in my room in a sink, tub, bidet or whatever. 10 pair of thin men's dress socks and 10 pair of whitey-tightey's take up very little room, 4 dress slacks, 5 polo shirts and I'm done.

As far as over-packing don't look for me to help a damsel-in-distress. I remember at least two times last year I avoided that mess.

In Dijon I saw an American couple with an unbelievable amount of luggage. 2 of those 48 x 48 inch monstrosities with two more &quot;smaller&quot; suitcases on top with a couple of carry-ons. They were in the Dijon train station and bemoaning the fact there wasn't a convenient elevator for the train platform.

The second time was in December traveling from Bordeaux to CDG on the TGV. In Angoul&egrave;me a lady got on the train. She had a completely stuffed 26 inch roller suitcase. She was struggling with it. She kept looking about wondering where her knight was. I kept my nose in my newspaper. Finally a younger man decided to help her throw that boat anchor into the overhead luggage rack. In excellent French she made a huge point of telling him what a fine young man he was as she glared about the train.

If you can't lug it around yourself don't expect any one else to do it for you. Why should I throw my back out on my vacation because you don't know how to pack?

Pay attention to what rockhopper has to say about testing your luggage.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM

I'm always amazed by how little some people take wiht them. I'm a moderate packer - for a 2/3 week vacation a 24&quot; checked bag plus a reasonable size carry-on. (Naturally if its a business trip I take the biggest suitcase you ever saw - otherwise there's no room for business suits, evening stuff and normal clothes - plus files etc.)

But my sis in law takes a 30&quot; bag everywhere (even to New Orleans for a 5 day trip) plus an enormous overstuffed rollie as her carry-on. To this day I still can;t imagine what she has in it - although it does include a bathrobe and matching high-heeled slippers.

But how do people take enough clothes in a 20&quot; rollie? Or do they have laundry done every day or two? Assume for a rpring.summer vacation - you need for day 5/6 pants and skirts and assorted mixing/matching tops, 3/4 going out to dinner outfits, a couple of light sweaters, nighties, lingerie (say a dozen panties, and 4/5 assorted bras for diferent outfits) a thin jacket, umbie, and two extra pair of shoes - plus toiletries and accoutrements and mini medical kit - plus guidebooks, camera/film, maps etc - how does that all fit into a 20&quot; rollie and a smalll carry-on?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM

I am genetically predisposed to overpacking; a victim of circumstance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -