Search

Please critique my 10-night Ireland Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please critique my 10-night Ireland Itinerary

Hi All,

My husband and I will be travelling to Ireland in March for our 1st year anniversary. Originally we thought we would be flying to and from Dublin (found great rates) but then we found that for only 20 dollars more we could fly into Shannon and out of Dublin. That said, we have 10 nights, and will be flying into Shannon on Thurs. March 10th (around noon) and out of Dublin on Sunday March 20th (morning). We'll be renting a car at Shannon airport, and dropping the car off in Dublin as soon as we arrive in the city (around the 18th). Below, Ive listed our tentative itineray for your review. Please look it over and tell me what you think--that is, is it realistic in the time that we have, and am I missing anything that we should be seeing? Thank you!!

PS: We are young, energetic, and early risers...it's in our blood not to stay in one place very long (although we try our best to fit relaxation time in Please keep this in mind as you read through our itinerary. Thanks!!!!

TENTATIVE PLANS:

Thursday Mar. 10: Arrive at Shannon around noon, pick up rental car around 1, see Cliffs, Aillwee caves, drive around Doolin, etc., etc..

Friday Mar. 11: Day trip to Aran Islands, possibly stay the night there.

Sat. Mar. 12: drive through Burren, see Ballynachinch Castle, and drive up to Galway City. Spend night in or around Galway.

Sun., March 13: drive up the coast, See Clifden, Kylemore Abbey, Sky Road, and Renvyle Peninsula perhaps. Go further up north to (any suggestions as to how far we should drive?). How much could we fit into Sunday, given that we're early risers?

Monday, Mar. 14: Make our way down the coast (back towards Shannon). Go through Dromore Forest, on the road to Ennis, and possibly do short hike.

Tuesday, Mar. 15th: Dingle Peninsula (should we allot the entire day, or try to see something else this day as well?)

Wednesday, March 16th: Ring of Kerry (allot almost entire day), stay in Kenmare for evening.

Thursday, March 17th: From Kenmare, drive towards Mizen Head in the morning, and then up to Cork City, where we will explore the rest of the day and spend the evening there.
(We realize this is St. Patrick's Day--will most everything be closed?) What would you recommend we try to see this day/night?

Friday March 18: From Cork City, we will drive toward Dublin (should we drive along the coast, or more inland?) taking our time.

Saturday, March 19: Explore Dublin.

Sunday, March 20 : Depart Dublin in the morning.

**Now, one thing I havent fit in is Rock of Cashel, which has been highly recommended on these boards. Is there any day or time where this could be fit in? Also, have I left any of the must-sees out? I would love you all to rip this very tentative schedule apart, and very much appreciate your constructive feedback. Thanks! Lull
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Im still hoping for critiques on my Ireland itinerary. Any takers? I really appreciate anyone who could help. Also, I really want to fit Cashel into this trip, so please advise where that should go. Thanks so much! Lull
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:42 AM

hello - i was in ireland for 12 days this past june and saw a lot of the same things you are planning on. i think you have a great trip planned. we were told that it will take longer to drive places than anticipated but we didn't really find that to be a problem. we had a general idea of the distances between our destinations and an idea of how long it would take, and planned accordingly. the left-side of the road driving will be second nature to you after the first day. Make sure you have a good map!

I highly recommend the Rock of Cashel. we stayed in Cahir and in the evening we drove up to Cashel (about 30 minutes away) to check out the Rock at dusk. very cool. we went back the next day and did the tour. If you do a search on the Europe boards for "Trip Report Jun17-30" you will see a very lengthy report my friend typed up on our trip. it's a long read but it might give you some tips/ideas for your trip. Actually maybe I can try and post the link here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34510473
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM

P.S. We are OLD,(retired), energetic, and early risers, and it's in OUR blood also not to stay in one place very long &gt
It's the truth, but kidding aside...you have a wonderful trip planned.
1. The days aren't terrible long in March, and are you planning on any jet lag at all.? I guess you could see the cliffs and go to doolin(which is a town of about 1 block long). We stayed the first night close to Shannon in ???, had lunch at Dirty Nellie's Pub and walked the heritage park etc(always good to walk after along flight). Sometimes it's hard to trust yourself to drive too far the first day....though we sosmetimes drive
2 hours.We only got as far north as Galway. , a lovely city, the following day, stopping at the Cliffs etc.
3. CAme back down through Adare, nice...and into Dingle via Connor Pass, (Castlegregory). Dingle is great and the Slea Head drive is beautiful. I understand the Ring of Kerry is very crowded with busses and long...and that the Slea Head is the better choice of the two. The curves and curves are the same on both. Stayed in Greenmount House in Dingle, very nice.
4. Kenmare is a nice, interesting, town and fun to walk the streets.
Kinsale is quite interesting also . Good food there, and Old Head golf course if spectacular.
YOu are covering a lot of territory. We always move along fairly fast, but were suprised at the roads..narrow, 2 lane, curvy....especially the first day after heading north from Shannon...so you may not be able to cover as many miles a day as you think. I've heard other travelers to Irealand say the same thing.
WE too, made our way to Dublin, spent a day or so, and turned in the car at the airport. Stayed in Dun Laohaire on the coast, so kept the car (there is an interesting drive SOUTH on the coast.From Dun Lohaire we took the CITY busy into Dublin one day and that was interesting to see the people and the school kids, and the suburbs!
Have a great trip! We went the first week in April and had NO RAin (till Dublin). We particulary avoided being in Ireland on MArch 17, due to big celebrations, parade, crowds, no , or high priced, lodgings....but YOU will probably ENJOY it..and being in Cork that night I'm sure there will be a LOT of celebrating!

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Like many first-timers to Ireland you are planning a "green blur tour". Some points to consider:

1. You are early risers. How early? If you are up and ready to leave your B&B or hotel at 6 or 7 am you will leave without breakfast in most cases. Since breakfast is included in the price of many lodgings in Ireland and can be a great meal that will keep you going for most of the day. It seems a waste of money to skip breakfast. Most B&Bs start breakfast at 8 or 8:30. Some places might accommodate you and serve a bit earlier but most likely they will leave you some bread and jelly or something similar that you can help yourselves to.

2. The scenery is always open but many sightseeing places will not open till 10 am or later in March.

3. From your posted itinerary it seems that you will be going from Doolin to the Aran Islands? The Doolin Ferry does not operate in March. You will have to get one from Galway or Rossaveeal.

4. March 15: Dingle deserves two days not just a few hours.

5. Someone else on this forum mentioned that Ireland is best viewed with a microscope not a telescope. Meaning close up and personal. You don't have any of that built into your itinerary. You will see a lot of the countryside whizzing past (telescopic) but some of the best times in Ireland are small moments when you can take the time to meet and interact with the Irish and even your fellow travelers (microscopic). I don't think your itinerary has any "relaxation time" built into it.

Since it is your first year anniversary, I am assuming you are young and energetic. What you propose is possible but not something that most people would actually enjoy. Have fun on your trip and consider it a learning experience for future trips.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful tips! We will try to build some relaxation time in too Best, Lull