Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Please critique itinerary for Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Please critique itinerary for Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Nov 4th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster
Please critique itinerary for Germany, Austria, Switzerland

We leave the end of March (Easter break) for 2 wks., traveling with son, his family and we 2 grandmothers!! A grand total of 8 (4 children under 12). Insane, I know. I am experienced traveler, and am doing most of planning, but there is so much knowledge on this board (already changed plan for London and Brussels in order to keep it central.)

This is proposed itinerary:
Arrive Frankfort
rothenburg o.d.t. - 2 nights
Zurich/Lucerne area - 2 nts. (what town?)
Garmisch - 3 nts.
Salzburg - 2 nts.
Vienna - 3 nts.
Munich 2 nts., then fly home to SFO.
Any recommendations for changes? Trying to limit long driving days, and constant hotel moves.
Thanks so much
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Meg, your trip sounds great to me as I have done something similar in the past. We also spent 2 nights in Rothenburg. Some may try to talk you out of it, but we love wandering the streets and walking along the old walls and sitting in the park. There are a lot of indoor activities too such as the Kriminal Museum, Kathy Wolfart's Christmas shop, several nice churches, etc. Besides, Rothenburg is a different place in the early morning and late afternoon when the big tour buses aren't there.

I would definitely recommend Lucerne over Zurich. The Altstadt is compact and easy to walk. There is also part of the old city wall (Museggmauer) that's fun to explore with some great views.

Nov 4th, 2004, 09:25 AM
I stayed a couple weeks in Zurich last summer and took a day trip to Lucerne. It seems to me there is a lot more to do in Zurich: old churches to explore, the lake (with an incredible view of the Alps), shopping. Lucerne was charming and beautiful, but I don't know if there's so much to do there. It seemed much smaller than Zurich and mostly just had beautiful scenery.
Nov 4th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. The 2 nts. in Rothenberg are to give everyone time to get over jet lag, and to really enjoy a lovely area. Also, it's Easter break for Germany, too, and reservations were easier for 2 nights!!
Any towns between Zurich and Lucerne that would be feasible in early April?
Thanks so much for the input.
Nov 4th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Zurich is a large city and has more night life in terms of plays, clubs, etc. but other than that Lucerne wins on just about every front. The churches in Lucerne's old town are prettier on the inside, Lake Lucerne is gorgeous and you can go up Mt. Pilatus and explore all the nearby villages. (The Transportation Museum in Lucerne is also a top attraction.) I'd also suggest you look into Bern. It doesn't have the big city bustle of Zurich but still has a cosmopolitan feel due to all the embassies there.
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM
When you are in Garmisch are you planing on visiting Linderhof and Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein? We also took cable car to Zugspitze or can take train to Zugspitze if kids are afraid of cable car.
The night watchman tour will be going then and kids should really like it along with walking around the wall. Trip looks good - something for everyone to do. I would go for Lucerne also.
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM
When in Rothenburg take the lovely countryside path for a beuatiful walk outside of the town walls to the tiny village of Detwang. Visit the Toppler Schlosschen (mini castle of the town mayor) with photos from WWII on the top floor....very small--ring the bell and the owner will let you in if he is home. Also Detwang has a lovely Riemenschneider Altarpiece to view.

Search this Thread