Please Comment ASAP on Sicily Itinerary

Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:45 AM
elizabeth

Please Comment ASAP on Sicily Itinerary

Normally I take a long time to plan a holiday, but due to unusual circumstances have to pull our Sicily plans (air/accommodation) together quickly. Will have more time to plan sights/restaurants later.

Comments on the following very rough itinerary/accommodation would be appreciated:

21 nights:

1)Flying in and out of Lamezia (Calabria) Question: Stay in Calabria for a couple of nights (either front or back end) or proceed directly to Ferry to Sicily - how long does ferry take? Reservations required? Too long a single day trip from Lamezia to Lipari?

2) 4 nights in Lipari at Hotel Carasco (GAC's description sold me!) Question: Is there a broad selection of restaurants or are we better to take the half board? Any room number recommendations? We'll have a rental car - does the hotel have parking? (haven't heard back from the hotel re this issue)

3) 4/5 nights at Limoneto - tour by car to Taormino, Siracusa, Etna, etc

4) 7 nights at a villa or agriturismo on the South or West coast (we prefer staying in one place and taking day trips versus several smaller stays - don't mind long day trips - sometimes even stay over one night elsewhere while keeping the villa accommodation)

Considering Verdetecnica agriturismo or Fattorio Mose near Agrigento and then Day trips to Palermo, Erice, etc. Also, plan to eat at the wonderful restaurant Gangivecchio - day trip or overnight?

5) Traveling west to east to return to Lamezia - two or three nights - could stay in Cefalu?

Thanks to any and all for your help!

Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:35 AM
GAC

Congratulations on your decision to stay at the Carasco in Lipari. I'm certain that you will find the Island and the hotel as alluring as I did. TO address your specific questions:

1) As you have the luxury of having 21 days available, I personally would stay one or two nights in Tropea (leading Calabrian coastal resort on western coast), either at the front or back end, depending upon plane schedules.
2) Lamezia Terme Centrale Train Station to Reggio di Calabria LIDO Train Station is about 90 minutes by frequent train. Check schedules and fares at www.trenitalia.com
3) From the Reggio di Calabria LIDO Train Station, you walk 500 yards to the hydrofoil dock to take the SNAV hydrofoil direct to Lipari. Only four or five services per day during the summer, so you need to plan for a decent connection from the train. Check schedules and fares at www.snavali.com If you have two hours connection time, I suggest that you visit the reknowned Archeological Musuem in Reggio, across the square from the LIDO Train Station (you can leave your luggage at the Station).
4) I would take half board at the Carasco, for four reasons: 1) the food is good, but not great; 2) you may feel the need to take a taxi to reach the restaurants in town, since the free shuttle stops at 8:00 p.m., and you may be too tired to walk the challenging 800 yards each way; 3) the view from the Carasco's restaurant is the very best on the Island (I'm willing to bet on it). The tables directly face the Castello Area and Marina Corta; and 4) the price difference between half-board and bed and breakfast is only 10 Euros per person!
5) Ask for one of the rooms facing north directly towards the Castello Area (or a room facing east toward the open sea). Most of the large double rooms have balconies with sea views. If you want air conditioning, ask for a room on the third or fourth floor, and specify a/c.
6) Carasco has a very small open air, unsupervised parking area near its entrance (max 8-10 cars)
7) I don't have specific recommendations about agriturismi or villas.
8) Cefalu is worth a visit, but you really don't need to stay overnight. However, it is probably the most logical overnight stopover between Palermo and Messina. There are several other well regarded places both west and east of Cefalu, as an alternative.
If I can be of further help, let me know.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:51 AM
GAC

I just noticed a reference in the website for the Lamezia Terme Airport to chartered helicopter service to the Aeolian Islands (probably Lipari). Unfortunately, no mention of fares, so you would have to make contact by e-mail if interested. Probably expensive.

www.lameziatermeairport.it

Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:50 PM
elizabeth

Thanks GAC - any other comments?

Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:17 AM
elizabeth

TTT

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:25 PM
elizabeth

TTT for the weekend crowd