Reload this Page >

Please advice! Venice to Rome.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 05:06 PM
rita yeung

We would go to Rome and spend a day there from Venice. Should we take the speed train or take a domestic flight to Rome from Venice? How much does it cost by speed train and how long does it take?

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 05:15 PM
beth anderson

I seem to remember it was only 3 hours to Florence and then another 1.5 on to Rome past that (I got off in Florence.)<BR><BR>It wasn't expensive either. train travel is a nice way to go, less waiting time, and more room/more comfy than planes sometimes. not to mention you can bring your own picnic on board and meet your seat-mates too. share that wine!<BR><BR>Beth

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Steve James

Hello Rita,<BR><BR>Beth's right - Venice-Rome by fast train (Eurostar) takes 4.5 hours.<BR>The fare isBR>87.000 LIRE (45 EUROS) single - 2nd class<BR>130.000 LIRE (67 EUROS) single - 1st class<BR><BR>Return fares are double.<BR><BR>Are you saying you want to do Rome as a day-trip from Venice? That's really not viable by train - unless you travel overnight.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 04:55 AM
elaine

Rita<BR>I did a Rome-Venice flight this past October because I didn't want to spend the time on the train. The cost was approx $100, perhaps just a few dollars more, one-way. RT would be even more cost effective I would hope.<BR>Everyone makes different decisons about travel, I will add that Rome is large and spread out. If you're going for one day I'd suggest that you pick the one thing you most want to see, and plan that for sure. Anything else you might have time to do or see would be a bonus.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 05:06 AM
beth anderson

ah! I read it too fast, didn't see the 'day trip'.<BR><BR>I am no expert, but I doubt I would advise a day trip for Rome (for Venice or Florence either for that matter).<BR><BR>You could DO day trips of Florence & Venice, but I can't imagine why you would want to? And Rome is bigger.