Plaza on Hyde Park

May 1st, 1999, 07:26 AM
Kathy

Plaza on Hyde Park

My husband and I are visiting London in 2 weeks and are planning to stay at the Plaza on Hyde Park. Just wondering if there are any comments from recent guests? The travel agent also offered a package at the Strand Palace for a little more. Thanks.

May 1st, 1999, 01:14 PM
Seamus

Stayed there a couple years back and it was fine by london standards. The rooms tend to be quite small compared to American hotels, but the place was sparkling clean, restaurant fine and the staff very helpful. The tube stop is also nearby. Don't know about the Strand, but if having enough space to stretch out in your room (other thanon the bed!) is important you might check it out.

May 2nd, 1999, 03:00 PM
Karen

We stayed at the Strand Palace quite some time ago...I remember it as being very large and nothing to write home about. Two of us had a very, very small room and the other room was okay. Breakfast was not included so that gave us a chance to go across the street to the Savoy and have a really grand experience...it was beautiful and the staff very nice. I think you could do better than the Strand Palace.

May 2nd, 1999, 03:07 PM
Karen

I just remembered that today's paper had a little article about nice small hotels run by different women The Franklin, 28 Egerton Gardens, London SW3, 011-44-171-584-5533.....The Milestone, 1 Kensington Court, London, W8, 011-44-171-1000....The Leonard, 15 Seymour Street, W1, 011-44-935-2010....The Sloane, 29 Draycott Place Sw3, 011-44-171581-5757. The writer stated these were all formerly beautiful private homes and the writer had alot of complimentary remarks about the women who run these places.

May 3rd, 1999, 04:51 AM
Kathy

Thank you both for your replies. You were most helpful.

May 3rd, 1999, 07:07 AM
Iris

What a coincidence...returned from warm and sunny London last evening! Friday as I walked and was in need of a pharmacy to buy band aids (or stretch plaster as they appear to be called) I popped into the Plaza on Hyde Park to ask if a Boot's Pharmacy was close. The lovely gal at the desk gave me a band aid and off I went! I realized very shortly after that I had stayed at this very hotel on my first visit in 1985 (this hotel was recommended for american military on r&r) when it was under a different name. It had been renovated (appears they may be just finishing) and I noticed that COSMOS tours had a reception desk in the lobby. I cannot speak for the rooms, but the staff was more than cordial, the location is lovely (across from Hyde Park) the tube is close and it makes a very central place to stay. The Strand is in the theater area and is entirely a different experience. It is also near a tube, but much, much closer in to the center if this is a priority to you. Theaters two to ten minutes walk, etc. Enjoy wherever you decide to stay.

May 4th, 1999, 04:14 AM
Kathy

Iris,
Thank you for the information. We did confirm reservations yesterday at the Plaza on Hyde Park. Your report was reassuring. Hope you had a lovely trip.