Reload this Page >

Play in Regent's Park--What to Wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 02:22 PM
JJ

Has anyone attended an outdoor concert or play in London recently? We have tickets to a play in Regent's Park in August and I'm stumped about what to wear. Around here, an outdoor event means jeans, shorts or at best casual slacks, but London seems dressier. Any suggestions? All these clothes questions are interesting. I don't think we're really paranoid about looking "American" but we might as well try to dress appropriately if we can.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 02:50 PM
Nicole

Not knowing more about the event you're attending, I would guess that "nice casual" or "smart casual" is what most people will wear. I never attended an outdoor concert or play in London, but I did live there for a year. Jeans are everywhere (on locals as well as tourists). I went to several West End plays where I saw people in jeans (although not most people). Personally, for an outdoor play I would probably wear casual pants and a nice shirt. But if you want to wear jeans, wear a nice top and nice shoes so that you don't look sloppy.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 02:56 PM
anna

Walked by that theatre just before showtime a couple of weeks ago and do not recall seeing any jeans going in. I would say dressy slacks or a skirt.

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 01:34 AM
George Holt

At the moment the dress code is likely to be waterproofs, wellies and a souwester, we've had an appalling summer so far, very variable. What you wear under them may be academic.

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 04:00 AM
Siobhan

I go to the Regents Park theatre every summer. There is no dress code as such but most people to tend to dress in smart casual (mainly because most theatre goers eat out before or after the show and nearly all London restaurants operate a dress code). <BR> <BR>My advice would be to wear whatever you feel comfortable in because the seats aren't that comfortable. Bring a sweater or blanket with you because it gets very chilly after sunset. They have go a restaurant at the Regents Park theatre but I find it overly expensive. When I go, I either eat at a restaurant, usually "The Orerry" in Marylebone High Street (beware it is extremely expensive but the food is just out of this world) or if the weather is good we bring a picnic. There is a picnic area in the theatre enclosure. <BR> <BR>You can get picnic hampers from Harrods or Harvey Nichols but I find good old Marks and Spencer to be the best. If you've never shopped at M&S, it's a major high street retailer which is also the leading supplier of pre-prepared food. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I hope you have a great time. <BR> <BR>