Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning trip to Tuscany- what can we realistically do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we have the amazing opportunity to spend two weeks in a villa owned by a friend. We will be travelling late June 2008 (yes, I know I'm planning early!). I've never been to Italy but dreamed of it and am trying to make sure we see what we can while still having time to relac and enjoy. The villa is in the chianti region about 30 minutes outside San Gimignano. We'll obviously spend time in Pisa, Florence, and San Gimignano. I've accepted that Capri is probably a stretch (We'll be with our then 9 year old and almost 3 year old so we don't want to push it too much). What about Rome and Venice? What would everyone suggest? I do understand my question is vague and I apologize, but I really just have not clue where to start. Thank you so much for your advice and help!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Are you staying in the villa the entire time? If so, your options will be limited by time and distance. Get a good map and draw a 100 mile circle around your villa. Also, buy the book TOP 10 TUSCANY by Reid Bramlett---that is a good start.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi-Yes, we will be staying in the villa the entire time but we're getting a great deal so we're definitely willing to spend a couple nights in a hotel to see more! We can't go overboard since airfare will cost so much and we will be paying something for the villa, but I don't want to be too shortsighted not knowing if we'll get to go back. Thank you so much for the book recommendation.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Don't forget Siena!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Two weeks is a nice solid visit to Tuscany - you will be able to see and do a lot there. Good research will help you plan your trips through the area. YOu dont say where you are flying in - if you do an open jaw deal you can see Venice and Rome at the beginning and end of your trip. Try to fly to one of those rather than arranging to fly to Pisa and give yourself a couple days on the end of the trip to do it.

Capri is really much too far - I guess you could make a long trip up to Cinqueterre, or go to Viareggio or the Tuscan coast if you wanted beach.

Personally, Id go to the library and pull some of the books specific to Tuscany to get a feel of what is going to be around. You will have fun living and cooking in your villa. When we did a similar trip when our kids were small, we toured and ate lunch away, dinner back at our house. It was extremely relaxing.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will you have a car or were you planning to explore entirely via public transportation?

If the budget is tight (and I can understand how it would be with two kids), I'd spend the money on a car rental (rather than hotels) and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to explore Tuscany in depth. With a car, you could also plan a couple of longer days into Umbria.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

So many great things to think about- thank you!

We will be renting a car- from what I've read it sonds like we will really need to. In regards to where we'll be flying in/out of, I have no idea. It will really depend on the prices since we'll be buying four tickets...
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Last October, we rented a fantastic villa (Villa Aquilea)just outside Lucca last OCtober with 2 other families. We had 4 16 yr olds. Our biggest regret was not renting the villa for two weeks because we were trying to see the sights but also really wanted to enjoy relaxing at the villa. The kids didn't want to leave at all.

It will be a very full day to see Pisa and Cinqueterre. Tuscany is a lot larger than we expected.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:08 AM

A great place to go is bagnoreggio have a look at this:

http://www.comune.bagnoregio.vt.it/img/civita.jpg

There is a wonderful Bed and Breakfast and across the footbridge and you can spend a mornign wondering around this ancient small little commune attached to the rest of Italy by a little foot bridge. I will get more info on the bed and breakfast and post later.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM

Okay, we drove to the town of bagnoregio and stayed at the bed and breakfast Romantica Pucci which is run by a wonderful Italian (funny that) lady. Rates are between E65 and E75 for the night and it is very comfortable. Great Breakfast in the morning and the restaurant in town (the one she recommends) is fantastic!

YOu can catch a little shuttle bus or walk down to the footbridge that takes you across to the little town of Cevita, quite amazing really and you can wander around this little town feeling like you have been taken back in time. A great way to spend a day.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:03 AM

I think that two week here in tuscany are good to see our region and make a good sightseeing. In the chianti area don't forget little villages and castles .. it's a very nice tour, I've made a part of it some days ago.. I was
fascinated from landscapes and medieval village.
To see something more I suggest to go to 5 Terre and Portovenere, with car is a trip of 1 hour and half ...

have a good trip

www.apmhotels.com
www.hotelsempione.info
www.blucarservice.it
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:36 AM
ira

Hi mom,

You have lots of time to plan.

I suggest that you limit your drive time to 2 hrs out/2 hrs back.

This will allow you to see, for example, Florence, Pisa, Orvieto, Bologna...but not Venice and Rome.

Enjoy your planning.