Planning Trip to Spain

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Myer

Planning Trip to Spain

A trip planned for Spain last year became a victim. We have since been to London, Rome and Sorrento.

I am now beginning to plan Spain again.

The previous plan was:
--Madrid(4 days) with side to Toledo,
--Seville (3 days with side to Cordoba),
--Granada (1 day for Alhambra and little else),
--a few days in Marbella.

Then fly back to Madrid and to Miami.

I'm thinking of dropping a day in Madrid, possibly adding one each to Sevilla and Granada. I would like to keep Marbella in as it may be our only chance to see some of the towns but that is optional.

Is it practical to stop in Crodoba (what are luggage checking facilities like at the train station?) for the afternoon on the way to Sevilla or make the extra effort to backtrack from Sevilla for the day?

I would like to add Barcelona but I'm having trouble with the logistics (plane, train, etc).

The previous plan called for train travel and a car for a couple of days (automatic is very expensive for a few days) while in Marbella.

Any ideas on the best way to get this in. No more than 14 days.

Thanks.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Maira

Myer, I do remember your trip to Spain and was so sorry to learned it was cancelled. My own trip to Rome fell apart after 9/11 (did get to London and Paris since, though)....but Spain still there and still amazing!! I think you are in the right track by substracting a day from Madrid and adding it to Seville (may I suggest a day trip to Merida?). Make a day trip to Cordova from Seville; take a guided tour to save some time and avoid some of the hazzle. I would look into the few days in Marbella; day trips covering some stops along the Route of the White Villages is a must. Leave Barcelona for next Spain trip (and follow that one with another May trip to Northwest Spain!). Do you have the hotels lined up already?

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Myer

I don't think we'll go until next spring (May-June). I haven't looked at hotels yet. Just thinking at this time.

I guess I'll look back at where we were booked last time.

Thanks for responding. You were very helpful last time.

I still think we'll try to get in Barcelona. Too many people are saying good things about it.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Myer

Maira,

I forgot to mention. If you want to see photos of our last trip go to

www.travelwalks.com

Thanks again.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Maira

Thanks Myer for posting the site. WOW the pictures are amazing! The ones from Switzerland and Sorrento were breathtaking!! Seems you guys had a fantastic trip! Have a great time planning!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Leslie

Myer, I am planning a similar trip to Spain. I've found that there is only 1 flight per day from Seville to Barcelona (departs approximately at 10pm), but there are a couple of options from Granada, leaving earlier in the day. One of the airlines is Air Europa and the other is Iberia, but off the top of my head, I don't recall which airline services which city.

Last I checked 1 way fares were in the range of 200 Euro, however, from what I've seen those fares do drop quite a bit (saw sale fares 30 days prior to departure for 85 Euro).

Hope this information is helpful.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Marianne

I am taking the overnight trainfrom Sevilla to Barcelona--cheaper than a hotel room and funn! I can't wait!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Bill W

We are flying into Madrid on the 29th, renting a car and driving to Marbella, staying for one week at the Marriott Condo's. Then driving back. If anyone is interested in our experience, let me know.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:56 AM
canuck

I am very interested in more info on the Sevilla-Barcelona train..is there an English site I can get more info? I will arrive in Barcelona and then have to get to Seville. I will return to Barcelona from Malaga. Any other options?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Myer

Canuck,

Try www.renfe.com

Then select English.

Former Canuck

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM
zl

We did similar trip to Spain last August, I hope it might help:

Day 1 Arrived to Madrid in the morning (3 nights) – visited Museo del Prado and walked around the city
Day 2 in Madrid – Royal Palace, bus tour, more walks
Day 3 – rented car in the morning and went to Toledo for a day
Day 4 – early departure from Madrid to Cordoba (around 5 h drive) with late (extremely late) arrival to Seville for next 2 nights
Day 5 – Seville (absolutely loved it, will spend more time in Seville on my next trip)
Day 6 – long drive to Torremolinos via Gibraltar (nice, but takes too much time and should be avoid during shorter trips, we included Gibraltar for our kids)
Day 7 and 8 - Torremolinos (should be avoided all together, at list in August)
Day 9 – day trip to Alhambra with short overview of Granada; we bought our tickets to Alhambra in advance and save good few hours.

webside where you can order tickets to Alhambra
www.alhambratickets.com
or phone 902 22 44 60

Day 10 - One of small beautiful towns Mej…(just slipped my mind)
Overnight train from Malaga to Barcelona
Days 11,12, 14 - Barcelona (enjoyed it more then I can tell, definitely will go back and want to live in Barcelona for sort time)
Day 13 – trip to Monserat and Dali Museum
Overnight train to Madrid

I like the order a lot, I don’t think I would enjoy Madrid as much after Barcelona.
We rented car in Madrid end returned it at train station in Malaga, I probably will take train from Madrid to Seville and rent a car there (and go to Toledo with bus tour).

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Liza

We just returned from a trip to Spain and first off, I would definitely spend more time in Seville than Madrid. Seville is a much prettier city and much more relaxing.
I would stop in Cordoba on the way down to Seville. It makes no sense to backtrack from Seville. We took the AVE train from Madrid to Cordoba (1.5 hour trip), stored our luggage in the very nice lockers at the train station, and then caught the #3 bus right outside of the train station and that took us right by the Mezquita. After touring the Mezquita, we walked around Cordoba a bit and then caught the AVE down to Seville (only 45 min. more).
Definitely see Toledo on a day trip from Madrid, but I would spend more time in Andalucia than around Madrid.
Enjoy your trip!