Reload this Page >

Planning trip to Provence - travel book ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:46 AM
judy

I am in the process of planning a trip to southern france - our local bookstore has a very limited selection on this area. I usually like a book that gives some history and some sight & museum sections as well as hotel, dining and shopping sections. Do you have a favorite to recommend before I order a few books from Amazon? Thank you judy

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Gretchen

The DK Eyewitness Guide to Provence and the Michelin Green Guide.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Lori

If you can find it, the Hachette guide to Provence is very good.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Wayne

Far and away the best travel book you can buy is the Cadogan Guide for Provence. Look for it on the Amazon site or wherever you search for books. It provides historic and generally lesser-known details about many little villages and places that aren't covered by any other travel books. It is very well written, with an entertaining and informative style. The depth of its coverage will be immediately evident as soon as you begin reading. It has all the standard tourism information, including recommendations on the smaller and more intimate hotels and restaurants in out-of-the-way places.<BR><BR>No, I don't work for Cadogan. It's published in Great Britain, by the way, but typically available at large book stores as well as on the web.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:23 AM
judy

Thank you for the helpful selection of books. Can't wait. judy

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:12 PM
debbie

Judy -<BR>My husband will attest to the fact that I am a travel book nut. I love books that offer something unique and special, and here are a few of my favorites:<BR><BR>For General Info on the Area:<BR><BR>Eyewitness Top 10 Provence and Cote D'Azur<BR>Fodors Exploring Provence - detailed and lots of pics<BR>Ulysses - Provence and Cote d'Azur - Honest Writing<BR>The Most Beautiful Villages of Provence - Beautiful pictures of the villages<BR><BR>For Itinerary Info:<BR><BR>Karen Brown Inns, and Karen Brown Bed and Breakfasts<BR><BR>For Lodging:<BR><BR>Charming Small Hotel Guide - Southern France<BR>Special Places to Stay - France<BR>Hotels and Country Inns of Character and Charm in France<BR>Hidden Gems of Provence - A to die for book with beautiful pictures<BR><BR>For Markets/Food:<BR><BR>Markets of Provence<BR>Food Lovers Guide to France<BR><BR>Have Fun!!<BR><BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Kay

I used both DK and Cadogan for my recent trip to Provence, but I find that I overplan everything and never really paid much attention to all my info from the Cadogan book, too detailed. I would check out the DK book first and see if it provides enough information for you. Kay