Reload this Page >

Travel book for Provence & Cote d' Azur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:11 PM
sue

My cousin is planing a trip to Provence & Cote d'Azur in Sept. I would like to give her a really great travel book about this area. She has already booked her rooms. I would like a book that offers great ideas for shopping, dining, antique markets. Any ideas?<BR>Thank you<BR>sue

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Christina

I'd suggest the Cadogan Guide to Provence/Cote d'Azur. It's my favorite for that area.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Sue

Patricia Wells' "Food Lover's Guide to France", while not devoted entirely to Provence, does have a lengthy section on restaurants, markets, etc., in that area (both Provence and Cote d'Azur)of France.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:35 PM
John B.

Sue:<BR>I have found that complementing traditional guidebooks with more literary selections gives one a better sense of place and its history. In this regard, check out Ford Madox Ford's Provence; James Pope-Hennessy's Aspects of Provence; Bo Niles' A Window on Provence; and, my all time favourite but hard to find W. S. Merwin's The Lost Upland. There are many more but so litte time.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:49 PM
dave

I have the fodor's which is informative about different sites in area. I am also planning on getting the TimeOut guide to the french riviera which is has more of the local perspective on restaurants/hotels etc- it can be ordered on Amazon online if not in your local bookstore.<BR>Dave