Reload this Page >

Planning my itinerary

Search

Planning my itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Beth

Planning my itinerary

My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland in June, 2001. We will be spending 3 days in Muerren. We eventually are going to Venice, but have an additional 2 days (and 2 nights) to spend in Switzerland. I have been thinking about going from Muerren to Lucerne, and then from Lucerne to Lugano, and from Lugano to Venice, but I'm wondering if this would be the best itinerary. We will be taking trains, not driving. Thanks in advance for input!

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 04:14 AM
s

Beth, <BR>This sounds like quite a lot of moving & packing for my taste. To me, there are (very) diminishing returns to seeing a new place every day (though I know the movable Rex disagress!!). I would suggest, at most, one more destination for your vacationn (or maybe even staying one extra night in Muerren and Venice each). If you do not want to do that, here are some other recommendations: <BR> <BR>Spend both nights in Lucerne, certainly worth the trip and the time. If you prefer smaller places (as your Muerren destination suggests), go to either Weggis or Brunnen outside of Lucerne. You might have an additional hassle of making train/ferry schedules, but it will probably be worth it. <BR> <BR>Spend both nights on the lakes. I personally do not like Lugano -- too big and too difficult to get around w/o a car. Try instead Locarno or Ascona or Bellagio (lots and lots of info here; this place is popular here at Fodors). <BR> <BR>You can get rail info on connections, schedules, costs, etc. at www.rail.ch. <BR> <BR>You've got lots of time to plan. <BR> <BR>s. <BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 03:11 PM
Manju

S, <BR>Are you back from your November trip to Lucerne or are you yet to go ? I do remember reading that you were planning a trip to Lucerne this November. <BR> <BR>I am in the final stages of my planning and am in the process of estimating the actual costs involved. The Lucerne tourist office did mail me a lot of information. Looks like we'll have to miss some of the mountain excursions due to the time of our visit - late December. <BR>Will publish my final itinerary here for your opinion soon. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>-Manju

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Manju

Beth, <BR>Sorry I ignored your message. Like I wrote in the previous post, we would be in Lucerne this late-December. This is our first time in Switzerland. Will let you know about our train/driving experiences after we are back. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>-Manju

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Bob

I agree with the first poster re Lugano. We were staying in Bellagio last year and drove over to Lugano to check it out. Nice big city, but nothing to really want me to go back. If you want to stay in that area do Bellagio. <BR> <BR>I too would spend additional time in the Murren area and additional time in Venice. Most people always need to return to Venice, as we do, because they always say they did not stay long enough on the first trip. We did four nights in Venice in 96 and still needed to return again in 99 for more. Will be back again also. <BR> <BR>Bottom line: Stay settled in one area and really get to know it well. The moving around too much will leave you with not much memory of anything.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Manju

s, <BR>I did find your earlier post mentioning that you were planning to stay in the Balances. We are presently debating between the Wilden Mann and the Balances. I initially thought that the decor and ambience of Wilden mann would <BR>make up for the lack of river/lake/mountain view. But now I am <BR>not too sure about it. Was wondering if the Balances' ambience is good enough to make us consider it. This is a special trip for both of us and I don't want us to end up in a "room with a view" but without any taste, ambience or homely decor - like a "chain hotel". <BR>Let me know how you find/found the Balances and we might go with the Balances itself. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>-Manju

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 05:06 AM
s

Manju, <BR>(Forgive us, Beth, as we piggy-back on your post!) <BR> <BR>When I first responded on 15 Nov, I was sitting at the Montreux Palace's internet cafe. Now I'm back home. <BR> <BR>I really, really, really enjoyed the Hotel des Balances. I had room #104, with a view of the river & the Jesuit Church across the way. Every day swans gathered at the steps in front of the Church, and the scene was too picturesque to believe. I left on a Saturday am, and merchants were just setting up their booths for what looked like a huge and interesting market alongside the river. The rooms at the Balances are not at all "modern-chain"; rather they're typically Swiss with down comforters and old-world (I can't tell an antique from a . . .) furniture. An additional plus at the Balances is the restaurant . . . I ate there twice, and both times the food was so good it hurt! <BR>I really can't recommend this hotel highly enough! Doesn't the hotel's website have photos of the rooms (www.balances.ch)? I don't recall. Also note that a taxi from the HBH will cost about 10 CHF although you could really walk there if you don't have a lot of luggage and know where you're going -- it's only about three blocks from the station. Also, if you want a porter, you need to ring the bell outside the entrance -- I didn't see it and hauled my heavy bag upstairs like a dolt. <BR> <BR>You can easily spend one day exploring the old town and its historical sites, where both Balances and Wilden Mann are located. You should also spend one day on the ferry out to Rutli meadow. I think I would probably get off the ferry at Brunnen or Weggis on the way back and explore these smaller villages & nearby walking trails. Now, I'm sorry I didn't make time for this. <BR> <BR>Anyway, if you-all have any more questions, feel free to ask. <BR> <BR>s

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 01:43 PM
Mike

Beth, <BR> <BR>The William Tell Express sounds as if it was made for you. It runs from Lucerne to Lugano/Locarno (choice), by boat/train. I believe meals are served, and that there are panoramic cars for viewing the Alpine scenery, and I think the price is OK.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 02:03 PM
Rex

To "swandav" - - just a point of clarification about my views on moving around. I do NOT disagree with the majority viewpoint that you should move around less, see more of where you are. <BR> <BR>But it IS true that I have considerable experience with moving frequently, and I think that a well-planned driving itinerary, moving frequently, CAN be a good experience if that is what you seek. For me, these are "scouting trips" from time to time as I plan new itineraries for groups with which I have had the pleasure of traveling. The goal is very different from that of most travelers when I travel this way - - I seek to see three or four hotels and a couple of restaurants and then move on, because I know I will be coming back. <BR> <BR>As for Beth's specific question, I am not familiar with Muerren enough to answer (indeed, I do not consider myself particularly knowledgeable about Switzerland - - just all the great places that touch up against this expensive little country!) <BR> <BR>But as "swandav" suggests, I cannot believe that Lugano is worth the trouble as an intermediate point on the way to Venice. I would head in the direction of Innsbruck and the Trentino region of Italy (through the Brenner Pass). My experience with Lugano was an uninspiring afternoon there last fall - - and too many others on this site have rated Lugano as "mediocre". <BR> <BR>I do wholeheartedly endorse Weggis as a great little twist on the "usual" visit to Luzern. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:16 AM
s

Rex: <BR>Sorry to have mis-quoted/mis-read your travelling practices; it was my clumsy way to say that different folks have different approaches to travel. I envy you that you can do both: the quick recon to see which places you'll need to return to, plus the lengthy stays to let a place soak in. Believe me, I'd love to do a recon on most of the places I read about here on this forum! I'm glad that you do, and that you are good enough to report back to us. <BR> <BR>s