Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning by the Hour, or Take it as You Go...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(first, I confess, I'm addicted to Fodor's now--we'll see what happens after this trip has passed)

When planning your itinerary, do you plan your days by the hour, so you know exactly what you're doing when. OR...do you have a big list of stuff you want to see and do, and just take it as it comes? Curious what works best for everyone
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Pretty much as I go. I plan the big things like hotels and connections and such. Besides Tgv tickets I do the train tickets there. I'll do a loose list of day trips and sights but not what I'm doing each day unless I'm someplace for only 2 days and a museum or something is only open one of the days, stuff like that. Definitely not hour by hour, I'm on vacation which is why I stay away from tours.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Hi Tamara,
Depends on the place and on how much time I have.

If I have a short time somewhere with lots of things that I want to do, I like to have a very definite plan, know opening/closing times/days, maybe even make reservations. (This does includes leaving some "down" time every day.)

When I have more time, I just make a list and see what we feel like doing every day.

I have to admit, though, that the planning is half the fun for me. So I tend to plan a lot! You just have to remember to plan to be flexible and have a good attitude when things don't go as planned!

(And I'm addicted, too!)
So have fun planning!
dina
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Follow my nose...but lots of reading and planning so I'm not flying blind but have ideas of what to see and do.

I made a chart for my trip to Paris with key info (days closed, hours of operation, etc.) so I could pick and choose based on how things were going each day.

Reservations were made for "must dos" including lunch at Jules Verne and night Fat Tire Bike Tour.

So...combination of the above?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM

I like to have things planned so that we're not hopscotching all over town every day, and that we don't go to a museum the day after their free day (if thre is one) and like that.

Tha being said, we stay loose so that if something takes more or less time than we anticiapted, we can adjust the plan as needed.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM

We used to plan the big things like Museums ( one is closed, so you go to another one that day-get museum cards etc) and then whatever neighborhood we were in, we stayed in the neighborhood and shopped and did our sight-seeing.
Dinners in places that were hard to get in to or special, we booked ahead of time, so that sort of ruled what or where we would be in the later part of the day.
Otherwise, we made lists of what we really wanted to do or see and just went through them.
Now when we go to Paris, we just go. We get up in the am and walk, stopping wherever we feel like it. But hotels, restaurants and museums I think should always be taken care of in advance.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Mrs. Fly and I make lists of what we want to see in each location. Then we prioritize those lists in 3 categories:
1. If I don't see these things I'll regret it forever and will be moody and bitchy the rest of the trip.

2. I'd really like to see these things, but I'll get over it pretty quickly if it doesn't happen.

3. Nice to see if I happen to pass by while strolling through town.

We do make general plans for the #1 items; e.g., Wednesday morning we'll see these 3 sights and Thursday morning the other 2 sights. Second level items we kind of work in and around the #1s. 3s get picked up catch as catch can.

Sometimes our priorities don't match--for #1 items we'll sometimes split up for a while--she can have her 4 hours in the Louvre while I spend a couple of hours in the Picasso Museum and then wander around for a bit.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:41 AM

We usually plan the trip between us, my hubby would be inclined to cram too much into one day if he was left to his own devices! So we plan together, I like to stop and have a coffee here and there between each attraction. I make sure I know in advance which shops I will be looking at, but dont tell him!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi TE,

I carefully plan an itinerary, and then scrap it about the second day.

I follow RFT's model.

Always leave time for serendipity.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:57 AM

A little of both. I do a lot of research and always have a daily plan to go by, but don't follow it to the letter and enjoy plenty of spontaneity.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:57 AM

It depends on how much time I have, but usually DH and I come up with a list of "must sees" and then go with the flow from there. Sometimes we get to all the "must sees" and sometimes not, but we don't stress about it too much. Some of my favorite vacation memories include doing or seeing things that we had not planned on. I also like to leave a lot of time for lingering, taking in the atmosphere and enjoying a good glass of wine or cup of coffee.

Tracy
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:07 AM

If you are going to visit museums, you have to figure out when they're open and when they're closed. When I arrive on a list of the most important things to see and do, I look at a detailed map and see what else of interest is in the nighborhood. There may be something (e.g. a fountain, a small church) that is worth seeing if you're in the neighborhood, but not neccessarily worth a trip across town.

I also like to try to figure out what is open at night and visit that then, in order to save the daylight hours for those things that are only open during the day.

Other cricumstances may require more detailed planning. For example, if you buy a museum pass in Paris, I believe it must be used on consecutive days. You would want to time your musuem visits for those days, rather than taking a day trip in the middle.

Some things are best seen in clear or sunny weather. For example, before we went to Interlaken, someone told us, "If you wake up in the morning and it is perfectly clear outside, that is your Jungfrau day." On about the third day we were there, we got that clear day, so off to the Jungfrau we went. I'd say the same thing about visiting St. Chappelle (sp) in Paris (or anywhere else with terrific stained glass). If you ever have a very bright, sunny day, that's the day you should go.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Absolutely agree, Missypie. You have to keep plans open to make changes for weather and opportuntiy.

My clear day outside of Kandersteg was wasted when I kept plans to go on somewhere else, thinking I could hike t the lake the next day. Which I never did because the weather turned.

I have also been on a river cruise tour where I was pushed along when I would rather have lingered in a town.

It is your vacation, my suggestion is to be lose and learn and have fun, otherwise it is just another form of a workday.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:15 AM
twk

If I'm in a big city with lots of sites, and a number of days to see them, then I don't try to work out any kind of hour by hour plan, although if there is a particular time that is best to be someplace, or not be someplace, I take that into account.

Now, if I'm in a rural area, or moving from one destinations to another, I've pretty much got that planned out, though plans are always subject to change. What is it they say about war? Everyone's got a plan until they get shot at.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Everyone is different. Our preference is the big picture approach particularly with Paris. We agree we want to hear a concert at St. Chapelle, visit the Musee D'Orsay, go to favorite restaurants, etc. We do not schedule days, hours, when, and remain flexible if alternatives present themselves.

Let Paris, Rome, etc come to you. Just sitting at a sidewalk bistro can be fun. Do not make a rigid detailed schedule as it will probably become more of a hindrance than a help.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM

We get plane tickets, hotel ressies and car in advance. Then we have guidebooks and a long list of what we want to see/do.

We check to see if there are things that you need definite tickets for in advance - and do that. (We have found these to be very rare - Vatican Scavi tours and Ceremony of the Keys in London the only things so far.)

Otherwise we play everything as it goes.
(Who knows what the weather will be? Who knows which nights you stay out late and want to sleep in? Who knows what you will happen on that looks more fun than what you originally planned?)

Otherwise - it's more like the DDay invasion than a vacation.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I take it as it comes... or eludes me
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:59 AM

There's always a "list" and it rarely ever gets completed. Don;t even think about planning every minute unless you are not going with anyone else; you'll never stick to the plan completely so why waste all that energy?
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:14 PM

I am very much like Ira. I do a ton of research, have a general list of want's. Get there, & scrap it as I find even better things to do. Over the course of time we have done a better job of having reasonable expectations, as well as 'down time' during our trips.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:20 PM
ira

>Otherwise - it's more like the DDay invasion than a vacation.<

That is, a very careful plan that is scrapped on the 2nd day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -