Planning Barcelona itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Barcelona for 3 1/2 days. I would like to group sights based on locale. Can you please help me with the groupings for each day. If there are any sights that are must sees, I would so appreciate you mentioning and adding.
1. La Segrada Familia
2. Hospital de Sant Pau
3. Park Guell
4. Casa Mila
5. Palau de la Musica
6. Casa Batllo
7. Palau Guell
8. Barri Gotic
9. Montserrat
10. Magic Fountain
11. Poble Espanol
12. Olympic Stadium
13. Picasso Museum
14. MNAC
15 .Girona ??????
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM

I was in Barcelona in 2009 with my mom and teenage son in tow! The Magic Fountain was beautiful at night but you have to get there a little early. We had just come off a 12 day cruise so we took things kinda slow. We enjoyed the Chocolate Museum but found the Picasso Museum a little ho hum and it was quite pricey for our taste. It could be that we just lack an appreciation for Picasso. DO NOT MISS the Market of la Boqueria!!! It is a fabulous open air market on La Rambla! La Rambla was a long strip and very interesting!! We stayed in an apartment not far from the La Segrada Familia and walked there only to look at the outside. There are several areas that form of architecture is displayed. Montserrat was a destination that I would have liked to have gone but...only there for 3 days and we didn't want to wear ourselves out any more. You'll love whatever you do and see. It's a beautiful city and we hope to go back someday.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drop Olympic Stadium but do add the cable car that goes over the harbour (half way or the whole way does not matter)
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM

I take it you're planning on booking everything yourself. It will be a very busy 3-1/2 days, especially if you are flying in from an international destination. The Boqueria market can consume half a day at least (www.boqueria.info). Have you taken a look at Maribel's Guide to Barcelona? You might find it useful in planning your time.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 09:39 PM

I was there in December 2010 with my teenage sons, but I'm not familiar with all the places you mention. Still a few thoughts:

La Segrada Familia was closing early the day we went. From there, we walked all the way to Parc Guell. It's a long walk but we like walking and it's the best way to really see things. Don't miss Parc Guell, especially with teens who like moving around outdoors. It's great.

Casa Battlo, also a great thing to see. You can walk from here to La Segrada (much closer than to Parc Guell) but I don't know that I'd recommend doing both of those in the same day. Personally, I would not go to more than one of these per day.

Barrio Gothic is very interesting, with it's high walls. The Picasso Museum is in that area as is a really wonderful museum that takes you beneath modern day Barcelona. Very interesting but you'll need to research; I forget what it's called.

Definitely spend time on Las Ramblas. It's where all the people are and you will likely find yourself on it often.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:34 AM

Could I please have some feedback on which of Gaudi's houses Casa BAttlo or Mila is best to visit as we only have time to see inside one?
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM

I'm also interested in this question. I had planned to see Casa Calvet and not the other two houses but I would like some feedback prior to deciding which house(s) to see. Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:41 AM

Drop Girona, you have plenty to see in Barcelona IMHO in 3.5 days without the 2 hours trip to Girona and whilst nice you will get way more value out of seeing all the wonderful things Barcelona has to offer.

Also you can pre purchase Sagrada Familia tixs at any La Caxia bank ATM saves you waiting in the (long Q)u just go up to the pre purchased tockest line and walk straight in.
There is a lovely Gaudi house that is very little touristed, I can't remember the name right now but i will find out and let you know later.
Also consider www.Runnerbeantours.com they do an awesome free Gaudi tour, which you could do (only 2.5 hours) that way you could decide which house to go back and visit (you dont go IN to any of the houses with Runnerbean) click on my name for my recent trip to Barcelona and my review of runnerbean.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM

There is no such thing as a "must see" recommended by someone else - you need to prioritize your own list.

You can't do Montserrat and Girona with only 3.5 days. Each is a full day trip. Wouldn't recommend either if you have only 3.5 days.

Casa Batllo and La Pedrera (Casa Mila) are close together. Parc Guell is not close to any of the other sites, but it is a short cab ride (and UPhill) from Casa Mila. We liked the roof on Casa Mila, others like the interior of Casa Batllo. Google for pictures if you want to choose only one. Note that Casa Mila is on the Art Ticket BCN package (articketbcn.org) but Casa Batllo is not.

The Picasso Museum is in the Barri Gotic. It and MNAC are also on the Art Ticket BCN package.

Going to Barcelona and not viewing the Sagrada Familia's exterior (at least) is like missing the Duomo in Florence.

The Magic Fountains are fun. It's a nighttime attraction so it won't cut into your daytime touring. MNAC is nearby.

Poble Espanyol is far afield from the center of Barcelona and not close to any Metro stops.

La Bocqueria is a lot of sound and fury, signifying very little. Lots of bright and colorful displays but the quality is middling. You do NOT need a 1/2 day or more there. La Rambla is the center of tourist traps and the largest concentration of Barcelona's famous pickpockets and scammers. If you're also going to Madrid, just visit Mercado San Miguel instead for a better experience and better food.

Parc de la Ciutadella is worth visiting - google pictures of the famous fountain.

Guard your stuff - Barcelona is well-known for its petty thievery, pickpockets, scams and other small time crime against tourists.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:09 AM

Just came back from a visit 3 weeks ago. This is my opinion:

You HAVE to visit the interior of Sagrada Familia or you will regret it. Do check if the Hospital De Sant Pau is open for visitors. It was closed for renovation when we wanted to visit. Park Guell is certainly not within walking distance from Sagrada Familia. It is quite a distance and the walk would involve walking up some slopping roads so if you are not quite up for it, then I'd suggest a cab ride. You must not miss it though. You can easily do Boqueria market in 2-3 hours. It is not that big and there are lots to see. Casa Batllo looks really pretty outside compared to Casa Mila but we did not go in so cannot comment on its interior. Both are near one another. We did all the Gaudi stuff in one day and it is doable. Do be careful with your belongings. The only one time we took the metro we were nearly pickpocketed if not for my daughter's quick thinking. Have fun.