Planning a southern Italy trip

Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Planning a southern Italy trip

Would like to plan a trip to southern Italy next fall possibly starting in Tuscany. Any ideas or itineraries would help. Would appreciate any info anyone can give. Thanks
Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM

Tuscany and Southern Italy are several hours apart. The unofficial demarcation line between Southern Italy and not-Southern Italy is Rome, although some will argue that it is Naples, some will argue the Campania/Lazio border. From the way you asked your question, I'm not sure what your idea of the "south" is.

That said, for us to answer your question, we need a boatload more information.

Where in southern Italy are you looking for? How far south? Rome? Naples? Cilento? Calabria? Sicily?

How long do you want to spend? What are your priorities (good beach, easy access to the airport, not in Naples, etc.)? What do you want to do? What do you want to see?
Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM

Well, in order to give you any useful information at all we'd appreciate knowing how much time you plan to spend there, at what time of year, what your budget is, how many of you and what ages traveling, what experience you have with Italy or Europe, what it is you're interested in doing and seeing in southern Italy, and why you chose to travel in Italy. Thanks.

Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM

Ooops! I see you did actually mention traveling in the fall. Well, that's a wee bit of a start.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay sorry for being so vague. My husband works in Milan, we are from US and we have seen northern Italy all the way from Lake Como to Rome. Want to go south Probably could save Tuscany for another trip if it is that far apart,so let's say Amalfi Coast, Capri etc. Have to pull my map out but still not sure of where everything is and what is actually possible in say a 10 day trip. Would just be my husband and I and not really concerned with a budget at this point. Does that help?
Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM

TONS of posts on Amalfi, Capri, etc. if you do a search...there was also a very recent thread about Southern Italy

I have a vacation home in the Campania hills (on the border of Basilicata and Puglia) - happy to answer anything specific...but will let others chime in if you're planning on the Amalfi coast as a base as there's a bunch of info. here on that area!

10 days is a perfect amount of time for seeing the main sites of the area (Naples, Pompeii, Paestum, etc.)and taking in the coast.

Have a great trip!