Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Places to visit between Madrid and Barcelona

May 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I have been reading these forums and have seen great tips about travel in Spain.

I will be traveling with my husband and three children to Madrid and Barcelona at the end of this month for 12 days--4 days in Madrid, 5 days in Barcelona. We decided to rent a car to make the drive between the two cities, so we would get a feel for the landscape of the country. Does anyone have any suggestions for a layover between M & B? We thought we would spend a night or two on the road.

Thanks!
May 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Probably the most interesting place would be Zaragoza, which hosts the 2008 Expo from June to September.
May 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Valencia is great its between b and m - we took the rail - and the beaches in valencia are great
May 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM

In the direct route from Barcelona to Madrid by A2 highway you'll pass by Lerida/Lleida, and Zaragoza as main cities, in both you can stop for some time, may be a couple of hours in Zaragoza.

Zaragoza is right in the middle of the route and there are many hotels and hostals for all budgets, here you can find a place for overnight more easyly and wander some more time around the city.
http://www.zaragoza.es/ciudad/turismo/

After Zaragoza i recommend Monasterio de Piedra, near your route, and a very nice place to spend some hours.
http://www.monasteriopiedra.com/

After this place also of some interest is Siguenza, also near the A2 highway

http://www.siguenza.com/

May 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to checking these places out. This is only my second trip out of the US--ever-- so I'm a little anxious.

Is Zaragoza a place where you would want to wander a couple of days or is it the type of place where you would have a long lunch?

I'm thinking my kids (ages 18, 15, 13) would enjoy the beaches of Valencia more? I would hate to pigeon-hole them in this way and miss out on some cool, obscure sites.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Maureen
May 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM

Valencia is hardly on the way to Barcelona from Madrid, at least not the most direct route.

Zaragoza has changed quite a bit because of Expo 2008. They have made a number of improvements over the last few years and have spruced the place up. I would say that it is worth a couple of days if you want to explore the city before it gets too busy this summer.

http://www.expozaragoza2008.es/
May 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Zaragoza is a city to spend a few hours and that's all, even just a long lunch.

For kids: Valencia have very good beaches. You could spend a night in Valencia city and visit the beach of Malvarrosa-Las Arenas and the city of arts and science.
www.cac.es

In the direct route they would enjoy Monasterio de Piedra probably, not the building but the big park surrounding it, which is why many people visit this place.

May 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM

You are so right victor d, I was impressed with valencia beaches, it was unbelieveable and as soon as we arrived in valencia it light up my husband and two daughters faces, plus all the flamenco, there is also a science museum which is one of the best and your kids should love it, i go with victor
May 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM

i also agree the barcelona-valencia-madrid boomerang is actually a tad longer, but permits MANY historical photo ops.

peñiscola
valencia

then on road to madrid
you have alarcon (parador castle)
cuenca..(off the road, but if you have the time.. worth the detour.)

you can actually access madrid from a different angle.. sliding west and go to toledo or aranjuez instead of straight into madrid.

if you DO go through zaragoza, i understadn the expo is going ot be very interesting.
also.. the siguenza suggestion is a MUST!

May 11th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good tips. We have decided on Madrid-Valencia-Barcelona.

In Madrid we have booked a hostel:
http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels.../madrid/30522/

In Valencia, we have booked an apartment near the Arts and Science Museum.

In Barcelona, we are deciding between an apartment in the Eiample district and the El Born district.

Any advice??

Maureen
May 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM

I think teenage kids would like El Born area.