Places to Stay in Montepulciano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have suggestions for a place to stay for 2 nights in Montepulciano? Has anyone heard of Villa Nottolla?
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Actually in Montepulciano no. I have driven past this Nottola place , they are wine makers, but have never seen the inside. I found a place between Chiusi and Montepulciano. It is called Villa il Patriarca. small hotel, fabulously redone and a restaurant out of this world.

lorri
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Hi, we are traveling to Montepulciano in September, and I made reservations at this place. Another fodorite recommended it. It appears very nice on the website, and seems like it's an only place that's actually in town.

http://www.ilriccio.net/english/meuble.html
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:38 AM

There are other hotels in the historic center.

Check out this site..
http://www.montepulciano.com/hotels.php
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:22 AM

We stayed at Il Riccio two springs ago and liked it very much. It was extremely quiet and peaceful. Our view was amazing- the Tuscan hillside. We stayed in spare badroom- that shares a bathroom with the owner- 65 euros a night. And dispell a rumor- you can drive into Montepulciano if you are staying in town.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Yes you can drive into the historic center of Montepulciano...even if you are not staying there.

The problem is parking. I did not see any non resident parking in the historic center. Ther are small lots scattered outside the city.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:59 AM

We stayed at Hotel la Terrazza, which is right in the heart of the city. They do have on site parking, but you'll need Roberto (the owner) to navigate you to it. We just came across this hotel by chance, and had a great time here. It's a very comfortable 2* with spacious rooms in a great location, in an apartment building with a good trattoria in it. The owner, Roberto, speaks very little English, so you may have translation problems. However he was the most animated, friendly person we encountered on our entire trip and made for a memorable stay in this beautiful town.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:53 AM

We drove into the town center (yes, you can get in there if you are not staying there) and would not recommend it unless you are an experienced hill driver or have an automatic! Park at the bottom and take the bus up!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Don't know about hotels there but I just read something last week about Montepulciana in a travel newsletter I get called Where To Go Next. I think they archive their stuff on their website www.wheretogonext.com if you're interested in checking it out. Maybe they mention hotels.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:40 AM

With all due respect to Roz, it isn't necessarey to take the bus up the hill. If you walk the hill you will see so much more.

FOr "day trippers" there are a number of small parking lots adjacent to the city( thge parking lots have numbers).

Don't miss the workshops ( copper and woodworking ) at the top of the hill.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM

I like walking, but probably wouldn't walk up that hill (& narrow sidewalks) with luggage.

We stayed at the Il Riccio last fall and had great ensuite rooms for 80 euros. There's also a cool little rooftop patio. Ask for a room with a view of the countryside.