Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Places to stay between Toulouse and Carcassonne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,
I am travelling to France in June and I am flying into Toulouse. We're going to be staying in a gite near Cenne Monesties, near-ish Carcassonne. We want to drive down from Toulouse airport and stay one night en route. Has anyone any suggestions for places to see and stay in on the way? The only towns marked in seem to be Castelnaudary and Revel.. Anyone stayed in these places? We're looking for something with character/ maybe rustic but not remote, or perhaps a chateau. Our price is limit is around 150 per room..
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Ask Stu Dudley for his itinerary for this area, but both Castelnaudary (famous as being the birthplace of cassoulet and for its handmade furniture) and Revel would be fine. But that whole area is full oflovely places - St-Férréol is a beautiful lakeside town, Montolieu is a famous book/library village, and there's Graulhet and so many more.

It's not that far from Toulouse to Carcassonne - how much time do you want to spend between them?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi StCirq,
We actually are only looking for one night's accommodation in that general area as we are travelling on to the gite we've booked. We will be touring around the area when we're staying at the gite, but would be nice to use the spare night to stay somewhere different (as opposed to a chain hotel in Toulouse)..
Could you recommend any hotels or B+Bs in Revel,Castelnaudary ,St-Férréol, Montolieu,Graulhet?
Thanks
Keith
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
ira

ttt
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Keith, I would second a stay in Revel. We were in the area two years ago also staying in a gite. Our gite was in the very small town of Loubens Lauragais. We had more to do than we had time but we did spend one afternoon walking around the market square of Revel. We came back in the evening to dine outside in the peaceful courtyard at Le Lauragais. Our stay in the area was very memorable as I am sure yours will be also. Deborah
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Check out the Hôtel-Restaurant du Midi in Revel. Don't think it has its own website, but you can look at this:

http://www.routedescassoulets.com/rd...os/r_aymes.htm

Or in St-Férréol:

http://www.lacomtadine.com/
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM

We really liked the Château de Montledier, near the sheep town of Mazamet. The château is set in lovely grounds, and the rooms are large and nicely decorated. It's all quite peaceful, ideal for relaxing at the end of a day's sightseeing and driving.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for all your suggestions.I especially like the idea of staying in a Chateau.In any case, I will definitely pay some visits to the towns you all mention. I am also looking into the idea of driving directly from Toulouse to Carcassonne and staying in Chateau Cavanac,which is 5km outside the city. Has anyone stayed there? it seems to have had good reviews on Tripadvisor..
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM

I would spend the first night in Mirepoix - a very cute Bastide town. It's almost all freeway to get there. My Michelin Red guide lists what seems to be a nice hotel built in 1742. Rates in '05 were 180 to 300 per night. There is a less expensive hotel with rooms 80 to 85. This would get you to a sligltly different area, that you might not get to from Cenne Montesties. If you arrive early in the afternoon and still have some "spunk" left, head to Foix and the Pyrenees. This is an interesting town to explore. You could even stay there - we stayed at the Lons, which is right on the river with nice views. Rooms are 52 to 65. We had a wonderful dinner at Phoebus restaurant. If you want to stay in a small town, try Mirepoix - if you want a slightly larger town, try Foix - but also visit Mirepoix on the way to/from the Carcassone region.

Next day you could head south from Mirepoix on the D625 to Lavalanet, or east from Foix on the D117 or any of the smaller more scenic roads (get the Michelin 344 map). Then head east on the D117 to Quillan. The next route is an up-&-back through a very pretty section of the Defile de Pierre Lys and through the Gorges de St Georges. From Quillan, head south through the Pierre Lys on the D117. at Axat, get on the D118 south which turns west after about 4 K. Take the D118 through the Gorges de St George to where if forks with the D26 just east of Rouze - it is not as pretty past this fork. Reverse the car and travel north following the same roads you took from Quillan. Continue north on the D118 which leads to Carcassone.

You should easily make it to your Gite by 4:00, which is the normal "check-in" time

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Yes, Cavanac is a nice place. I have all the info on it for a future possibility...although with the plans that I am looking at I may want to be further east.
If you do stay there please let us know about your stay. Enjoy......
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks very much Stu for all those suggestions-- they give us great ideas for planning our trip.
I checked out that hotel in Mirepoix,I assume it's Relais Royal? It looks great but the price is a little high for us, and we also have small children in the party and this place might not be that accommodating of them. But I'll look into the possibility of Hotel Lons. Thanks.
In your travels, have you gone to MONTPEZAT-DE-QUERCY? It seems to be near Montabaun? I am wondering if I should make a detour from Toulouse up to this place as I have found a fabuluous small hotel which I'd love to stay in. The owners say it takes 90mins to get there from Toulouse. Would you think the area is worth this detour?
Thanks so much for your help.
Keith
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 02:21 PM

>>In your travels, have you gone to MONTPEZAT-DE-QUERCY? It seems to be near Montabaun?<

Yes - many times - very lovely Bastide town. One of the Gites we stay in is very close to there - we've spent 2 weeks in that immediate region. Quercy Blanc (the region around there) is very pretty. The Gorges de l'Aveyron near St Antonin Noble Val is also quite interesting. I have driving itineraries and several restaurant suggestions for that area in my Languedoc Itinerary - I think I sent you a copy. Read about Quercy Blanc and the Gorges de l'Aveyron.

That would be a good area to explore prior to Carcassone, and the drive from th Gorges to Carcassone is extremly pretty - see my itinerary.

I did not like Montauban.

The less expensive hotel in Mirepoix is Maison des Consuls - rooms 80 to 85.

Stu Dudley