what could be the best. I will be there with my wife and 2 children
(14 and 8 yrs), so we have to split the time between History, Fun and
beutiful sights. Also we would be going there by car and would have a
car with us to go around. We will be there on Jul 29, 30th and 31st (
Fri, Sat and Sunday). The 3 options I have are :

1. Sarlat Downtown
2. 1.7 Km north of Sarlat downtown
3. In La Roque Gageac

What would be your suggestion to us for the place to stay. I had thought about the Sarlat downtown as the saturday market is well recommended and we can be right there. Suggestions please!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer may depend on whether you like a busy, noisy, shopping type atmosphere, or if you want to watch the Dordogne River rolling by your room and see some very quaint countryside.

We stayed two nights in May at Belle-Etoile in La Roque-Gigeac. It was a Logis de France so not luxurious, but more than adequate. The food was very good. There's not a lot to do in the town but gawk at the scenery or take a boat ride. However you're not many km from Sarlat.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:39 AM

We stayed at a hotel which I belive is named Le Madelaine in the town of Sarlat. It is a large older hotel, not difficult to find by car. The price will have changed in the three years since I was there but we found it reasonably priced and very adequate, if not particularly luxurious. Many varieties of rooms so look before you choose if possible. Easy walk to the market and to places to eat and shop. Restaurant in the hotel. But there is not a whole lot to do or see in Sarlat so you might find it more convenient to stay outside and drive in for the day.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Well, I'd disagree that there's not a whole lot to see and do in Sarlat, but in any event would not advise you to stay right in town at the end of July. You will spend all your time trying to get in and out of town, particularly on market days (and there are two of them: big market on Saturdays and smaller one on Wednesdays).

La Roque-Gageac is only about a 10-minute drive from Sarlat, so getting to the market (go early!) wouldn't be a problem. It's a lovely town and has good accommodations and restaurants.
That said, the road running between La Roque-Gageac and the river is very narrow, and at the end of July will be clogged with traffic and tour buses.

My recommendation would be to stay somewhere other than riverside - preferably to the east or south of Sarlat. Towns like Le Bugue, St-Cyprien, Belvès, and Le Buisson have plenty of activity if you want to have restaurants and cafés and shopping available without getting in the car, or there are myriad lovely little countryside villages where you wouldn't be more than a few minutes from a larger town with commerce.

There are plenty of other markets in the area, BTW. It's not essential to join the crush in Sarlat. There's a big one on Tuesdays and a small one on Saturdays in Le Bugue, one on Sunday in St-Cyptien, one on Thursdays in Lalinde, one on Fridays in Montignac, and lots of other smaller ones.

Where is the place that's 1.7 kms north of Sarlat?
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM
ira

Hi Aj,

Mind telling us which hotels you are considering?

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

In Sarlat I am considering a B&B named Villa Marie Genevieve. Near Sarlat, I am considering La Colline de Pechauroil and at La Rouqe Gageac in l'auberge des plantes. All these seem to be small but cozy places. Any experience with any of these palces ?
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM

I should amend what I wrote earlier, StCirq. When I said there is not a whole lot to do or see I was really thinking of my own experience. While we loved the town..it is gorgeous and lovely to walk around, I think that I would have preferred to stay there less than the three days I had alloted and to spend a bit more time in the nearby countryside; and since AJ has kids I was/am not sure how many days they would find things to be occupied there. Did not mean to sound so...well., kind of doozerish.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:16 PM

I'd agree with that, ekscrunchy. Especially about the kids, and especially in July. Most of what's interesting about Sarlat can be seen in about a day, and there's SO much more to see in the surrounding countryside, especially if you have only three days.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:40 PM

I spent the first 2 weeks of May in the Dordogne area, with 5 nights in Sarlat. Even at that time, the traffic was bad getting in and out of Sarlat, especially in the afternoons, and parking is rather difficult. Although Sarlat is lovely, I much preferred the smaller towns and villages I stayed in.Most of the sites your kids would enjoy are outside of Sarlat. Next time, I would stay in La Roque Gageac. Although, as St. Cirq said, in July, maybe not!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:26 AM

I have been twice in a rural hotel about 10 km north of Sarlat. It's in a village called Saint Crépin et Carlucet (but outside the village). It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed. The name of the hotel (or B&B) is Les granges hautes.

www.les-granges-hautes.fr

I think that it's better being in a place like this than in the center of Sarlat
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

StCirq, I am sorry, I missed your question. The place outside Sarlat is 1.6 KM north of Sarlat towards Brive. The site gives me no better address.