Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Places to stay along Italy's southern Adriatic Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all. We're going back to Italy in March, and will be traveling up the Adriatic Coast, from around Brindisi to Giulianova, where we have family. We will have about 3 - 4 days to complete this part of the trip. Any suggestions on must-see towns, restaurants, or places to stay? We prefer smaller villages to big cities, and would love to see the southern beach area. Thanks so much.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Hello? Anyone out there? Would really appreciate your help...
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM

You can get some very good hotel/B&B reviews from SlowTrav.com (also apartment/villa reviews). For example, here are some reviews from the southern part of that range you mention:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/hotels/list.asp?r=Puglia
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM

Hey, my family is from Guilianova. If you go, please post a trip report, let me know what it's like, if I should include it on a trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Vicky, we have been to Giulianova several times before. If you want to send me an email address I'll be happy to share our thoughts & experiences there.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM

Forget about SlowTravel. Its an advertising site that pushes apartment rentals and car rentals. The reviews and itineraries are mainly out of date and it's practically a cult of self-flattering aflluent suburbanites with middlebrow tastes. You do better on Frommer's.

Tripadvisor actually has hundreds up to date reviews of hotels and b&bs in the places you are headed. Venere has fewer, but it is easy to search for availability through the site. For restaurant reviews, you should try egullet and chowhound, although you are going to a more rarely visited (by Americans) area of Italy, so even there you may find reviews skimpy. Chowhound has a search feature.

Lonely Planet is probably your best guidebook for the region.

You might find this helpful in answering your other questions:

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/puglia/index.html

and this

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...a-may-2010.cfm
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vicky - How's your Italian?
http://www.comune.giulianova.te.it/I...0/Default.aspx
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 06:16 AM

Maria I was just south of there (Salento) and then just north in September of 09. We did drive the whole coast, and most of it was lovely. I would have made stops in the area if the trip allowed it. You will end up very close to Ascoli Piceno which I just fell in love with - a jewel box of a town with a great square. If you get a chance to visit it is worth it.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, will definitely look up Ascoli Piceno. And I agree I swear by Trip Advisor and have never been steered wrong with Venere either.
We have firmed up our itinerary, and it's going to be a busy one! We're flying into Rome, picking up a rental car, then heading to Naples/Pompei area for a couple days. Been to Pompei before, but never to the Museum in Naples; also want to try that famous Neapolitan pizza! Then we're driving south-east, stopping in Matera, on to Castellana Grotte. A farmhouse there will be our home for a few more days while we see Lecce, Alberobello, Polignano al Mare, Ostuni. Then up the coast to the Gargano, anxious to see that area, staying one night in Vieste. In March many of the places there are closed, so our options were limited. Then straight up the coast to Giulianova, where we've been before and have family. Then back East, get rid of the car, last few days in Rome. Can't wait!