Reload this Page >

Places to Go in Germany & Italy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Christina

Hello! <BR>My husband and I are planning a month long trip to Europe in September. We are flying in and out of Paris. We plan to stay a few days in Paris, then go to Heidelberg, Rothenberg, Munich, and Schwangau in Germany. Then head into Italy for Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Milan. We plan to rent a motorcycle in Milan and ride up to Lake Como. <BR> <BR>Our plans are pretty loose right now. We want to see some of the typical sites but don't want to follow the typical tourist routes. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any recommendations on other places to go along the way? or places to go, eat, lodge in the cities I mentioned? <BR> <BR>Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 07:58 AM

?

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 04:46 AM
xxx

Do you have a plan already for where you will rent motorcycles? <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Carin

Florence <BR>Hotel Casci on Via Cavour <BR>Piazzale Michelangelo at sunset <BR> <BR>Il Barrocio Restaurant near Via del Proconsolo <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Rex

For your stay (you are going to stay at least one night or two on Lake Como, right?) I recommend: <BR> <BR>Grand Hotel Victoria <BR>Lungolago G. Castelli, 7 <BR>I-22017 Menaggio (Co) Italy <BR>Tel: 011-39-0344-32003 <BR>Fax: 011-39-0344-32992 <BR>e-mail: [email protected] <BR>web: www.palacehotel.it/fghv.html <BR> <BR>Try to get to Villa Balbianello while you are there. <BR> <BR>In Rome, I think the Cesari is an excellent choice. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Christina

Thanks for the suggestions. We haven't decided where in Milan we are going to rent motorcycles. Any suggestions?

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Kathy

Christina, <BR>This sounds like a really ambitious itinerary, but you do have a month, to which I say "Bravo"! <BR> <BR>In Florence, I would recommend the Hotel Aprile. While there, make sure you take a local bus to Fiesole & enjoy that incomparable view, looking down on Florence. Two great restaurants are Da Noi & Il Cavallino in that great city. <BR> <BR>Best Wishes for a lovely month, <BR>Kathy

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Bob

Hotels we have enjoyed: <BR> <BR>Belvedere in Bellagio. Get room on floor 1, their second floor, for great place to watch the lake. <BR> <BR>Hotel Reichs Kutchenmeister in Rothenburg. You cannot beat the location and the food is good. Book in the old original building. <BR> <BR>George V in Paris. Expensive, but great location. <BR> <BR>Hilleprandt in Garmisch. Nice small bed and breakfast. <BR> <BR>Krone in Assmannhausen on the Rhine. Classy and right on the river. <BR> <BR>Alte Thorndecke in Cochem on the Mosel. <BR> <BR>Zur Backmulde in Heidelberg. Three times for us there. Good location, recently remodeled with new rooms. <BR> <BR>Aldrovandi in Rome. Near Borghese gardens. A little out of the way but has one of the rare swimming pools in hotel in Rome. Classy, used to be a private school, I believe. <BR> <BR>Try to visit the Berchtesgaden and Salzburg area. I enjoy these more than Munich. If you stay in Munich you can get out in the suburbs near their subway and go to town that way. The subway is clean and fast way to go downtown. <BR> <BR>If you need any specifics on any of the hotels mentioned, just email and I will try to find numbers or email addresses.