places to eat in Munich

Search

places to eat in Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
places to eat in Munich

First trip to Munich, interested in local type places to eat, beer gardens and other iteresting restaurants.
thanks,
Mike
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Spatenhaus for dinner.

Augustiner Keller beer garden within walking distance of the main train station. I consider it one of the best beers in Bavaria.

On a nice day, stroll thru the English Gardens and have a beer at the Seehaus and/or the Chinese Tower.

Hofbrauhaus -- Go in, take a look, take some pictures, put the check in the box that you've been there, done that, then move on. Lots of better places to eat.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:39 AM

I loved Spatenhaus and Donisl. I have a few moew places and links listed on my websight.

http://richardab.home.comcast.net/Fl...t/MUC_Eat.html
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:27 AM
hsv

Along with Budman's excellent suggestion of Augustiner Keller you might also try:

- Unions Braeu Haidhausen in Haidhausen neighborhood. Hardly any tourists and good local fare. Moderate prices.

- Hofbraeukeller also in Haidhausen neighborhood. Do not confuse this with Hofbraeuhaus in the city, where the food indeed is nothing to rave about. This one is more for the locals, too.

- Wirtshaus in der Au on the other side of the river from Deutsches Museum. Also local cuisine served by young waiters. A bit more upmarket than the other two mentioned. Easily walkable from the city center.

A famous beergarden is Waldwirtschaft ("Wawi&quot somewhere out in the suburb of Pullach. They offer good food and some Jazz on Sundays usually. You might want to take an excursion along the shores of the Isar River out there.

Cheers to you
hsv
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:21 AM

Another vote for Spatenhaus and their own beer. Great value - make sure you have the Bavarian menu with more options and not the cut-down tourist menu.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM
JN

We were there in April and here is a list of our favorites:
1. Hackerhaus--on Senlingerstrasse just off Marienplatz. Great atmosphere, german main courses, deserts and Hacker-Pshorr beer
2. Andechser am Dom--right behind Frauenkirche off of Marienplatz. Awesome schnitzel and that fantastic Andechs beer. Indoor and outdoor seating.
3. Donisl--very moderately priced, traditional german food in old fashioned braurei atmosphere. German music played at night. Very busy-you'll likely share a table, but that is half the fun.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:48 PM

We were very taken with Peterhod, right on the Marienplatz. Great home-made mustards and sauerkraut, along with wonderful breads from a nearby bakery.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM
rex

This is really more of a request than a recommendation - - here's some info on the "contemporary" dining scene in Munich - - www.nytimes.com/2000/12/17/travel/17TAB.html

If it fits your plans, maybe you can see if these places are still doing well, and at the top of their game.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:45 PM

PeterhoF. Sorry.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 12:09 AM

hsv,

I see you're based in Hamburg, but you've obviously spent a lot of time in Munich--given your excellent restaurant recommendations! I concur with all of them.

WaWi is our favorite beer garden in Munich. I actually think you'll find jazz music every day in the summer, weather cooperating. To get there by public transport, take the S-Bahn to Großhesselor. With a decent map, you will be able to walk there in less than 10 minutes from the S-Bahn (S7) stop Großhesselohe.

For those of you who like Weißbier, Isarbräu is an excellent restaurant with a small beer garden. It is actually right at the Großhesselohe S-Bahn stop.

Another excellent place to eat Bavian food (with a mixture of locals and tourists) in the city center is Weißes Bräuhaus on Tal 7. Good Weißbier here, as well.

Another staple beer garden is Seehaus in the English Garden. Easiest way to reach it is by U3/U6 to Münchner Freiheit, then head East until you reach the big garden. You'll soon see a lake. Circle it clockwise and you'll reach the beer garden.

If you're up for an adventure with good food and arguably the best beer in Munich, make a pilgrimage to Adechs, situated on the hills overlooking Amersee. For this, you would need to take the S-Bahn to Herrsching, then hike uphill for about 35-40 minutes. It's well worth the effort!

Speaking also for RufusTFirefly, visit Liebighof, located in the neighborhood "Lehel"

Other than that, we eat mostly Italian in Munich, because there is so many good choices.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 12:12 AM

excuse the typo--the destination high atop Amersee is Andechs.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:28 AM

I am not much of a beer drinker, so I enjoyed Pfalzer Weinstube. Regular patrons (who also are more wine than beer drinkers)claim it's more 'civilized' than a beer garden!

I had to go there twice so I could enjoy their white sausages, then a red one. mm mm.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:06 AM

I would defintely recommend a "pilgimage" to Andechs. I read recently on the Deutche Welle website that it might be closed soon. Apparently the Diocese of Munich does not believe a monastery should be in the business of brewing beer!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:07 AM
hsv

Riffic,

thanks for the clarifications on my suggestions regarding "Wawi". In fact I had a feeling that there should be Jazz there everyday, but I was only reasonably certain that they would play at least on Sunday.
I almost always cannot remember the suburb's name of Grosshesselohe and always keep thinking of it in being in nearby Pullach, but evidently having this knowledge it should be much easier to find.
I always enjoy to rent a bike in order to get there from the city center, though, cycling along the Isar River. Bikes are easily available from Deutsche Bahn and can be picked up and dropped literally on any streetcorner.

In addition, I will gladly second the recommendations of Weißes Brauhaus in Tal and Liebighof in Lehel, too.

Although (as a water-loving North German) I do enjoy the setting of Seehaus, I found their food prices the last time I visited a bit over the top. One might just stick to a pretzel and a beer as well and eat in one of the other places suggested.

Thanks for your compliments, too. In fact I do keep travelling to Munich at least once a month and keep enjoying the "beergarden culture" prevalent there.

A cheerful "Pfueat Di" to you
hsv
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Riffic and hsv are right on target with the Liebighof.

http://www.liebighof.com/

We found Germany relatively inexpensive for meals--if you aren't looking for gourmet dining experiences.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:38 AM

I second the vote on the Spatenhaus. Great food and good value. The food market near the Marienplatz is fun too!