My Munich Trip Report - Part 1

May 9th, 2001, 07:36 PM
richardab

My Munich Trip Report - Part 1

OK, the jet lag is gone and I am ready to write about my holiday in Munich, as promised.

1) I love this city! Not at all what I expected. Much better. I stayed 3.5 days and could have easily done 2 more.

2) The people. These are the most friendly people I have met in Europe. Almost everyone speaks perfect English and is willing to help. Many times people would come up to me and offer the advice or share a bit of history with me.

3) The shopping. Fabulous. The pedestrian area around the Marienplatz bustles with shops selling everything from fine tuned German cutlery to clothing. I couldn't tear myself away. The current value of the dollar makes everything seem like a bargain. Check out the dept store Galleria Kaufhof, they carry everything! They have a great food market on the lower level. Good for candy, jams, wine and other specialties.

4) Cleanliness. This city is spotless. You could eat off the streets (but don't do it). This is a modern city because most of Munich was distroyed in the war, but it has a lot of restoration and European charm.

5) The church bells! When the bells of the city start ringing it is so magical! It give you a warm small town feel, except they ring so loud that its makes your hair stand on end!

6) The beer. Hello..... This is the specialty of Bavaria. I don't drink beer and by the time the trip was over i was having a 2 beer lunch and a 2 beer dinner!

7) The pretzels. Hello.... What is the best think to eat with beer? These soft Bavarian pretzels are served at every meal. They are soft on the inside and crusty on the outside with just the right amount of salt.

8) The candy. Get a few candy bars from the brands MILKA and KINDER. You'll never eat Herseys again.

9) Munich Airport. This is my favorite airport in Europe if not the world. This is German efficency at its best. i love that there is a S-Bahn station in the terminal to transfer you to downtown. Don't take a taxi, they cost a fortune.

10) The U-Bahn and S-Bahn. This is an amazing and efficient system. I like that fact that you buy a ticket but no one ever checks it. This is the honor system at its best, stations are well marked and system maps are easy. The tickets are a bit hard to buy because ticket machines are in German, but its easy to figure out. it some buttons, see what happens. You will usually only need a ticket for Zone 1 unless you are going to Schloss Nymphenburg, Dachau or the airport. If you buy a ticket from Munich Airport to the city center, you will learn how to use there becasue in the airport they have English machines.

This is the end of part 1, use the search function to find MY MUNICH TRIP REPORT - Part 2

May 9th, 2001, 07:45 PM
Art

Hi, Loved hearing about Munich and interest in more. I was there many years ago and will be thee next Sept.
Please post you additional reports here as responses. It makes them much easier to follow and to find.
Regards
Art

May 9th, 2001, 08:11 PM
richardab

Good Idea! Here it is...

MY MUNICH TRIP REPORT - Part 2

11) The Residenz. This is the former Bavarian Royal Palace. Although much of it was distroyed during the war, much of it has been restored.

12) Marienplatz - This is the center of Munich and Bavaria. The Neues Rathaus (New City hall), built in the 19th century gothic style is a memorable sight. At 10.30, noon and 5.30, the Glockenspiel has its performance. You can climb the steps to the top of the tower to see all of Munich from above. The old Ratskeller Beer Hall is in the basement of the City Hall and offers great Bavarian food and beer. I had the German sausage platter and nearly cried it was so good.

13) Schloss Nymphenburg. This is the Wittelsbachs summer palace. It is more sophisticated than the Residenz and done in a French style. Worth the combined U-bahn and street car trip to the suburbs. The garden are fun to wander in but HUGE!

14) The Churches - The Frauenkirche, Peterskirche, Theatinerkirche, etc These are all worth a look. The Frauenkirche and Peterskirche also have a tower that you can visit. The Peterskirche has a great view of the Rathaus (City hall) from the tower. The Peterskirche is the oldest church in Munich. If you are in the tower when the bells ring you will feel the tower sway! This is a good place to watch the playing of the Glockenspiel at the Rathaus.

15) The Viktualienmarkt - This is an outside market and sort of like a mini Octoberfest. There are stands selling everything from beer, honey wine, fruits, cheese and meats. Lots of stuff to taste. You can also get a good lunch at one of the many food stands selling beer, sausages and other foods. Fun!

16) The Duetsches Museum - I didn't have any time to go here but it is suppose to be great!

17) A stroll along the Isar River. This is a nice walk. There are shady paths along the river. On the way check out the Isotar (Isar gates) which is the remain of a tower from the wall that once surrounded the city.

18) The Englischer Garten --I didn't go here either, but did you know you can nude sunbath here legally?

19) Salzburg - If you have time Salzburg is 2 hours by train. The ticket cost is about $40 r/t. You can buy your ticket at the Hauptbahnhof.

20) More sights - There are tons more sight I didn't get to see! Dachau, Judisches Museum, Bayerisches nationmuseum (Bavarian National Museum), Staatsgalerie Moderner Kunst (Modern Art Museum, BMW museum, Olympic Park, etc.

CONTINUED BELOW......

May 9th, 2001, 08:16 PM
Betsy

Richard, I'm laughing out loud at your new found thirst for German beer. The very same thing happened to me. Seldom drank the stuff until I went to Bavaria, and now I can hardly wait to get back for more. Hardly ever touch US beer.

We stayed in a guest house outside Munich where the owner keeps the beer in a mountain stream that he has diverted into a fountain in his yard, a perfect place to store this wonderful liquid!

We love Milka bars too. We can find them here in CA at Cost Plus, but they're way more expensive than in Germany.

May 9th, 2001, 08:44 PM
richardab

CONTINUED - PART 3

OK this part is about the food!

21) German food is hearty and delicious.

22) The pork, pork, pork, pork. The Germans call it schwien, I call it delicious. You can get everything from pork knuckles to sausage to roast pork. All served with those amazing delicious dumplings! Don't forget the beer and pretzels!

23) The politically incorrect stuff. Weiner Schnitzel. Deep fried veal cutlet with a squeeze of lemon. mmmmmmmm

24) Apfelstrudel - The first time I had this I nearly cried. Its delicious!

25) Donisl - Weinstrasse 1 - off the Marienplatz - Munich oldest beer hall. Great food, great atmosphere, great beer. Seat yourself at a table of your choice and enjoy the German music while you eat. Can be smokey, sit in the open atrium area.

26) Spatenhaus - Residenzstrasse 12 (across from the Residenz) Another great beer hall. There specialty? SPATEN beer! The food is great and it has a nice interior. Good Weiner Schnitzel.

27) Deutsche Eiche - Reichenbachstrasse 13 - Just outside the Marienplatz. This is a good restaurant serving generous plates of food with reasonable prices. The atmosphere is soothing. This is a mixed gay and artsy friendly place so you are bound to see a few characters here.

28) Communal tables - All tables in beer halls are communal no matter what he size. People will always squeeze in. People are very friendly and you may just make a new german friend or meet a fellow American from Des Moines.

29) Smoking - Ok this is a smokey city. You have to just forget about it and don't let it bother you. Some aren't ventilated very well. Many places have outside seating. Don't talk about it with the locals, they are passionate about their 'right' to smoke in public.

30) The Advokat Hotel - Baaderstrasse 1, near the Isotar (Isar Gate) - I loved this hotel. It is very modern, simple and clean. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. They offer a huge delicious continental breakfast with your room rate in a nice bright room. Beds have comforters and rooms have good closet space. Everyday they left an apple on my pillow and a chocolate on the nightstand. Very nice. The bathrooms are spotless and have great showers and good towels. The best part is the rate, I paid 230DM ($103) for a single room. Check out their websight http://www.hotel-advokat.de

Well that's the end for now. As you can see I had a great time. If anyone has any questions, please send me an Email!

May 10th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Karen

This sound like a great trip. Do you think Munich is more interesting than Amsterdam?

May 10th, 2001, 07:32 AM
herself

Thank you Richard.
Great report. We will be in Munich this October. Can't wait.

May 10th, 2001, 09:22 AM
ellen

Thanks for your report. I will be in Munich in two weeks and you've given me many helpful hints.

May 10th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Thyra

Welcome back richard! Lovely trip report, my husband and I both fell in love with Munich and can't wait to go back!

May 10th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Erie

Hi Richard

sounds great...but it is Schwein!

Erie

May 10th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Art

Hi Richard, I too loved the food when in Germany. I also hardly ever drank beer here is the US and still don't, but, in Germany I became a guzzler. The thing that I miss most is the sausage that they have. I came close last year in the Czech Republic, but only close. I can't wait until I hit Berlin in Sept at the start of my trip and Munich and Frankfurt at the end of it. I'm glad that you enjoyed Munich.
Regards
Art

May 10th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Hans H

Nice to hear that you liked Munich.

I noticed that many English speakers make the mistake of shifting the "ei" to "ie", probably because the pronounciation is odd for them. The "ei" is pronounced as "eye" while "ie" is pronounced as "ee" in German and I guess that for English speakers it would be more natural the other way round. I thought to mention it since it might result in serious problems if one tries to use search machines and the remembered pronounciation always results in no hits.

May 10th, 2001, 02:42 PM
richardab

Hans - Sorry for the incorrect spelling of 'schwein'. I actually know the correct spelling but my typing finger reverted to habit. Regardless, I still love to eat SCHWEIN!

May 10th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Shanna

Ahhhh, Richard, thank you, you brought back the best memories. I, too, was astounded by the friendliness of the people and oh yes the bier. Did you try Weissbier and sausage - before 11 am with that yummy relishly mustard? Too bad you didn't get to the Garten. I was astounded - it was like something out of a Victorian postcard: young ladies on bicycles, elderly couples strolling arm in arm, kids chasing dogs, dogs chasing kids, babies in prams. It was December, so many were wearing black coats and hats - added to the Victorian look. You're right about sharing tables - what fun! Can be embarrassing, tho'. I was at a restaurant with another couple (American) when two German gentlemen sat down. We were speaking English, they German, and unlike others did not say hello in English or in any way indicate that they could speak it. So, after a while, it being late and my having had a couple of beers, I remarked quietly to my friends that one of the gentlemen had the look of a Botticelli angel. Immediately thereupon, they spoke to us in English and I blushed to my roots. He was a stunning man, and I doubt he was offended. And what a delightful stroll along the river - peaceful, beautiful. Yep, gotta go back! Oh did you have the bratwurst? I will do just about anything to get brat and have eaten just about everything in the states that calls itself brat, but can't find it. Thanks again.

May 10th, 2001, 03:10 PM
curious

Richard - thx for the report. You are pretty high on Munich, but what about the other areas in Europe you visited. Could you give us some insight there, too (and maybe a comparison between the cities). Thx.

May 10th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Richardab

I also went to Florence and Salzburg. I was not really overwhelmed with Florence. I did not like my hotel and I thought the city was a bit touristy. Don't get me wrong, I did like it but I am a huge fan of Rome and I think it is more cosmopolitan. Salzburg was nice for a day trip but it was a long day and I regretted not spending more time in Munich. The train ride to Salzburg was awesome. It was a clear day so the snowcapped alps were visible.

When I get a chance I will write a more detailed report on what i like in Florence.

May 10th, 2001, 08:43 PM
John

Hey Richard,
thanks for your report. We will be in Munich in 27 days, but only have 2 days there.
I lived in Munich for two years, but this is my first time back in 16 years. Your report reminded me of all that I have missed about the city and has really whetted my appetite. Now, I can hardly wait.
First on my list is the Munich 2nd breakfast of Weisswurst and bier on Marienplatz. After that, look out Isartor, here I come.
Thanks for your post and for reminding me of some things about Munich I had forgotten. You've already improved the outlook for my stay there. Thanks.
John

May 10th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Ty

Richard,

Thank you for reponding to my request and for these trip reports. Your enjoyment of the area, people, and food...and ..of course..beer. has excited me for my trip next month. DId you have a chance to get to Dachau?

May 10th, 2001, 11:11 PM
David

Ty, I have been living in Munich for just over a year and I would highly recommend Dachau. Easy to get to with the S-bahn and a very moving (not depressing) experience. There is an English language tour (I think at 11:30 or 12:30 most days - it will be in most guidebooks) and it is very interesting. I have taken several visitors there - including my 75 yo father, and all have appreciated the experience.

May 11th, 2001, 06:43 AM
topper

to the top

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO