Pisa where to stay what to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Pisa in June. We have only passed through and never stayed there so I have no idea which areas are good to stay in and what hotels we might look in to.
I'd appreciate any suggestions re. hotels, restaurants, museums, etc.
Thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM

I can't speak for hotels or restaurants, but as for museums and etc. There is a nice museum on the Campo dei Miracoli, as well as an old bell tower that is interesting to see.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
jay

We stayed at the Hotel Duomo. It is a half block from the tower and Duomo. Pisa is realy a half day town. We just syayed overnight and then did the tower etc. in the morning.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I was really disappointing in Paisa and I'd recommend only passing through to see the sights. We stayed at Il Pellicano in Porto Ercole and really enjoyed the location.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Look at Grand Hotel Bonnnano.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Pisa is a lovely town. There is much more than the famous tower and other obvious landmarks. For me it is not half a day town. Pisa was an important maritime power in the Middle Ages before loosing its power to Florence and Genova.The old city is charming full of history . If one puts oneself in" a straight jacket "and limits one self to see only the main sights as listed in basic guide books it might be seen in half a day. For me this a sad way of traveling.
The Francesco is a three stars hotel in Via Santa Maria
129 , renovated in an old building.It was full, but I thought it was ok.
The Royal Victoria in lungarno Paciotti is the best of the two hotels we have stayed in Pisa.
Should you be traveling in a budget and if you have a car there is an unpretensious two stars Villa Primavera located in Via Bonanno Pisano 43. Parking was free when we were there last and it was convenient to get in and out of Pisa.Breakfast was so, so.
We enjoyed eating in A Casa Mia and in Da Gino, great fish ,

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM

You could also consider Lucca, which is only 30 minutes from Pisa.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Both of the restaurants were not close to downtown. I cannot remember the names of other places close to the hotels. Sorry.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM

I completely agree with Graziella that Pisa is a really nice destination. I think most people never get past the cheesy Leaning Tower area and explore the rest of the town.

I haven't been there for many years so can't offer you specific suggestions, but just wanted to refute the Pisa is a total bore notion, which is unfortunately too common.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Regarding the hotels I wish to add that in Villa Primavera and the Royal Victoria you should see the room first because they vary a lot.
None is ideal but as I said we did not have reservations and had to take what was available, however we looked the rooms and were able to have a choice.
Probaby the best choice of the three hotels I mentioned is the Francesco , I did have a look and thought it was a pleasant small hotel.
For restaurant avoid all the restaurants close to the area of the Tower, they seem to be terrible tourist traps. Ask the locals as we did .