pin for credit cards

Aug 17th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

pin for credit cards

Hi,

I will be in Germany, Belgium and Netherlands in Sept for holidays. I own chip based credit cards and I'm planning to use credit cards for purchases, train tickets and hotels But not for ATM cash withdrawels. My question is do I need a pin number for those transactions.? Thanks
Aug 17th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Yes you need a four figure PIN with a chip CC.
Aug 17th, 2010, 02:14 AM

Assuming of course your card is compatible with the C&P system used there
Aug 17th, 2010, 02:54 AM

Never needed to use a pin for my credit card purchases in Germany (stores, hotels, supermarkets, gas stations etc.). If you however buy tickets from a machine, there's hardly an alternative. All the new credit cards I recieve in the mail now come with a chip, never had to use or was asked for a PIN. Would be a pity if I had to memorize even more numbers.
Aug 17th, 2010, 02:59 AM

Don't forget that you can change your PIN to something you find a bit easier to remember - you don't have to use the PIN you are sent by the bank (other than the first time, obviously).
Aug 17th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Rm67 not every bank/CC company allows that.

AlanRow, yes I should have added that pont. If it isn't C&P compatible you an still sign for things, but can't use it in ticket machines.

Logos, in the Netherlands you have to use your PIN, same in France, and I imagine it is also the case in Belgium though I haven't tried it there.
If you don't use a PIN how do they know you aren't using a stolen card?
Aug 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM

>how do they know you aren't using a stolen card?
They don't and since your liability is limited to 50 or 100€ before you report the theft and after that to nothing, who cares anyway? The Bank has to take the risk like it should be. They're making money out of it. Sound like grim times to come, if my "good name" isn't good anymore.

"Just use your good name to pay". Havn't seen those TV ads for a few years now.

Don't think they'll introduce this in Germany.

If I want to use a Pin, I can always use my Maestro debit card and even they only require a PIN now and then. Using my debit card, REWE and Tengelmann stores want my signature, while Lidl wants a PIN.
Aug 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Austria too doesn't need a PIN using your CC to pay for things. Would be interesting to find out about Belgium??
Aug 17th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Debit cards here need a PIN - I pay for everything that way. Very rarely have any cash on me. Even really small amounts can be paid for with PIN here.
You should be able to pay for things in NL with your Maestro card and a PIN too. That's the theory at least .
Aug 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I vaguely remember a thread sometime ago on one of the travel sites that dealt with the fact that if you supplied a PIN with your credit card it would cost you more because of the way the card was charged. I think they would charge the card in your native currency and the fees would be higher. The bottom line was always charge the card in the currency of the country you are in and for CREDIT cards never give a PIN. I'm sure someone out there knows more about this and I would be happy to be refreshed on this issue.
Aug 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM

That is dynamic currency exchange and happens even in the US where PINs aren't accepted. It has nothing whatsoever to do with a PIN.
Refuse it and make the payment in local currency always.

You of course should never give your PIN to another person, certainly not to someone you are paying. Defeats the entire object of a PIN.
Aug 19th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your comments but I'm still confuse.In my country Malaysia, I don't need a pin number for credit/debit card transactions for purchases. We only need a pin for ATM withdrawel. During my previous trip to France, Austria, Switzerland and Italy, I could use my chip credit cards{visa/master] without a need to key in a pin even for train ticket machines. For my trip to Germany, Belgium and Netherlands, do I need a pin for credit purchases like hotels, train tickets and supermarkets? I seem to have read in some post that I might need one. I don't have any pins for my credit cards [have forgotten] and I'm worried that it might be a problem. I don't own a debit card, so will solely use visa/master credit cards.
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:00 AM

credit card in Germany = no PIN needed anywhere, just signature EXCEPT for ticket machines.

But CC not accepted everywhere, locals prefer CASH (out of tradition and a deep distrust in plastic cards and banks).
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

On second reading, I understand from logos 999 that a pin is not needed for chip based credit cards in Germany.
hetismij, I understand that a pin is needed for debit cards in NL. How about credit cards because I will be using credit cards as I find that exchange rates charged by my bank [citibank] is quite fair.
How about for Belgium? thanks
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:07 AM

> pin is not needed for chip based credit cards in Germany.
Correct, just sign as usual.
Would be interesting for mee too, to find out about Belgium.
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks logos 999 for your replies. Plan to use credit cards only for major purchases in bigger outlets and hotels. It will be a hassle for ticket machines if pin is needed. Do ticket machines accept cash because I hate to waste time queing up for the counter?
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:33 AM

>ticket machines accept cash
Yes, banknotes and coins up to 20€ usually, the change will be given in coins only, so you may end up with a lot of 2€ coins.
A 50€ bill can be changed virtually anywhere, but it's always good to have a few 20€ or less on hand. Germans also use cash for big purchases like cars, etc.

This is the standard ticket machine:

http://www.moegglingen.de/servlet/PB...tenautomat.jpg

accepts coins, cards and bills.
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM

I meant all banknotes up to 20€ and all coins from 10ct. For a more expensive ticket, you need to put several bills into the machine.
Aug 19th, 2010, 03:55 AM

Dutch (train)ticket machines only accept coins. If you CC works it is better to use that. In theory a Maestro debit card with 4 figure PIN will also work.

http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers
Aug 19th, 2010, 05:14 AM

logos999
I have used my UK chip & pin credit card in Germany during the past three years, and on some occasions I have had to tap in PIN on keypad instead of signing a slip, esp at petrol stations. Exclusively PIN in France, usually in Spain, sometimes in Italy, usually in Hungary and Ireland. In countries where chip and pin is being introduced, it seems to vary with service establishments.

meilim
You should get your PIN for your credit cards before travelling to Europe, as there is no way of knowing whether PIN is required or just signature (sometimes both).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO