Search

Pin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:44 PM
david

Pin

Ok now I'm curious - what is this pin everyone refers to??

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:52 PM
Rex

It's quite a long story... <BR> <BR>from the thread, &lt;&lt;Tallying pin recipients, empty envelopes, and got nothing&gt;&gt;, posted at 5/31/2001, 4:50 pm ET, here are some images (and some of the history) - - <BR> <BR>"my" Fodor's logo ribbon pin - - the "original"... <BR> <BR>http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/LogoPin.htm <BR> <BR>"their" pin... <BR> <BR>http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/FodorsPin.htm <BR> <BR>and both pins, side by side... <BR> <BR>http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/BothPins.htm <BR> <BR>================================ <BR> <BR>and further back in history... <BR> <BR>&lt;&lt;A Ribbon in Your lapel will say" Fodorite"&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:15 PM
Art

A couple of months ago Fodors Editors announced that they were making a lapel pin. They had a register for 2 days where you could sign up. They started shipping them in plain envelopes and many arrived with holes in the envelopes and the pin had fallen out. Many others did not get an envelope (line me). Rex started a thread keeping track of who got a pin, who got an empty envelope and who got nothing. Fodors (bless there heart) must have been paying attention and seen the thread and resent new pins in padded envelopes. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:19 PM
Art

I forgot to mention. The whole idea of a pin came from fodorites getting together or recognizing each other when traveling. Rex created the first one and then Fodors came up with theirs. <BR>Cheers, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:43 PM
Holly

And Art arranged the first state-side get-together to talk about traveling. He's arranging his third now.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:10 PM
xxx

Well let's not leave Elizabeth out of this. The pin was her idea. <BR> <BR>Now if I'd just get MINE! Some of you folks have received your second pin. I have yet to get even a torn envelope, and I requested one the very FIRST day. <BR> <BR>Have even written a polite note to the editors, but nada so far. <BR> <BR>Still bummed in SF

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:12 AM
xxx

IIRC, I think Elizabeth's original idea was to wear a blue ribbon when traveling to identify oneself as a Fodorite. Rex came up with some design ideas for a pin, and later Fodor's decided to produce and distribute an "official" Fodor's pin.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:29 AM
xxx

If I recall correctly, Elizabeth first mentioned the possiblity of a pin and Rex jumped on the idea and designed one.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:12 AM
Art

I apologize for not crediting Elizabeth. Indeed the original idea came from her. See how things can progress, from someone having an idea to someone creating a ribbon to Fodors creating a pin. Great forum. <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:54 PM
David

thanks to everyone for your responses - now I know!!!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:49 PM
Nyet

So, now, how do I get mine???

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 09:06 AM
xxx

I GOT MINE!! See my reply below Holly's which outlines the history of my request. Well, the happy conclusion to the story is that a bright shiny pin appeared in my mailbox yesterday. It was postmarked June 27, mailed in a padded envelope with a nice note from Danny and Aisling. <BR> <BR>Looking forward to connecting with other Fodorites in October in Italy. <BR> <BR>THANKS SO MUCH!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Sheila

Since I am the proud recipient of 2, and oddly, my husband doesn't want one, the first person to email with a request and an address gets the duplicate. I'll even pay the postage

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Joanna

Thanks Fodors, I have now received two pins (don't know how that happened!). Anyway, as I only need one, if anyone missed out please e-mail me - I'm happy to send my spare to a good home.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Holly

A generous offer, Joanna, but you should probably hang on to that second pin. A jealous fodorite who never received one might just pick the first one off your lapel while you're guarding your pockets.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Laura

If anyone has a spare Fodor's pin, I sure would love to have one! I missed the opportunity to order one....I sure wish Fodor's would make more available. I was recently in San Diego and on a bus where I saw a young woman carrying and referring to her Fodor's guide book. Had she been wearing a Fodor's pin, I would have felt more comfortable trying to start a conversation with her <BR>By the way, how can I find out what these pins look like?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:46 AM
ron

Laura, you can find out what it looks like by looking at that logo on the top left corner of this page - the black cliff diver with the red head in front of the blue globe. on the pin, "fodors.com" is below the globe.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:55 AM
s.fowler

Well I *finally* got my torn envelope, empty -- carefully wrapped in plastic by USPS -- two weeks AFTER I got the pin careful nestled in its padded cell

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:10 AM
topper

to the top

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:18 PM
topping

topping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -