Reload this Page >

Pilatus or Schilthorn?

Search

Pilatus or Schilthorn?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:36 PM
vic

Pilatus or Schilthorn?

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I'm going with my wife to Switzerland for the first time and would like some opinions on these two mountain excursions. Pending good weather, if you had to choose, which one would you pick and why? Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 10:48 PM
Ursula

vic hello: <BR> <BR>No question: Schilthorn! You will want to have a look at the Jungfrau, I suppose! ;-) .. and Eiger and Mönch too.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:02 AM
Myer

Pilatus is a hill compared to the Schilthorn. That's not to say it doesn't provide a beautiful view of Lucerne when clear. <BR>If you are in Lucerne with relatively limited time you could go by train or boat from Lucerne to Alpnachstad, then the steepest train in the world (I think) up Pilatus. There is a restaurant there. Then take the cable car down the front to Kriens and local bus back to Lucerne. Doable in several hours. <BR>The Schilthorn is an all day excursion (depending upon where you are based). From Interlaken train to Lauterbrunen. Then funicular up and little train to Murren. Then large cable car up the Schilthorn. Beautiful view of the BIG three. Rotating restaurant, etc. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:19 AM
pat

Absolutely Schilthorn! Plan on all day, bring sunglasses and warm clothes. You can stop at Muerren and Gimmelwalt on the way up or back and catch the next funicular. Have fun!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Ed

From an "absolutist" perspective, the Schilthorn, clearly. <BR> <BR>Here's the scoop: <BR> <BR>Pilatus: 2070 m (6800 ft) <BR>View: Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstättersee) and distant city of Luzern <BR>Higher peaks within proximity: None <BR> <BR>Schilthorn: 2970 m (9734 ft) <BR>View: A panorama of higher snow-covered peaks <BR>Higher peaks within proximity: Jungfrau, Mönch and Eiger, most famously, but a host of others as well. <BR> <BR>Part of the answer is where you'll be when you make the trip, and how long you'll be there. If in Luzern for only a day or two you may want to go to Pilatus which is only 30 minutes away, or less, rather than the Schilthorn which is about three hours plus away. <BR> <BR>And if you have more time in Switzerland, perhaps you really ought to be staying down in the Jungfrau region if you want mountain experiences, rather than daytripping there. <BR> <BR>For more on Swiss mountaintop excursions see <BR>www.twenj.com/swmountaintrips.htm <BR> <BR> <BR>See also www.schilthorn.ch and <BR>www.pilatus.com <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 12:05 PM
vic

Such overwhelming votes for Schilthorn! That'll be our choice, then. We only have a day in Luzern and it sounds like our time will be better spent in the city, especially since we'll have two days in Murren. Let's just pray for good weather while in the Alps. Thanks everyone for your opinions. It's much appreciated. <BR>