Piero della Francesco Trail

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piero della Francesco Trail

During May and June I will be in Florence for two weeks before joining my son/family in a house near Greve for another two weeks. Does anyone know whether or not there are commercial "Piero d. F. Trail" tours offered from Florence? I have seen the lovely frescoes in Arezzo, but would dearly love to go to Sans Sepolcro and possibly as far as Urbino to see other work of his. Don't drive in Italy and fear that it would be an awesome undertaking for me to "train/bus" these sites from Firenze.

By the way, I have become addicted to this site - come to my computer just before bedtime at night to spend "a few minutes" checking it out and end up glued to the monitor for hours reading posts from LoveItaly, Will Travel, etc. etc.! Thank you all!
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I tried three times to post with links to specific schedules on various bus lines, and I'm afraid I haven't the energy to do it for a fourth time.

If you are in Florence for two weeks and can afford three or four days, it can be done; not easily, but it can be done.

Florence - Arezzo - Sansepolcro
www.sita-on-line.it
(Look at the section called Valtiberina)

Sansepolcro - Urbino
http://www.baschetti.it
(They have an English version (Union Jack); click on Services)
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Sorry: Section called Valtiberina only comes up after you click on Toscana.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 04:41 AM

I'm planning my Italy trip for May and also plan to go to Arezzo, Sansepolcro, and Monterchi for the Pieros. I've been to Arezzo and Urbino during another trip.

In the Let's Go guide it states that there is bus service every hour from Arezzo to Sansepolcro and that Sansepolcro is most easily accessible from Arezzo. Buy tickets "ahead and to the left from train station" at the ATAM ticket office.

Have you seen the restored frescoes in Arezzo (timed tickets required) or did you see them prior to restoration? I'm looking forward to seeing them again since I haven't seen the restored version.

Sansepolcro to Monterchi is 16km so if you can't find bus service (and I don't remember a bus depot or much else in Monterchi) you could always spring for a cab from Sansepolcro.

Urbino would mean a train from Florence to Pesaro (3.5 hours) and then an hour on a bus.

Have fun with the Pieros!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - Eloise and adrienne - I'll have a great time following up on your suggestions - tomorrow - after I recuperate from yesterday's wonderful gathering of sons/wives, grandchildren, assorted dogs assisitng in the indoor Easter egg hunt, an overflowing dining room and pouring rain outside. It was glorious, but "Nana" needs to regroup today!