Piedmont- Two Choices

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piedmont- Two Choices

We have narrowed down the choices for our stay in Piedmont.

Truth be told Baur B&B does not have the dates we are traveling. I was disappointed however from the reviews I do not think we will be disappointed with the 2nd option.

Torn between:

Villa Sampaguita-excellent reviews

Or

Cascina Christiana-Also excellent reviews and looks to be in a very central location to visit Alba, Asti, Acqui Terme etc.

I have searched this board to help me make my decision...any advice or thoughts that may affect this outcome I would love to hear about.

Thank you,
robyn
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:02 AM

We will be at Villa Sampaguita in 3 weeks based on feedback from others. When are you traveling?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

We are traveling the end of Sept/Oct. 2008. Our dates for Piedmont are early Oct. 2008.

We are torn on these two places. I guess we can't go wrong with such great reviews. I am leaning towards Villa Sampaguita.

Any thoughts would be great. I look forward to your trip report when you return.

Thank you,
Robyn
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:54 AM

I can heartily recommend Villa Sampaguita. I just returned this past Sunday from my second stay there this year. I spent 3 days at Villa Sampaguita in mid-May with my husband and I enjoyed it so much I decided to return for a week this month by myself (I still had some vacation time but my husband didn't).

Villa Sampaguita is quite centrally located for visiting most places in Piemonte. It is just a few minutes outside Asti, but located in the countryside and so it is very peaceful. It is very easy to drive into Asti for dinner or lunch if you wish. It normally only took me about 5-7 minutes to drive into Asti from Villa Sampaguita.

Also, V.S. is just a few kilometers from the A21 Autostrada, so if you have a rental car, it's only 1/2 hour drive to reach Torino. Within 30 to 40 minutes, you can easily reach Alba or the Langhe and Roero areas with their wonderful wineries and stunning hilltop towns. Within 1 hour, you can be in Genoa or Milan.

But I think the best thing about Villa Sampaguita are its wonderful hosts, Tim and Rina. Rina's breakfasts and dinners are incredible and many of her ingredients come from Villa Sampaguita's own gardens - grapes, melons, figs, tomatos, peppers, herbs - all fresh every day. Eggs come fresh from their chickens. V.S. also has its own vineyard and the wines Tim has made are really great too.

Also, Tim is a wealth of knowledge of the local areas. He spends time every morning after breakfast with his guests, giving personalized advise on places they wish to visit, providing detailed maps and arranging winery tours if you desire. I spent my afternoons last week driving all over Piemonte, mostly on small country roads, and I never got lost once, thanks to Tim's maps!

Hope this information helps a bit.

Tery
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM

We just stayed at Vecchio Podere Santa Cristiana (I did a review on the Slow Travel site and there are reviews on Trip Advisor). It is a B&B in a working vineyard about a mile outside Castelnuovo Belbo. The owners moved there from Grerat Britian to operate the vineyard. We enjoyed the location, the peace and quiet, and especially the ability to just take off on long walks across the country-side. Breakfast was great and there is pool with a great view. It's worth looking at. I think their website is called www.stayinpiedmont.com or something like that. Feel free to ask any specific questions.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM

Cascina Christiana is fantastic!! My husband and I stayed for about 5 nights this past January. Very comfortable beds, clean, good linen, great hosts and beautiful view--private parking also. We are returning to the Piedmont in October 2008 and, of course, we have considered staying somewhere else, but no way, we'll return to Cascina Christiana!!