Picnics in Paris..drinking and prices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've googled this many times and have not been able to find a conclusive answer. Is it actually okay to drink while having a picnic in one of the parks in Paris? I've found answers like "yes, it's fine", "it's illegal but no one says anything", "I've actually had a policeman come up and tell us to put it away and all the Parisians cheered", and "it's illegal at Champs de Mars". Can someone please tell me whether it's actually okay or not?

Also..can anyone tell me average prices for a picnic in Paris (bread, wine, cheese, etc)?
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM

The price of the picnic items depends on where you buy them.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:10 PM

You may have missed this thread from a few years ago:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...aris-parks.cfm

We picnicked on a bench with a view of the Eiffel Tower enjoying food from the cheese shop on the rue du Champ de Mars, a boulangerie on the rue Cler and desserts from Le Notre. We bought a couple of kitchen towels also on the rue Cler to lay under our food. Took those home, laundered and still use them in our kitchen.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Just today my wife and I enjoyed a picnic lunch in the Jardin du Luxembourg with wine and food from Gilles Verdot. We spent around 40 euro, but of course your picnic can cost whatever you want it to cost, from 5 euro to 500.

We've enjoyed wine in public places on many occasions and never had a problem.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 07:52 AM

In recent years the French have cracked down a bit on the open container laws in public places. But the law is spotty. You can't drink on the Champ de Mars, for example, between 4 pm and 7 pm. So it's a crap shoot, with not all of Parisian public places being illegal to drink, and you probably won't know what the law is for any particular picnic spot. In general, the French police are more likely to target you for noise or disruption, but in many places they do have the option of telling you you can't drink.

As for how much a picnic costs, obviously it depends on how many in your party, what you choose to eat and drink, and where you buy it.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

It'll be our honeymoon, so (of course) just the two of us. But it's good to know a range... we're doing a honeymoon registry and I was trying to come up with a decent "picnic in Paris" price to put down for it.

I was just curious since I could never find a conclusive answer on whether drinking was okay, but I suppose I'll just take a bottle and try not to be obvious about it!